Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: Whats up? Just picked up riding again after many years and it feels good.Have a Road King Classic w/RH true duals and stage 1,needs to have a fuel management sys.What to get is the real Q and leaning towards the TV II but would like to know if it's liked or not. Does it live up to it's claim????? Good or bad like to hear it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've ridden an 06 Street Bob before and after the Terminal Velocity and there seemed to be quite an improvement in power and smoothness. He did mention that his fuel economy was better as well.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've ridden an 06 Street Bob before and after the Terminal Velocity and there seemed to be quite an improvement in power and smoothness. He did mention that his fuel economy was better as well.
Thanks,glade to hear the info.Hate to spend bucks on something that doesn't work!Still haven't made up my mind yet.thanks again,ride on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a Terminal Velocity in my 2004 Road King Classic (1690 cc) and IMHO is the best investment you can do, very easy to install, you don't need to dyno,
get much better response all the way and save some fuel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For what it is worth, I had a TV unit on my 98" Revolution Performance build. I got it for free as a tester. They wanted to know how it would work with the Magnetti Marelli EFI on a 98" build.
Snake oil as far as I'm concerned!
Maybe it works good with a Delphi bike or a Delphi bike that has a close map to begin with, but, I can tell you it has it's limitations.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies.Went for a nice ride today,quick stop by HD shop and then for some grub,couldn't ask for a better Nov. day around here.Freebies are nice.Still compiling info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are looking for closed loop then the best solution (IMHO) is the Daytona Twin-Tec TCFID. It replaces the Delphi ECM completely and has the capability to accommodate a wild an engine build as you could contemplate. It's only limited by the person installing it's ability to understand EFI systems. That means it's fairly complicated but there are a few dealers spread around the country with some decent experience with the box.

For the TC motors there are thousands of these in use so there is also a fairly decent body of experience out there.

BTW, it's plug and play with the '07 bikes, all you do is replace the ECM and the factory O2 sensors, apply a base program to the bike and fine tune it after a few hundred miles.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll add the fact that mjw930 has NUMEROUS post on VRF concerning various aftermarket EFI units, their maps, their user friendliness, and so on. He has always seemed to have clear understanding of how EFI systems work, so in other words He knows his Sh*t!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll add the fact that mjw930 has NUMEROUS post on VRF concerning various aftermarket EFI units, their maps, their user friendliness, and so on. He has always seemed to have clear understanding of how EFI systems work, so in other words He knows his Sh*t!
Thanks,

I don't want to sound like a shill for DTT, their system is far from perfect, but at this time it's one of the best out there for closed loop operation. If you have heavily modified your bike, especially with big cams, then you will find that the Speed Density systems like the one that comes with the bike have a very hard time with the overlap. An AplhaN system resolves many of these issues, especially at idle.

I believe S&S has a similar system so that might be worth a look as well.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

I don't want to sound like a shill for DTT, their system is far from perfect, but at this time it's one of the best out there for closed loop operation. If you have heavily modified your bike, especially with big cams, then you will find that the Speed Density systems like the one that comes with the bike have a very hard time with the overlap. An AplhaN system resolves many of these issues, especially at idle.

I believe S&S has a similar system so that might be worth a look as well.
What's up??and THANKS---Glade to know about the new/old chit out there.Never heard of them cus just started looking at the brains.Old bike had mag,coil,plug and gas--kick and go.Like to do my homework if you know what I mean!!!!

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks *******,never know who your talking to out there.Keep the coments comin. Later

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can absolutely agree that the DTT is a great system! It is extremely versatile, user friendly, and with a bit of time spent getting to know and understand the way it functions, puts you in total controll!

·
Registered
17 Posts
TV2, is a great unit if your looking at a standard build (exhaust / intake) We did a 95" high compression, big cams, heads. Off the dyno in the Customers mind it ran good, once on the dyno didnt turn out to be that great. Could have got a lot more with a custom map on a PC3

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will be putting the HD race Tuner on mine real soon. I have heard good/bad about it, but you never know till you try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW: I think the HD Race Tuner and to a degree the Power Commander is "aged technology" now that the Twin Scan and Daytona Twin-Tech are working so well.

Consider these issues: AFTER the initial investment, you can change exhaust, fuel delivery and other items at will. Then you can literally pick a map and go for a ride and the motor will autmattically adjust to the changes and run optimally. When you're ready to trade or sell you can put your stock stuff back on and put the stock ECM back in and everything will work fine all without a single trip to the dyno. NEAT!!

ALSO The DTT can be reinstalled on your next bike or sold at your option.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW: I think the HD Race Tuner and to a degree the Power Commander is "aged technology" now that the Twin Scan and Daytona Twin-Tech are working so well.

Consider these issues: AFTER the initial investment, you can change exhaust, fuel delivery and other items at will. Then you can literally pick a map and go for a ride and the motor will autmattically adjust to the changes and run optimally. When you're ready to trade or sell you can put your stock stuff back on and put the stock ECM back in and everything will work fine all without a single trip to the dyno. NEAT!!

Hey thanks, I've thought about the later part and think it might be best. You never know what might get into ones-self.

Thanks Again for all the great info.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the Terry Conmponents unit, its not wide banded enough for a normal stage 2 HD upgrade. Going with the DTT.

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, band width not wide enough. Sounds like TV2 is very limited which is the feedback I've been getting, thanks Chipmaker. Let me known how the DTT works out.

Big D.

·
COB
1,984 Posts

I agree to a point. That point being $$$. The DTT looks awesome but is 2X the price of the SERT. If you have a bike that does not have O2 bungs on the exhaust you then have the expense of getting them brazed on or going to a new exhaust.

I chose the SERT as my best option for what I am doing. But if I was building a hot motor I would just add in the expense of the DTT. And it REALLY pisses me off that the SERT marries the ECU. In fact, that is it's only purpose in life....the software and hardware is already there, we just get to pay $500 to use it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea but what you forgot in your calculations is the Dyno runs for the SERT to "Dial It In".

By the time you get thru it's a wash!! Also you will need to carry the security link for your bike and a copy of the map you are using with you in case of trouble on the road. That's the only way you will be able to make adjustments or changes since you can't "View" the SERT maps that are loaded on the ECM.

Regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts