Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shimmed their oil pressure relief valve spring to increase oil pressure? Baisley sells 2 different springs, but 22 bucks for a 50 cent spring is ridiculous. I turned a couple of spacers 1 -1/8" and 1 - 1/4" to fit in the plunger and have tried to measure the spring pressure, but find it to be difficult - or at least not real accurate. Anyone do this?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was worried about the Oil Pressure I'd Upgrade the Pump, or at least buy the $22 Spring.
I had a lifter failure and the general consensus seems to be that higher oil pressure helps the failure rate. If you shim valve springs to the proper seat pressure, why not the relief valve spring?

·
old scoot coot
3,080 Posts
I had a lifter failure and the general consensus seems to be that higher oil pressure helps the failure rate. If you shim valve springs to the proper seat pressure, why not the relief valve spring?
hey jeff.the seat pressure could be really hard to measure with our tool.i'd have to look and the cam support plate. i think you could rig up an air feed through a regulator and see at what pressure it bypasses, if within resonable limits, why not? .

·
old scoot coot
3,080 Posts
would lap the plunger into the seat in the cam support plate with some lapping compound. i that may be the reason for low pressures if it is leaking before reaching by pass pressure.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be clear - I did not have low oil pressure. Well, when the lifter failed I sure did. Rather than up oil pressure I have been advised to go to a lifter that oils the roller bearings. After all, the roller bearing doesn't receive pressurized oil any way. So I will be checking to be sure the plunger seats properly and get her on the road as soon as Kirby finishes up his repair work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts