Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe there was a memorable moment during a ride. It all came together... the road, the bike, the sounds, the scenery, the temps, the sun, the weather, the comfort, maybe friends, etc. and etc. Maybe you can note where, when, and how it happened.

For me, it was a Dyna Low Rider rental out of Dallas. 1999. Had ridden to the Ozarks of Arkansas on business, then crossed over to Tennessee to see a friend. Left his place around noon and started working my way back to Dallas. Around sunset was maybe 20 miles east of Texarkana on 82, near Garland, AR. It happened then. The sun was low and red on the western horizon, the color of a low flame in a wood stove. Temps were perfect. Calm wind with wisps of white clouds painted orange. The legs were stretched out on the forward pegs. Minimal traffic. The song from the exhaust was perfect. Looked to the right and passed a fertile brown field with new green plants. A flock of birds lifted off. Man, it all came together at that moment and I still remember it, eight years ago. Maybe I'm too sentimental. Oh well... so be it! :)

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
For me, it had to be a Ultra Classic rental out of Kona, Hawaii and riding around Mauna Kea. To see the sun rays light up the snow on the peek, well... that was IT! SImply beautiful!

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Riding with four friends from IH 10 up to the McDonald Observatory.

Friends, the perfect road for the day, the perfect weather for the ride and at just the right time.

Maybe the best ride I have been on yet.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Spring of '96... I'd rented a 'bagger from Dudley Perkins HD in SFO for a weekend and took a ride up Highway 1 from SFO. Had absolutely stellar weather the entire trip. Heading out of town the first day, I rode up into the mountains, up up up through the twisties... hugging the curves and climbing... until the view opened up in front of me and I was on a cliff, high above the ocean, watching the waves crash on the rocks so far below. It was the first time I'd seen the CA coastline and I was so overtaken by the view that tears started to run down my cheeks.

The other time, was on a Saturday afternoon at Blackhawk... the race program for the day had ended unusually early and the race director opened up the track for practice. It was warm, but not too hot... the late afternoon sun was golden through the leaves on the trees... my tires were fresh, hot and sticky and I ran through an entire tank of gas, turning lap after lap. It was as rhythmic and precise and graceful as any waltz... the suspension was "right" and the bike felt like an extension of my body, accelerating... braking... leaning in... knee on the ground then up... hard on the gas... correcting position in anticipation of the next corner... there were maybe only 3 or 4 other riders on the course so for the most part, I had the track to myself.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me, it had to be a Ultra Classic rental out of Kona, Hawaii and riding around Mauna Kea. To see the sun rays light up the snow on the peek, well... that was IT! SImply beautiful!
TexRod... Have never been to Hawaii and looking forward to going there someday. Knowing how the sun can illuminate a snowy peak, I bet it was something to see it on a volcano in the Pacific.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Riding with four friends from IH 10 up to the McDonald Observatory.

Friends, the perfect road for the day, the perfect weather for the ride and at just the right time.

Maybe the best ride I have been on yet.
Can see how this can be... friends with perfect roads and weather. This place near Big Bend? I saw pics once but couldn't tell the location, and the riding looked great in the area.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KBOlsen... Terrific. I bet the mighty Pacific was moving to see for the first time on the PCH! Have never done it from two wheels -- just a boring rental car and that was still awe-inspiring.

And how about that -- a track time memory when it all came together. Sweet! Unanticipated. Bet you were in a "zone" and one with the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dodging rainstorms across the Painted Desert,the first time I rode into Sedona from the east,Leaving the Love ride one year and going balls out on Lake Hughes canyon Rd,4" off my buddy's tail,primative camping in the Az desert while touring.Riding into the Redwood Run after spending all day at Redwood choppers,attempting to fix,then replacing a burnt starter,then actually finding my crew at the rally.Riding the Black Hills for the first time,Cruising the Tetons and Yellowstone,too many to list.
One of the first best moments was my first ride over the Tioga Pass with my best friends along.Or maybe the first time riding Oak Creek Canyon,or the first tour thru Utah,or....aw hell,thats enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had to be a ride back from Colorado for me.

About 15 years ago (or so), I had been to a major HOG rally in Durango. As the Texas State Safety Coordinator for H-D, I was asked to go and put on the one hour safety seminars.

The rally was great and riding in Colorado was as beautiful and exhilarating as one who has never been there before could only dream of. I had been gone for a week and was ready to get home and see Stacy and my son, Scooter.

Left Durango just after sunrise, and rode all day long. Somewhere in New Mexico, I dropped off the interstate and took a two lane road east towards Texas. I had the hammer down on that old FLT (Tour Glide) and as I topped a hill, a New Mexico State Police car also topped it going the other way. No sense in prolonging things, so I just pulled over and waited for him. Sure enough, he came flying over the hill in short order, red lights going. After pulling in behind me, an older New Mexico State Police Officer got out of his car and headed toward me. He looked a little unusual for a state officer, his uniform was wrinkled and his boots hadn't seen a shine in a long time. I thought to myself, "oh great, I've got an old guy who's been passed over for promotion a lot and probably has a case of the azz at the whole world." I couldn't have been more wrong in my first assessment of the officer. After he ran my license for wants and warrants, he asked me why I was going over 80 miles an hour in a 55 zone ? I told him that I had just left the interstate and I guess I just hadn't slowed down to the lower speed limit of the two lane road yet. The old timer kinda grinned, then said "Son, the interstate is 35 miles behind you..... He then handed me my license and told me to slow it down and enjoy the ride through New Mexico.

Six hours later, I stopped in the small town of Guthrie, Texas for gas. It was dusk and looking towards home just 35 miles away, I could see a massive Texas springtime storm in my way. It was huge, solid black clouds with a lot of lightening and it was obvious that it was blowing up a lot of sand into the early evening sky. Because the area is so flat, it is often hard to gauge the distance of storms. Looking at that one, I thought that it looked pretty close to my home town. But it was at the end of a very long day in the saddle and I was tired and wanting to get home, so I thought I would try it and see if I could beat the storm........ 25 miles later I found myself seriously wondering if I had made a wise decision. The black sky closed in on me and both the wind and lightening were staggering, but no rain so far. About 7 miles from home, I was counting the seconds between each thunderclap and the ensuing bolt of lightening, trying to gauge how close it was to me.

Just as I passed a battery of oilfield storage tanks on the side of the road to my right, a loud boom of thunder and a blinding bolt of lightening hit at the same time, just to my right rear. In a split second, my rear view mirrors filled with an orange glow as a huge explosion just behind me sent shock waves of heat in my direction. The lightening hit those oilfield storage tanks I had just passed by seconds before and they had exploded.

Feeling the need to get off the road and change my drawers, I rolled on the throttle and headed for home as fast as I could in the howling wind. Just as I passed the fire station in town, I noticed all the volunteer firemen gathering after having being summoned to the tank battery fire.

My wife heard me coming and had the garage door open. Seconds after I rolled into the garage, the sky opened up with a flood of wind driven rain.... but I was in the garage, safe and dry.

When my wife asked how my ride had been, I replied that it "had been a very interesting day". ;)

After I took off my helf helmet, I heard my wife sniffing as she gave me a big welcome hug. She then put her hand on the back of my head and asked me why the hair at the back of my neck was singed and burnt ???

Yes, I guess it all came together just right for me on that ride.

This was my trusted steed that dark and stormy Texas night:

Attachments

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave T... I think you sqeezed a season's worth of rides into this one return trip! Great stories. That would have been something to have an oilfield storage tank explode seconds behind you! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts