Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a perpetual thread. A place to note your recent ride. Maybe something like a journal entry. Doesn't have to be fancy ride report. Can leave a specific thread for that. Where did you go? See anything, smell anything, taste anything? :). Cold or hot or wet or dry? If you have a pic, fine, no pic, fine. Just share yesterday or today's ride!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can note yesterday riding to Denver meeting two friends for a couple of hours of tire kicking at a Triumph dealership. They were offering demo rides all day. Enjoyed Sprint ST and Thuxton demo rides. Decided to head towards Idaho Springs in the mountains for lunch but saw snow clouds looming just to the west of Idaho Springs when we arrived. Turned around towards another town to give us "weather space" :), having burritos at Qdoba's in Aspen Park. Burp. Around 2:30p we looked up from the burritos and saw serious snow falling :eek:. Many in the restaurant were encouraging us to hurry and saddle up! Which we did! Man, it was coming down going through Conifer at 8600ft on Hwy 285. Then we passed through ten miles of so of flurries as I said goodbye to one of my riding friends peeling off towards his place.

Two miles from home I hit 2" of nasty and slippery slush. Inched the bike down the driveway hill then while straddling the bike, spun the rear while shoving it up the hill to the house. :eek: Think I burned 1000 calories and most of it was from stress had I lost footing and dumped the bike. Wish I had taken a pic when arriving at the garage. Looked like a snowman on a snowbike, with steam coming off the hot engine/pipes adding to the scene. And that was yesterday's ride. :) Nothing today. And don't expect other "today's" ride to be like this one. They will be much more mundane! Your ride?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Rode with a friend to Arlington the long way. Went out through Walnut Springs and Glen Rose and then meandered over to Arlington to watch his son in a drum line contest. Never saw one of those before and it was pretty darn good. 10 year old kid playing with the high school band.

Took about 6 hours to get there and about 2 1/2 to get back home after dark. Several tanks of gas and a couple of good meals with a good friend. Does it get any better?

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Was visitin' my sweetie in Chicago over the weekend. Spent Saturday riding 'bitch' on his Sportster. What a cute bike! Seriously, it's an '04 1200 and I was very impressed with how it handled with both of our adult-size butts on board. Took a leisurely putt around the north shore 'burbs, stopped to visit his family and got back to the garage just as the streetlights were coming on. I'm hoping the weather continues to be cooperative so that I can return the favor in a couple weeks when he comes out to visit - riding out here is SO much better - exponentially less traffic, better scenery and I think it's a tad warmer as well!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was visitin' my sweetie in Chicago over the weekend. Spent Saturday riding 'bitch' on his Sportster. What a cute bike! Seriously, it's an '04 1200 and I was very impressed with how it handled with both of our adult-size butts on board. Took a leisurely putt around the north shore 'burbs, stopped to visit his family and got back to the garage just as the streetlights were coming on. I'm hoping the weather continues to be cooperative so that I can return the favor in a couple weeks when he comes out to visit - riding out here is SO much better - exponentially less traffic, better scenery and I think it's a tad warmer as well!
KBO... Nice to have a friend with a bike! Hope you have great weather when the sweetie comes your direction. The two of you on the Sportster reminds me when I was teaching my oldest how to ride on a Buell Blast (Back when H-D had a program... buy a Buell Blast, get the full price back if trading on another Buell or H-D within a year). I'm 6'4" and Brad 6'0" and you should have seen the two of us on that thing laboring up a mountain as we rode to a school parking lot.... think the mini-bike scene in the movie Dumb and Dumber!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
LOL! Something about 'monkeys and footballs' :)

·
1,081 Posts
Last couple of days have been nice rides. Did about an hour last night with my wife and a buddy. I think I have pneumonia from earlier in the week but I had a blast last night!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, two memorable rides yesterday and today.

YESTERDAY
Took 1/2 day vac and left in the morning for the Peak-to Peak highway. In a canyon while following a small red car I saw a mule deer buck come down the hillside from the left, cross the opposing lanes of traffic, gracefully jump over the concrete median, and land right in front of the red car. The slope of the hood and windshield acted like a moving ramp, launching the cartwheeling deer 20-25 feet into the air, landing in front of me and to the right side. Never seen anything like that. Serious car damage. Fatal deer damage. Have you ever seen anything like this?

TODAY
Left under cold, gray, low skies to bring the RK in for a warrantee item. It was freezing. Passed a bank clock at 28 degrees. As I descended towards Denver, entered into a thick and icy fog. Ice formed on my face shield. Ice formed on the windshield. I pulled over onto the shoulder to check the road surface to see if it was icy. Ice was in the air, but the wet road must have been just above freezing. Let me tell, I was smoooooooth in the curves, on the throttle, on the brakes. Clinched the seat with my butt cheeks. Dealer couldn't fix the problem! Needed to leave the bike, but no way to get home an hour away. Tried calling for help but no one was picking up their cell phone!

Dealer gave me a new VRSCAW (23 miles on the odom) as a loaner and I rode it back up through the cold and icy soup. Apprehensive riding with the new rear tire on the cold wet road. Pulled over at the grocery store 25 minutes from home for some Chinese food at the deli to warm me up! Now I have two '07 V-Rod's in the garage! :)

·
1,081 Posts
Last couple of days have been nice rides. Did about an hour last night with my wife and a buddy. I think I have pneumonia from earlier in the week but I had a blast last night!
Turned out to be Bronchitis, whew that was fun.
Weather has one more cool day Wed but the rest of the week looks great!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had a friend just pass his test and get his motorcycle endorsement today (he's been riding longer than I have and I passed mine 2 months ago) and his wife has been chomping at the bit to ride. We took the 2 "old ladies" and road around the back roads for a bit and then out to eat where many of our friends dropped jaws at us walking in with helmets in hand.

Weather turning back nice this week and have plans to ride with same buddy over to the dealership (about an hour ride away) Friday evening to play in a poker tourney they are hosting. Should be fun.

I don't envy some of Sfarson's weather conditions but I can imagine the scenery out there. Man, for some reason the rockies call my name even though I've never seen them first hand.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's great news... a friend and his wife able to join you on rides. And congrats for your friend to get the endorsement.

FWIW, weather has been fantastic here the past two weeks. Well, there were those two days of, ummmm, "memorable" weather :)! But otherwise, N I C E. Just returned from a 180 mile ride and it was in the 70's in Colorado Springs.

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only just seen this thread so this entry is a bit late.Just been asked to join the "road crew" of our HOG chapter(Meridian ENGLAND) and was asked to join a "reccy" ride on what is our signature 1st rideout of the year,following the 0 degrees Meridian line from Greenwich observatory London to where it leaves land and meets sea at Peacehaven in Sussex.After some really nice warm Spring like weather earlier in the week, Artic winds started to blow on Sunday morning as we left Greenwich.As snow clouds started to threaten and the wind was playing havoc with some of the bikes with screens it was decided by majority to call it a day at the halfway mark and head home.cleaned my bike and put it away and since then we have had some really cold weather and the dreaded salt is back on the roads.Hopefully Spring will return soon.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
groovy... Nice to be asked to join the HOG road crew. FWIW, I can totally relate to the kind of weather you faced! Spring in the Rockies, Spring in the U.K.! What is a "reccy" ride? Well, at the very least, when you gather with your HOG friends, you'll be able to recount... "Remember that March ride to Sussex... " :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Took the cover off the bike yesterday (03-25-07)

After checking fluids, tire pressure, etc, spent the next 2 1/2 hours on the bike. Where did I go - anywhere and everywhere my mind told me to - about 125 miles. Woooo hooooo for Spring in N.E. Ohio.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Put on a couple hundo yesterday with the BF on the back... exploring the local roads. Got a lil' sun on my nose. I think I like it here!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the cover off the bike yesterday (03-25-07)

After checking fluids, tire pressure, etc, spent the next 2 1/2 hours on the bike. Where did I go - anywhere and everywhere my mind told me to - about 125 miles. Woooo hooooo for Spring in N.E. Ohio.
Harley Guy... spring rides after a winter of practicing patience, are some of the finest!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts