Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a trip there in June. Renting a cabin near Bryson City. Am I going to like it??

·
Try'n to behave
5,947 Posts
Yes.:)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,454 Posts
You'll probably even enjoy Bryson City. Great riding all over that area, and the Dragon is a hoot as long as you aren't trying to do it on a weekend where all the crotch rocketeers are trying for personal records.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live within a couple of hours, but I am a new rider and have never been. I have, however, heard guys talk about it for years. Most local guys that I know either don't go at all because of the dangers caused by too many and/or irresponsible people, or they only go at certain times of the year on weekdays, not weekends. These are generally 50+ guys that I am talking about, though. June is not one of the good times to go :-( so at least try to hit a week day. About right now would be a good time!

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
no desire to go there. too commercial for me

·
Registered
100 Posts
As long as you are there go and ride The Smoky Mountains National Forest also. That and if you have enough time ride 28 (Moonshiners) down to Highlands. Some nice waterfalls that way.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I have not been yet however, I am mildly curious to experience the road. If nothing else than just to be able to say that I have ridden it. Much in the same way that I can say that I have ridden Claw of the Dragon in southwest Virginia and Twisted Sisters in Texas Hill Country. They were okay rides but not epic for me personally.

Having ridden a large number of tight, twisty roads on my Road King I cannot say that these type roads are my all-time greatest thrill with this particular motorcycle. A full-size touring bike with limited lean clearances just is not best suited for a technical, twisty road like a mid-size cruising motorcycle would be. To make a large touring bike be able to navigate a road like that, you just need to slow down, maintain razor-sharp focus and work on being as smooth as you possibly can be.

Still, any time that you have a chance to experience a notable road like the Tail of the Dragon, regardless of the motorcycle being ridden, it is a good thing. You can stand tall and proud, drink in hand, and say, "Yeah, I've ridden that!"

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Don't forget Cherohala Skyway.
Yep, I'm only about 5 hours away from that area. Been meaning to go. But...., something always comes up with my schedule--or my wife already has a couple days out of town booked for a golf outing (one of us needs to be here for pets). Or the weather is crappy. But this riding season I'm going. Probably ride down on a Monday or Tuesday, stay 2 nights and ride back. Not nearly as interested in riding the Dragon as I am in riding the Cherohala and some other roads in the area.

Yep, definitely this year, probably after I recover from Collision III.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
We rode it last year, and for those that aren't fortunate enough to have curvy roads near them, it would surely test your skills. I found it to be fun, but can honestly say that some of the roads in WV and Virginia were just as curvy and fun, if not more challenging, with not even a fraction of the traffic.

That being said, we are going back down again this year, as the area is beautiful, and really offers up some of the best riding I have had the privilege of taking part of.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,454 Posts
Yep, I'm only about 5 hours away from that area. Been meaning to go. But...., something always comes up with my schedule--or my wife already has a couple days out of town booked for a golf outing (one of us needs to be here for pets). Or the weather is crappy. But this riding season I'm going. Probably ride down on a Monday or Tuesday, stay 2 nights and ride back. Not nearly as interested in riding the Dragon as I am in riding the Cherohala and some other roads in the area.

Yep, definitely this year, probably after I recover from Collision III.
Joe, a couple of us have been talking about heading over there...possibly after labor day...just before the rush to see the leaves fall off the trees. Let me know your schedule after we dry out form ES and maybe we can all hook up over there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do the Dragon weekdays if you want a great experience. My personal favorite is swinging over to the Cherohala Skyway and Smokey Mountain HD

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I live within a couple of hours, but I am a new rider and have never been. I have, however, heard guys talk about it for years. Most local guys that I know either don't go at all because of the dangers caused by too many and/or irresponsible people, or they only go at certain times of the year on weekdays, not weekends. These are generally 50+ guys that I am talking about, though. June is not one of the good times to go :-( so at least try to hit a week day. About right now would be a good time!
I'm also within a few hours of the Dragon. Rode it once! Meh! I have driven some nasty roads while hauling rock. I wouldn't run the Dragon in my Bigrig to save my life! That's not because of the curves. Its because of the potential "toe tags" that use it as their personal playground!

BTW Kentucky boy, where are ya? I'm in cookeville.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,454 Posts
Its because of the potential "toe tags" that use it as their personal playground!
Yeah, I have a bit of a peeve about that, too/. Last trip out there, had one of them a-holes cut inside of me on a tight curve. Went hunting for his butt at the resort. Never found him, but I was ready to whip some idiot ass.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I'm also within a few hours of the Dragon. Rode it once! Meh! I have driven some nasty roads while hauling rock. I wouldn't run the Dragon in my Bigrig to save my life! That's not because of the curves. Its because of the potential "toe tags" that use it as their personal playground!

Yeah, I have a bit of a peeve about that, too/. Last trip out there, had one of them a-holes cut inside of me on a tight curve. Went hunting for his butt at the resort. Never found him, but I was ready to whip some idiot ass.

Maybe you old farts should pick up the pace then!!!!!!! :fitz

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
Highways 276 (South of Waynesville and 64 West back to Franklin 28 back to 74 is a great loop, 215, 209, 80 (Dubbed the Ratler), Cherohala Skyway (Harley Clothing dealer at Tellico, TN) and even the Blue Ridge Parkway are all nice rides in the same area. As others have said the Dragon (129) is best done in the middle of the week but it is not a long ride just curvy and lots of traffic. Mind your speed and watch where you are going. And pick up your T-shirt. If you want to see the Dragon riding from North to South I have a youtube video of my first time on it 2 years ago riding with my late brother mind that my tires were about shot be then from riding all the other roads in the area for 6 days, but it will give you a feel for the road. Tha cam was mounted on the left side of my handle bar so you can tell about how the curves run. And I had to stop to help a guy who ran his bike in a ditch and the chip ran out at about 9 min. But it is a fair repersentation of the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TecBpSa1p0

·
Registered
41 Posts

I understand that tractor/trailers have been banned from the Dragon. I've had a few close calls with them in the past.

AL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts