Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a time spec to tear the motor down? Guy at work mentioned every 20,000 miles, but I can't find anything in the repair manual about it. Or do you just leave it until signs that the engine is wore for a tear down? :think

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
Huh? What guy and where do you work? I want to avoid places that have people of that nature running around on the outside...

·
Banned
366 Posts
Huh? What guy and where do you work? I want to avoid places that have people of that nature running around on the outside...
i agree im a heavy duty mech n ive run harley 60+miles b4 taking her to a rebuild man but thats just me, if im not burnin crazy oil i really dont go too crazy on the rebuilds cuz from my exp as a mech American built quality is on par with German as a mech we're better cuz we can be rebuilt infinitely, we in the US build shiite to last, i know in the last 20 yrs harleys quality went downhill but harleys still rooted from the same roots meaning its made to last 4ever n can b rebuilt over n over.

thats sumn our euro n china friends cant say, not being mean just alot of countries lowered the bar to just compete with our lowest price goods, the diff is made in the USA bottom dollar bikes will last 4ever n can be rebuilt 4ever just look at that ol panhead lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there a time spec to tear the motor down? Guy at work mentioned every 20,000 miles, but I can't find anything in the repair manual about it. Or do you just leave it until signs that the engine is wore for a tear down? :think
I've put over 500,000 miles on 9 Sporties since 1964. Two of them had over 100,000 miles on them when I sold them and they were still running. With the quality of lubricants we have today there should be no reason not to get 100,000 miles out of the newer bikes. Just do your proper maintenance, and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That would be like once a year for some of us here. I wouldn't take too much advice from that guy, move away from him QUICK! :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I thought that sounded a little out there. I don't tear down my other engines just because of mileage or time either. :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts