Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall the wife found her dream bike, a 2012 FLSTN with a TC103 engine. My question is during start-up she gets an engine "drag". My FLSTC has a TC88 and starts right up every time. they both have stage one kits. When we bought it and I asked this question at the dealership the salesman told me that it probably had the air filter and pipes installed but the PO probably never had a chip installed? what does that mean or did I misunderstand? Unfortunately wifey had blinders on for the bike and I let it go. The bike does start and runs great but is the "drag" normal? what was the salesman telling me? These are the first HD's I've ever owned with EFI and if there's something more I need to do any insight or suggestions would be Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
greatly appreciated.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Could you define "drag". I've got the 103 EFI, so do a lot of the guys I ride with, never heard of this. Dumb question but is she starting it in gear with the clutch pulled?

Nice bike

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
My 2012 FLSTN did the same thing. It's just the higher compression. Just hold the starter button a little longer till she fires.
The drag that your mentioning gives you the feeling that the starter is not robust enough for the engine?

·
Retired citizen
24,501 Posts
By "drag" I'm assuming that the starter is seeming to lug before the engine starts.
If the bike is set up to stage 1, pipes and AC, the O2 sensor system should be able to cover that as long as there's no other mods.
Gotta remember the 103" is the hotter version of the 88". The 96" came in between both of those. "96 is a stroker 88". 103" is a big bore "96. ... IMO ! So ... the 103" is in fact a bored and stroked 88" TC !
I think, I hope, I got this right !

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Need to ask salesman what chip, got smoke blown your way.

May check battery leads for any corrosion, tightness, it is 3 years old .I check mine once year. Have battery load checked. The ground cable on my FXSTC was bolted to frame. But there was paint there so only bolt was making the pathway. Removed paint give better connection. Seemed to start a bit quicker after that. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for all the comments. I had kinda assumed it was from the higher compression but i just wanted to get a few other opinions. I plan on putting a battery in it this week just in case although I do have it on a tender and it started right up last weekend when I was doing the spring checks but like Softailbilly mentioned, it is 3 yrs old. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
43,113 Posts
By "drag" I'm assuming that the starter is seeming to lug before the engine starts.
If the bike is set up to stage 1, pipes and AC, the O2 sensor system should be able to cover that as long as there's no other mods.
Gotta remember the 103" is the hotter version of the 88". The 96" came in between both of those. "96 is a stroker 88". 103" is a big bore "96. ... IMO ! So ... the 103" is in fact a bored and stroked 88" TC !
I think, I hope, I got this right !
Correct.

What helped mine out was by changing to Taylor/Sumax 2ga battery cables. Stock cables are 6ga. The fatter battery cables let more current get to the starter during startup.

There are 4ga cables available from other manufacturers, but if you're going to do something, may as well over do it. :D

2ga is as fat as you can go on the battery cables without having to clearance anything for them to fit.

http://www.sumax.com/battery_cables.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.