Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tail lights and brake lights on my 07 fatboy aren't working. I checked the fuses they are all good. I can't figure out how to get to the tail light bulb to check the filaments so if anyone can answer that mystery I would appreciate it. What's weird to is that when I turn the ignition switch to accessories the brake light works and when I put it back to ignition or off it doesn't and the tail light doesn't work at all. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37,598 Posts
2 screws holding on the tail light lens. Remove the lens and the light bulb can be removed like any ordinary automotive tail light bulb.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My 2000 deuce had the same problem it was a tail light pressure switch

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes. For the brake light. He also has a nonoperative park lamp as well.

Pull the seat and find the plug for the rear of the bike. Make sure you gave clean pins in the plug and not a lost/damaged/corroded ground wire. (no longer self grounding, now, rather they have ground wires.)

If you remove the taillight assembly, and there's a secondary plug in the wiring, your lens/backing is one piece. Unscrew the bulb socket from the back of the housing, and check/replace bulb if necessary and check for power too.

If you have NO PARK or BRAKE lights in the rear, that's two separate circuits.

The only common denominators are the ground, and the plug where the rear fender electrics plugs into the main harness.

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
The OP indicates all the lights work with the ignition switch in the accy. position, right ???

·
Retired citizen
22,516 Posts
Okay I reread his post, he says the brake light works in accy. but not the running light. Maybe bad brake switch and burnt filament for the running light.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
2 problems.............could be Mark. :thumb

·
Pchuk
16 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 06 street bob except I had running light with no brake light. After replacing both brake switches and wasting about 6 hours of my life that I will never get back, I finally found the problem. The plug the bulb goes in wasn't making contact with the brake light power or ground. I pulled it out a little and sure enough it lit up. It's always the simplest thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts