Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Classic Electroglide
My Tach and Speedo are intermittently working.
The Bike has no Security Installed
The key on the lower right side of the Tach lights up when the key turns to the on position and neither work
When the key doesn't come on both work
This will also occur when running
Speed sensor ?????

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Check for DTCs. The key light is like the check engine light on a car. If it's lighting, your bike is throwing a trouble code.

The procedure for checking codes is a sticky in the electrical section of the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Error codes as follows:
P - no rSP
S - no rSP
SP - U1255
U1016
U1064
Pn - 67349-04
t - U1016
Pn - 67348-04A

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
All seem to point to loss of serial data and loss of ecm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the direction I was headed once I read the code description but the part numbers reference a new Speedometer. Thoughts ??

·
Banned
71 Posts
Remove, clean & reinstall the ECM plug, both half's . Using some dielectric grease on connections is always of help . :)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That was the direction I was headed once I read the code description but the part numbers reference a new Speedometer. Thoughts ??
The part number is not part of the DTC. It will report that even when no codes are present. It's simply the part # of the speedo you have installed.

That combination of codes suggests that there is a communications error between the speedo/tach and the ECM. It doesn't necessarily mean one or the other is failing. It could be something as simple as the plug in the back is not seated well. It could also be a pinched wire somewhere causing a loss of data to the speedo and tach.

Do you have a power commander or similar piggy-backed fuel controller on the bike? Since those plug between the ECM and main harness, a failure in that coupling can cause just about any DTC code related to communications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts