Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know, I traded my 2003 VROD for a 2005 FATBOY. I changed my own oil with the VROD but I find myself with a couple of questions regarding the TC88.

What do people mean when they say "I changed the oil in all THREE holes"? I gather one is the oil tank and what are the other two? Can anyone direct me to data where I can learn how to do this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gear oil and primary oil. You can use HD SIN-3 for all. A good investment is a HD service manual for your bike.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
As some may know, I traded my 2003 VROD for a 2005 FATBOY. I changed my own oil with the VROD but I find myself with a couple of questions regarding the TC88.

You did what?:mad: Are you crazy? What were you thinking?

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I started running Syn-3 in all 3 holes about 30k miles ago. I change it all at 5,000 intervals. It makes it much easier to keep up with.

I saw a H-D tech. bulletin awhile back stating that 5,000 was acceptable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm no expert, when it comes to oil. However, from what I've read over and over, you can do a lot better for your bike than Syn3.
To begin with it isn't a true synthetic oil, and HD will over charge you for the privedge of using oil with their name on the bottle. They don't make the oil and it is even debatable if the same company that makes it this year is the same one that made it for them last year or will make it for them next year.
Changing your oil regularly is probably just as important as what you use.
I've seen the tables for break down of different oils and my money goes to strait synthetic.
Regular dino oil will begin breaking down at 250 F by 300 F the life expectance of dino oil has been reduced to hours if not minutes.
True synthetic will not begin to break down until 300F. It is extremely unlikely your bike will ever get that hot, and if it does you have bigger problems.
On the other hand 250 F or higher in stop and go traffic or parade duty on a hot day may dramatically reduce the useful life of your oil.
The way I look at it, I paid a lot of money for my bike, I'm not paying any stealer an ridiculous amount of money to change the oil, I don't mind using expensive oil.
I use amzoil 20w50 in all three holes. There are lots of choices that are less expensive, but, most of them require at least two differnent types or grades. This way I may not be using the best (and that is clearly debatable), but, at least it is near the best and I only need to keep one oil for my bike, so no matter which hole is down or needs changing I usually have the right stuff on hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed my 06 Ultra to Syn-3 @ 1K, And changed to Amsoil 20w50 @ 5K in all 3 holes. And I will never use anything other than Amsoil from now on. It seems like a different Bike. Shifts better, And find Neutral easier!
Try it, You will not regret it. It is about the same price as HD Syn3
Also put it in the VRSCSE!!! What a difference!!!
AMSOIL ROCKS!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did notice smoother shifts, finds neural easier and the engine runs on average 20 degrees cooler.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Check with Ken at Modern Oil's if you are looking for Amsoil products. He is a great guy to deal with. I get my Amsoil products directly from him. He gave me a great deal and I got the oil a day later. He is also a Forum Sponser.

http://www.modernoils.com/

·
HDF Oil Guy
14 Posts
Check with Ken at Modern Oil's if you are looking for Amsoil products. He is a great guy to deal with. I get my Amsoil products directly from him. He gave me a great deal and I got the oil a day later. He is also a Forum Sponser.

http://www.modernoils.com/
Thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate it and I will be offering the same support I offer at the V-Rodforum to members here at hd-forums as well. Members pay the same prices that I do. Just contact me with what you need and your location and I will get you a quote.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts