Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you take your business there? What dealer is it?

Do you go there because...

- sales/selection
- price
- parts/accessories
- service department
- treated like royalty

Or, in spite of the preceding? Are you loyal to this dealer? Wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee was monitoring this forum. I know they do others.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me... Rocky Mountain H-D gets most of my business.

Enjoy the people there much. Always a smile, always a hearty greeting. They enjoy their product.

Sales department knows what is going on with Milwaukee... what bikes are coming and when, what change orders they can place for me (Ex... I wanted a Denim DX, not a Vivid DX... and they handled this), and they follow up well/consistently. When you pick up your bike they take pictures of you with it and send you a wall calendar with you and the bike. Nice touch.

When I bought the RK they noted a stitch missing in the seat. I didn't see this, nor thought it a big deal. They felt it unacceptable and had the seat warrantee replaced. When I went to pick up the seat I mentioned a rattle in the front end. They took a look, saw a problem, but it couldn't be fixed before closing. They loaned me a brand new VRSCAW to ride home on and bring back the next day.

There are two dealers about the same distance from me; RMH-D is the one I'm loyal to. Oh, I will pick up an accessory or two at the other, since I go by it often, but RMH-D has earned the relationship.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I go to Blue Springs HD here in Missouri. I go there for all of the reasons you posted. They are a kick-ass dealer, and will always have my business. I have been to the other delers in my area, and none of them come close to BSHD!!!!! Bought both my bikes from them, and they are the only ones to ever put a wrench on my bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have bought 2 bikes from Brians HD in Lanhorne PA. They are a large dealer, but treat you like a family member. The dealership is a great supporter of the Local HOG chapter, MDA and a community involvement. Their service department has never done me wrong and goes out of their way to make sure repairs/service work is completed in a quality way.

The Owner Brian and the GM Dan are always available and spend time in both the service area and showroom floor. This dealership is big into activities. Last night Michele Smith of American Thunder hosted a fashion show. In August, The Dealership GM and Marketing Department are hosting a ride to Vermont. Just a great place with great people! And BTW they Support Vords - They have a Vrod racing team! Also Sell a bunch of them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
No No No

- location.................NO
- friends..................NO
- sales/selection.......NO
- price....................Definatley NO
- parts/accessories...NO
- service department.Definatley NO
- treated like royalty..I have always been treated like @#$%
Bud's Harley Davidson
Evansville, Indiana

I have visited...HD in Bowlingreen, KY, HD in Terre Haute, IN, HD in Mt. Vernon, IL, HD in Bloomington, IN.... I purchased my first Harley from Bud's in 1969...I will never purchase another.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Steve,

Where's RMH? I've been to Thunder Mtn. H-D numerous times (nearly bought an VRSCA from them last year, the paper work was complete, short story...not impressed), but I have no desire to go there again. The only time I get near the place now, is when I go to Northern Colorado BMW/Ducati just down the road.

My dealer is Bear Tooth H-D in Billings,MT., class act, great service, friendly, and attentive to your needs. Give them a look see if your in the hood.

Barry

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barry... It is on the SSW side of Denver, near the exit of C-470 and Santa Fe (Hwy 85). I could connect you there, but it sounds like you have a very fine place not too far away.

Have never been to MT. It also is on my radar for one of these years. Saw your great ride plans for this year... California, the West, and Glacier Nat'l. I hear the Going-to-the-Sun road is outstanding.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
My ex is the lead tech at Lake Shore HD in Libertyville... I would recommend him for service... can't say too much good about the management or sales/parts departments.

I have had good experiences in past years with Chicago Harley on the sales, service AND parts side (although it's been probably 8-9 years since I've dealt with their service department).

Haven't used my "new" local shops (Hawkeye and Metro) for anything yet - we'll see. I've been "spoiled" by the fact that I've not had to turn a wrench on my own junk for the past 7 years - now that I'm back on my own, I've already found that my tool box is in need of restocking!!

·
Scooter Degenerate
33 Posts

Nice idea Stevie... good for riders and a nice way to put back a little something to the dealers.

Privateers Harley Davidson... Halifax.

Won Canadian dealer of the year this year for the second time. This is a major accomplishment as Halifax is way small in the scheme of things.

Given they all sell the same scooters, it mostly comes down to people and attitude. The folks at Privateers go out of their way to make every experience the most important one.

Maybe that's why i scoot out there at least a couple of times a week to say hi and drink their half decent coffee.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Responses below. My dealer is Rocky Mount HD in Rocky Mount, NC. They aren't far off of I-95 if you are ever going by.

- location as close to me as several others
- friends several friends have bought bikes there
- sales/selection they had just what I wanted on the floor but I probably would have bought through them either way
- price no extra or hidden charges inflating the price only to turn around and give me store credit to force me to buy stuff I didn't want at the time - I liked that
- parts/accessories always helpful and full of advice with a take it or leave it (no pressure) attitude. if they don't have it, they will within a couple of days
- service department seem friendly and knowledgable enough. fortunately I haven't had to use them yet
- treated like royalty no, but then I don't want to be. I would say treated more like a friend and, more importantly, like anyone else - no matter how much bike I bought

Or, in spite of the preceding? Are you loyal to this dealer? Wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee was monitoring this forum. I know they do others.
I'm very loyal and I think they realize that early on and reward it. I would be disappointed if Milwaukee didn't monitor sites like this. It's a way to find out what people really think, say, and want (good or bad).

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
New owners of Bell County Harly Davidson have made a believer out of me.

Now it is Horny Toad HD.

Saturday they threw on a hog roast and free beer all day. I'll have to post a picture of the hog's head.

Sunday, Kay's Motorcycle Mania, an Indie in Nolenville celebrated their anniversary with barbeque and beer all day.

We're blessed with some great folks around here that care for their customers.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dinero No Mas... those are examples separating H-D dealerships from so many others. And how about that... an Indie doing something similar. Reminds me how H-D is more than just a bike.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts

- location- 4th and Main, he hangs out behind the big oak tree in the shadow of the night.
- friends- Not many, but he has many customers
- sales/selection- Very busy/ nickel bag, dime bag
- price- fixed, Pay Up Sucker!
- parts/accessories- he packs a Saturday night special
- service department- none
- treated like royalty- takes your cash, hands over the goods and it's back to behind the old oak tree in the shadows of the night.

Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.

Why do you take your business there?
I take my business to a local Indy that is not about ripping people off. I had Dyna and stopped in for the first time for and inspection. The bike was a little over a year old with only 4-5k miles on it (I had just bought it). He commented on the ever so slight superficial cracks along the bead on the front tire. He said it should be OK, but he wouldn't chance it, and he could probably get it replaced under warranty. Not being one for taking chances like that I told him to put a new one on. I paid him and he said he would check with the Drag Specialty rep. later in the week. The following week I'm in there for something else and he asked if I wanted a refund or a store credit. I took the store credit since he was now my favorite Indy. Since, I've spent several thousand bucks there and my friends as well. He could have gotten the credit, pocketed the cash and told me the rep would;'t stand behind it since it was over a year old. That, is what I call integrity.

What dealer is it?
Easy Eddies Motorcycles, formerly "Easyriders of Mecklenburg"

704-875-2501

- location-
Huntersville, NC

- friends-
Untold thousands, always a poker run or something to support someone in need of help.

- sales/selection-
Used bikes (several) , Wide selection

- parts/accessories-
H-D, Drag Specialties, Metzeler, Kurykyn, if he don't have it, he'll gladly order it for you. Always has a good deal on Metzeler tires, several times a year he has a special "Buy the rear, get the front free"

- service department-
4-5 lifts AMA certified mechanics

- treated like royalty-
Everyone is treated as if they've been around forever.

Stop in parts, service or even a cold one, he now has a sports bar in the store. Tell them that Hudson boy sent ya!

I honestly can't say any of the H-D dealers would do the same that I've visited. It's all about the Benjamin's there, not the desire to exceed the customers expectations.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
2K... Sounds like you have found a quality place to take your business, one with integrity, camaraderie, and service. That is what it is about.
When I took my bike in the first time and he offered to try and get my tire replaced under warranty without knowing me from Jack. I knew I had found a good place to do business with. Later we realized his wife and my wife were classmates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saw your great ride plans for this year... California, the West, and Glacier Nat'l. I hear the Going-to-the-Sun road is outstanding.
Steve,

Going-to-the-Sun is a "not to miss" ride event, hopefully the weather cooperates, like any mtn. route, could snow anytime. My last ride on the Sun, was picture perfect in all respects. For you, whom the camera is apparently a natural extension of your body, it would be an opportunity for some very impressive photos.

Barry

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Barry... Noted this news blurb:

April 2, 2007
Spokesman Review
Spokane, WA

Plows to begin clearing Going-to-the-Sun Road

Snowplows are scheduled to start cutting through drifts today, the start of annual work to open Glacier National Park's Going-to-the-Sun Road for the summer. The 2007 opening may be the most complex on record.

Washouts and accumulations of rocky debris from torrential rain late last year are among the reasons. In 2006 the road opened on June 23. In 2005 the date was May 22. This year's opening is projected for July 1.

Progress in clearing the highway is watched closely by businesses that rely on Glacier's 2 million summer visitors.

There are plans to install a temporary, steel bridge along a 103-foot-long stretch of road wiped out in the November storm. In just one day it dumped 8.5 inches of rain on ground already soft from earlier precipitation. Then the snow came.

Park officials estimate replacing the road and removing flood debris will cost $7 million. Repairing trail damage could cost an additional $1 million.

As survey crews wait to see whether melting snow will take out any more of the road east of the Continental Divide, they have been getting bad news on the west side.

"On Tuesday, we got word that one of the storm-damaged sections along upper McDonald Creek is experiencing further bank erosion," park spokeswoman Amy Vanderbilt said. "Bank stabilization had not been completed there last fall, and the bank is starting to slide further."

There also are new problems around the historic Logan Creek Bridge on the west side. Floodwaters did not go under the bridge but instead took out some of the road just above it. Crews cleared debris from the bridge area, but the creek has flowed over the repaired road, Vanderbilt said.

"The bridge was cleared, but the creek bed was not cleared, so the creek has begun flooding out of its banks again," she said.

The temporary solution for the gaping hole in the road on the east side of the Divide is a two-lane bridge stored in the Rising Sun Campground west of St. Mary. a crew will install the bridge this spring, said John Schnaderbeck of the Federal highway Administration.

Having the bridge in place will allow a contractor to reach a site where the highway administration has determined a retaining wall about 400 ft long is necessary."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not unusual for minor road damage, but this is major damage. I hadn't heard about it, thanks for posting that Steve. We're looking at the first week of September for our trip, so hopefully the repairs will have been completed by then.

Barry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts