Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 2007 Road King Classic Tank Emblem fit on a 2009 Road King FLHP tank without modification? A parts guy at the Dealership told me they would not and that I have to buy a 2009 Emblem, but I'm not sure I can take his word for it.

Does anyone out there know if this is true? I know there were changes in the frame between 07 and 09, but did they change the gas tank dimensions as well?

Thanks,

NJG

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
2007 Road King - 5 gal. tank
2009 Road King - 6 gal. tank
Tank shape/profile is same for all Road King models within the same manufacture year. No difference between tanks for Standard, Police or Classic.

To my knowledge (not an authority on this), the tank emblems are adhesive mounted. Seeing that you are interested in putting the 2007 emblem (from a 5 gal. tank) onto a 2009 tank (6 gal.), I do not envision there should be any problem unless the side contour of the 2009 tank would not allow the 2007 emblem to conform.

If the change in contour was indeed problematic, you could always seek out a talented painter or air-brush artist that could duplicate the emblem you are interested in. It would not have the relief of an applied emblem, but it would be identical in detail and brilliance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess that answers the question. The 2009 badge was my second choice. So I'll take the path of least resistance and go with that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The previous owner of my 2003 FLHPI had applied tank emblems from a 1947-1950 Knucklehead. The tank profiles are slightly different but they fit well enough and give the bike a very distinct look.

Mike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts