Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Snow in Utah today. I would be pissed, but the bike is down for paint anyways and I am at work......doing hard work stuff.....like posting here too damn much.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Where you at in Colo sfarson? After I get back from bug country we will have to find a halfway point to ride to and throw water baloons at each other. Raebear lives out Grand Junction ways and I can scoop him up and it will be 2 against one.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Mike... I'm in rural Park County. The county seat is Fairplay if you can find that on a map. Yes, do know of Raebear wandering the border of Utah and Colorado.

Have intentions of riding west to Utah late summer if possible. Leaving for New Mexico and Arizona with five friends next weekend. Two have never seen stunning southern Utah. Saw a magazine article recently describing the two day ride from Moab to Zion and the challenge was thrown out by the author for anyone to come up with a finer two day ride. I did most of this two years ago and would have to concur with the author's p-o-v.

BTW, if any consolation, snow the last two days here, and more forecasted for tomorrow!?! But at least it is wet and will be gone by Monday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mike... I'm in rural Park County. The county seat is Fairplay if you can find that on a map. Yes, do know of Raebear wandering the border of Utah and Colorado.

Have intentions of riding west to Utah late summer if possible. Leaving for New Mexico and Arizona with five friends next weekend. Two have never seen stunning southern Utah. Saw a magazine article recently describing the two day ride from Moab to Zion and the challenge was thrown out by the author for anyone to come up with a finer two day ride. I did most of this two years ago and would have to concur with the author's p-o-v.

BTW, if any consolation, snow the last two days here, and more forecasted for tomorrow!?! But at least it is wet and will be gone by Monday.
If you are going that far south into zion I would also recommend the loop around Jacobs Lake out of knabb around the north rim of the grand canyon and into marble canyon and cliff dwellers back into Page Az. I am going to do that ride memorial day weekend with about 5 of my friends

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got back yesterday from 650mile round trip to The Belgian Beer Rally hosted by The Hannut Chapter.What a great time we had, 23 chapters from all over Europe including some ex-USA pats from Saars-Steele chapter in Germany.Strong beer, good food, good music, excellent ride-outs and warm sunshine.Only down side it rained best part of the journey home.Better get cleaning those spokes.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brugge is not far from where the BBR was staged, why not put a date in your diary for next year and come over, see your friend at the same time.I expect next year will be even better, and yes they do have some strong and very nice beers.:)

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
One of my favorite rides of all time groovyknight was when my friend in Brugge arranged for a hired bike for me out of Brugge June 2005, and I spend five days touring France, with a focus in the Normandy and D-Day area, then the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) of southern Belgium. Have a fondness for history.

I could probably schedule a trip on the right timing. Was in Brussels two weeks ago. What I really want to do is ride the U.K, maybe up to Scotland, one of these days/years.

·
Registered
43,124 Posts
I was stationed in England for 3 years. One of my most memorable trips was a 2 week trip into the Be-Ne-Lux area. Went to a rally on the beach in Belgium during that time and raced a guy on the sand... not sure who won the race (he thought I won, I thought he won.... I guess it was close!). But anyway after that race, I had a hard time paying for my own beer! Everytime I got close to being empty, someone was always coming up to me giving me a new beer! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chapter ride-out yesterday down into deepest Kent, our "Garden of England" ride.Usually attracts about 100+ bikes but weather was awful,torrential rain.Still 50 of us braved it.It was horrible,slippery muddy country lanes,mad car drivers, and horses to contend with.Still we made it.The arranged Hog-roast in the pub garden was a wash out,the lonely pig cooking away in the rain.The Rythm n Blues band had to set up indoors, loud but brilliant.Sun came out late evening and at least the ride home was pleasant.My day was spoiled by some dealership/chapter personal politics,which has resulted in me resigning from road captain.Still onwards and upwards.Another day dawns.
With regard to Scotland,there's a good rally in late August "Thunder in the Glens" at Aviemore.:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another Recce

Although no longer a "road captain" went on a recce ride today (didn't want to let my chapter brothers down) into France and Belgium for what we call our "HOG's Legs Ride on June 7th.Crossed the channel by Eurotunnel, cheap and quick, then from Calais to Bergues for morning coffee, then on to Ypres, where I ventured up to the Mennen Gate as I knew my grandmother's brother's names were inscribed.I think there are over 53,000 names there of British soldiers whose bodies were either unrecognisable or not found. I made a call to my sister as I wasn't sure which regiment they were in.Incredibly as she told me "The Royal Fusiliers", I was standing directly in front of their plaque and their names were there.I never knew them but I felt quite emotional.Then after lunch back to St.Omer for afternoon coffee, then home.Great weather and a great day.About 250 miles round trip.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Rode the LBB back from IA yesterday... Nice until I hit Aurora and the temps dropped 20 deg.

Now I just need to find out why she's only puttin' out 133 miles on a friggin' tank of gas!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
groovyknight... I would thoroughly enjoy a ride with you to a historical place. Your thoughts on the Mennen Gate (53,000 British soldiers!) remind me when I walked to the shoreline at Omaha Beach and turned around to face the bluffs, German bunkers, and mayhem, the Allied soldiers faced when their landing crafts lowered the gate. Hallowed ground.

How about that... standing right in front of the Royal Fusiliers plaque.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
"Large Blue Barge", aka the "Big Blue Bitch". Poor bike doesn't know where "home" is any more. On the plus side, she's getting ridden this year. Yeah, the mileage just plain sucks. I wonder if the 25 up front has anything to do with it... I think a visit to the dyno-cologist may be the next step... she was never quite 'sorted out' after she received her 'beauty treatments'.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, its rained every day for the past 5, 70% chance today. So much for the drought. I sat on the bike in the garage and made brrm brrm sounds. Does that count for anything?
Danii... During my ride to NM/AZ with some buds, was hit by rain on that Saturday. I've been able to ride everyday since and there was a streak where I was hit by rain 12 DAYS IN A ROW. So I can relate. Ahhh, but things are nice and green here now. Even had 3" of snow this morning but it has melted.

BTW, remember your ride two summers ago trying to find a cutover to Steamboat Springs from eastern WY, and I think you took a road SW out of Chugwater, WY? Saw a report on this road yesterday and thought of you. If you didn't do this road, well, never mind. :)

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
"Large Blue Barge", aka the "Big Blue Bitch". Poor bike doesn't know where "home" is any more. On the plus side, she's getting ridden this year. Yeah, the mileage just plain sucks. I wonder if the 25 up front has anything to do with it... I think a visit to the dyno-cologist may be the next step... she was never quite 'sorted out' after she received her 'beauty treatments'.
Ahhhh... the LBB. Like it! As well as, "dynocologist" :)

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Danii... During my ride to NM/AZ with some buds, was hit by rain on that Saturday. I've been able to ride everyday since and there was a streak where I was hit by rain 12 DAYS IN A ROW. So I can relate. Ahhh, but things are nice and green here now. Even had 3" of snow this morning but it has melted.

BTW, remember your ride two summers ago trying to find a cutover to Steamboat Springs from eastern WY, and I think you took a road SW out of Chugwater, WY? Saw a report on this road yesterday and thought of you. If you didn't do this road, well, never mind. :)
Actually, it was 34, SW, which leaves 25 north of there. It goes to N of Laramie. I tend to stay on paved roads.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts