Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have one of those night/days when something hits you between the eyes and makes you remember stuff you either wish you didn’t want to remember or worse, things you wish you had done but didn’t manage to get done?
Sat in front of the tube watching a few reruns of NCIS and had an episode that involved Gibbs and his Dad. One of those episodes when the two made that connection.
Couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t see for a while, and it reminded me of the Old Man who has been gone since ’89, a WWII Vet who, before he passed away, along with one of his close friends, became “Born Again WWII Vets”, reliving the good and the bad times, and for the first time including me in some of the bad stuff because I was also a Vet and thus finally privy to the stuff I wouldn’t have previously understood. Not sure even today that I really do understand what those guys endured, but I relished those inclusive conversations, and I began to realize that these guys were giants among men who survived and brought home the values that have made this country great.
Watching that episode tonight, and it was, for me, a rerun, the tears came down in a torrent that I couldn’t comprehend until just a few minutes ago I realized today is
Dad’s birthday. I miss that man more than I can describe, but it is all of our destinies to come to an end. It is how we travel the road and arrive at that end that is important.
I pray that I have lived a life worthy of a great man and his great friends who traveled that road with him.
Happy Birthday, Dad!

Reactions: Wooduck1954

·
Registered
326 Posts
Happy Birthday to your Dad!
God bless him and all the men and woman who pulled our fat out of the fire during WW2...
During the war years back then, all of the males in our family, when you were in your senior year of high school, you got to finish the first half of the year, enjoy christmas and new year, then you were gone to the war...no option, automatic...
I feel the same way when I think about my Canadian grandparents and my Mom...They touched and shaped my soul and I will always miss them...even though they are always with me...
Ride safe.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Thanks for this, Darryl. And know that we appreciate your dad's service. And yours.

--

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great reminder to stop and think about what's truly important.

Watched a show on tv last night called "Act of Valor". Talk about a tears.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Great post KD. Had one of those same moments today when I had to take my little boy back to his mother. Cherish the good times in life with family and friends!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You and your dad have my respect, admiration for the post and prayers to weather those moments when it hits you, which in my experience so far, will continue as long as you are here.
Happy Birthday to your dad, and thanks from a grateful nation to you both.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Much respect to you and your dad. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Good post. It does seem sad that many citizens of this country do not fully comprehend the sacrifices it takes to keep this country strong. I almost didn't get it either. As a young man in high school, I wasn't keen on the possibility of having to give service to the military. I mean, c'mon, I'm young, free, ready to make my mark on the world and the military would just have been a severe inconvenience to my plans. Part of my thinking was likely due to the fact that, aside from an uncle who served in Viet Nam, I had no relatives that were from a military background. So, I was ignorant of it's importance. Fast forward about 25 years, and my only son declares that he wants to go into the service. Suddenly, I began to realize how vital the role of the military is to the strength of our nation. I saw first hand the impact these patriots have to our way of life. I began to understand and appreciate the sacrifices made throughout history so that our country could be what it is today.

Thank you for your service, the service of your father, and all the other brave individuals that have given so selflessly. I am grateful that not everyone is as ignorant as me, and understands the call of duty to keep this country strong.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good post Kd. Webco does service to all 'men' with his comment about washing the soul. I need to remember this as I am at that stage where I get a little more pissed at myself every time I have to chase my memories out of the 'house' again.

Also as reminder and charge to all responsible men. Never stop telling the truths that are held in history's hands. You know the ones where men die so we can be free and all that jazz. But even more foreboding, never stop telling everyone that they should stop giving up those freedoms, because in order to get them back, more men will have to die, and those people that keep giving them away might just know one of those human sacrifices.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Very good post. Very touching and I certainly can relate. You were so fortunate to have him for a father.

Happy Birthday

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Great post may we never forget all of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and all of those who have served and who are serving. So we can all enjoy the freedoms that we have and to not let some talking heads take those freedoms away. Thank you all for your service to this great country.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Hang in there brother! Happy birthday to pops and thank you both for all that you've done. May you keep all the previous memories of your father. In the few times I've met you I consider you a good friend and a helluva good man! It is a good path that you've followed!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My father's birthday was this month as well. He never talked about his service in WWII. I remember mom showing me pictures but Dad never talked about it.

Until..

I came home after my first tour to VN. He still didn't say much but it was pretty clear to me then that there would have been no way that I could have comprehended what he went through prior to my enlisting. While on leave I received my orders to go back again. I think it's the only time I saw my father cry. But he never said any thing, just gave me a big ole bear hug and told me to be careful.

He's been gone 10 years and sure wish he was still around.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all of you....believe me, it gives me strength to get through a very rough time....seems like it gets worse every year, and this one just sort of snuck up on me.
For those of you old enough to have had Dad's who were WWII Vets, I know you probably all had to go through the "years of mystery" as I did. Before I left for basic, Dad handed me his "lucky dollar", a 1922 Peace Dollar, that he carried through his time in combat. I don't think a night went by that I didn't hold that dollar in basic training. Years later, he began, little by little, to regale me with stories of his time in combat in the South Pacific. He said I'd never have understood before. As I said, not sure I still can deal with what they went through. In my later years in some excursions as a Reserve on AD, I had an opportunity to get a vision of what he had to deal with. Those men, our fathers and grandfathers, paid a horrendous price for us to be here and have the luxury to have the brotherhood we have, the good times and the beautiful country to own as our own each day.
Reading the responses to my OP, I know we are still in good hands, and you guys make me proud. I thank you for the compassion and understanding of the tears that just flowed, and I am joyous for your sharing of this celebration of my father's birth in my heart and obviously yours. That makes this special for me. Thanks for allowing me to be part of this great community. And why are these tears flowing again?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts