Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made well over 100K miles on my universal Japanese and German bikes. I never used a top case. I may be obsessed with weight distribution. I have always been meticulous on carrying extra load between the front and rear axles but not behind the latter. When I had to, I tied the lightest items (sleeping bags, etc.) on the luggage rack. Therefore, a tank bag was like second nature to me, whenever my saddlebags were not sufficient in capacity.

I am now in the process of returning to motorcycling after a 22 years long beak. I am trying to gather what I will need, before my RKS is delivered to me hopefully in late January or early February. Since this will be my first Harley, I am not yet familiar with the speedometer and the ignition key on the gas tank but I can imagine that a tank bag would not be as practical as I am used to. I can handle the paint protection problem but I would like to consult those who have experience with a tank bag on a Harley in general and a Road King in particular.

I like to tour and I have never packed for a trip without a tank bag. Shall I say goodbye to my favorite luggage carrying option?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say yes. That being said I bought one for my Road King that does not interfere with the ignition switch. I bought it at Hot Leather for $43.00. The sad part is that it is very small and does not hold much. I bought a kuryakyn grand tour bag that is great. Went through a couple Harley bags that were just not large enough. A Tank Bag like a Jap bike has is too large and covers the Ignition Switch. This is the one I bought Daytona Gear Magnetic Tank Bag | 830-906 | J&P Cycles

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you daddyflea. I get it that you are not carrying "load" on the tank. Just little items.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Tank bag on a King will probably not work well. Even if you put up with pulling the bag up to turn the switch on and off, I would be worried about any weight on the switch.

I love tank bags but I used one on my Road Glide and thought I had the paint protected. I didn't. I probably won't do it again.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,734 Posts
Run a small and a large Nelson Rigg.

No problem. I cover the switch just stick two finger In To turn it.

FLSTFB.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I started riding Road Kings last March. I do miss having a tank bag. If I see a good solution, I'll probably jump right on it, especially if I can get gas without removing it.

af

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tank bag on a King will probably not work well. Even if you put up with pulling the bag up to turn the switch on and off, I would be worried about any weight on the switch.

I love tank bags but I used one on my Road Glide and thought I had the paint protected. I didn't. I probably won't do it again.
Thank you MADMACK. I would use a clear protective film for the paint but I too would not put any weight on the ignition switch.

Run a small and a large Nelson Rigg.

No problem. I cover the switch just stick two finger In To turn it.

FLSTFB.
Thanks bbally. I understand that the switch will cause more problems than I had thought.

I started riding Road Kings last March. I do miss having a tank bag. If I see a good solution, I'll probably jump right on it, especially if I can get gas without removing it.

af
Thank you aframen. I would think that the gas cap would be free with most tank bags but I am afraid I too will miss having one. :mad

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I do not use a tank bag on my RKC. The view of the speedometer would be impeded. I do have a bag mounted to the back of the windshield. It holds a fair amount of items, particularly those things that I want to keep close and not have to rummage through the saddlebag to find.

T-Bags - custom motorcycle luggage T-Bags Windshield Bag for Road King

Check around the web as there are places that will sell it for cheaper than MSRP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not use a tank bag on my RKC. The view of the speedometer would be impeded. I do have a bag mounted to the back of the windshield. It holds a fair amount of items, particularly those things that I want to keep close and not have to rummage through the saddlebag to find.

Check around the web as there are places that will sell it for cheaper than MSRP.
Say that looks pretty good. Like to see it in person though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Very interesting! I am surfing in the web for a while but this is the first time I see such a large windshield bag. I loved the idea. Thank you DLM Perez. May I ask some questions:

The info page says "it fits OE handlebars" but I think this changes from year to year. Do you think it would fit a 2015 Road King?

What do you think about the strain it puts on the windshield bracket?

BTW, does it come with a rain cover or, does it need it?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Very interesting! I am surfing in the web for a while but this is the first time I see such a large windshield bag. I loved the idea. Thank you DLM Perez. May I ask some questions:

The info page says "it fits OE handlebars" but I think this changes from year to year. Do you think it would fit a 2015 Road King?

What do you think about the strain it puts on the windshield bracket?

BTW, does it come with a rain cover or, does it need it?
The OEM handlebars have not changed dramatically since the inception of the Road King in the mid-90's. Owners do have a tendency to change the bars depending on their preferences. I have changed my handlebars to the chrome Heritage style bars because I was looking for something to fit the reach of my arms better. The windshield bag fit fine with the OEM bars and with the Heritage bars. It may even fit fine if you went with apes, as long as the distance between the upright portions of the bars doesn't get any more narrow than the original bars. I think that this bag will fit a 2015 Road King without issue.

The bag does not put any additional strain on the windshield bracket. I have had mine installed for 2½ years without issue. The bag is installed with velcro (hook and loop) which is adhered to the metal portion of the the windshield frame. While the velcro alone is of sufficient strength to support the bag, the center bolt of the windshield also provides a mechanical connection of the bag to the frame (just loosen and remove the nut, leave bolt in place and then push it through the hole in the bag, reattach the nut). The bag is attached to the windshield therefore when the windshield is removed, the bag goes with it. Something to think about if you are going to cruise without the windshield some of the time.

The bag does not come with a rain cover and there really isn't a good way to install one since the bag is affixed to the back of the windshield. The material the bag is constructed from is fairly water-resistant but not 100% waterproof. Because of it's mounting location, seldom does the bag or the contents get saturated. A little due diligence on the part of the rider is necessary if you know that you are going to be spending a long day traveling in rain. As a precaution, move things that you do not want to get wet to another location to protect them.

Attached is a photo of the bag installed on my stock RKC. I do not have a photo of the bag with the Heritage bars, but it looks nearly the same either way.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
That bag is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes MADMACK. This is the way to go, indeed. DLM Perez, thank you so much for your detailed explanations and pics. You have been of great assistance.

My order with the dealer already includes a windshield bag (leather pouch) which is supposed to be delivered together with my Harley. I reckon I can use the regular one for daily commutes for small items like keys, sunglasses, cigarettes, etc...

This one, however, would be handy during the long haul when adding or removing layers of clothing, for a helmet visor, etc... I understand that when this one is removed, a velcro strip will stay on the windshield but I assume I can keep this short enough to hide behind the small bag/pouch. I don't think I will ride without the windshield anyway so one of them can always be there. Besides, a pouch or bag behind the simple and basic windshield is quite Harleyesque IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a NY to CA to NY trip this summer and used a Joe Rocket Manta Tank Bag for the trip. It holds quite a bit for being as small as it is. It will cover the ignition switch but can be situated in a way that it won't cover the speedo. It's magnetic so all you have to do is lift up one side to get to your switch. I had it left over from my sportbike days and I'm glad I saved it.

Find a small-ish tank bag and do it to it. I like having some things easily accessable and you can pull it off and bring it with you, when you are away from the bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a cheap Cyclegear tank bag that is one large pocket, and I have a Joe Rocket Manta as well. I have used both. Never had any trouble. I keep them low on the tank. Just have to lift them up to access the ignition switch. Easy-peasy. I mostly use them for electronics. Keeps the wires from lying about.

I often just place the bag on the side of the tank when getting gas so as not to accidentally get gas on it. Seems to work ok for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts