Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding a couple of years ago when I turned 51. I bought my new to me 2003 Heritage last July. I finally got around to selling my starter bike 1997 Honda just this week.

A coworker and her 68 year old husband came over to the house. He has ridden for many years and wanted to buy a bike like he had years ago. He rode the bike in my neighborhood, then we went out on the road so he could actually get the bike out of 2nd gear. This guy was all smiles, ear to ear.

He went down with the bike coming wide out of a turn. I think he hit some sand. The bike rode him off the road and into a ditch. The guy was seriously injured, and an airlift to a trauma ER was required. He ended up with a broken shoulder blade, collar bone, ribs on both sides, ankle and several vertebrae. Additionally his spleen was damaged. He had spleen surgery that day and the ankle will be worked on this week. The kickstand went through his leg, too.

The first words out of his mouth when he gathered his wits at the accident scene were an apology for the bike. His wife shoved money for the bike in my pocket at the scene. I really didn't care about the bike, it wasn't worth much. I was worried about him. They already have the bike in the shop getting fixed. The accident was only 5 days ago.

My take away is that we always have to maintain our edge of alertness when we ride. This guy was hurt badly. Prayer to him.

·
Registered
982 Posts
That is so unfortunate. Hope he recovers completely and is able to climb back on after recovery. Also, hope a lawsuit doesn't come up.

On that note, is there a document available for individuals who want to sell their bike to another individual that is a release of liability to the seller in case of instances like this? These days and times you need to cover your ass as much as possible.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,202 Posts
Prayers up from here. It sucks to go down. Been there, done that, and it hurts. Sand and pea gravel are not a rider's friend.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Man that's too bad. I hate that for that guy. Sounds like he was happy as could be and then... prayers for a speedy recovery.

and I just hate that someone even haves to mention a possibility of a lawsuit. but that is today's society. If the courts would just throw that crap out and ... well just drop it. no sense in ranting

·
Former Lurker
3,951 Posts
Bummer.
I hope he recovers.
Medical bills will break them. His insurance may come after you in a suit.
His regular health insurance won't pay for an accident. Don't know if his ins would step in or step in and them go after you...
Hope you get through it unscathed...

·
Former Lurker
3,951 Posts
How do you know?
I know that if you or someone gets hurt on your property your homeowners/liability ins is what is supposed to cover it, not health ins.
Same with auto. That is why you have to have PIP as part of your coverage, because your regular health plan does not cover accidents.

I had two guys I worked with get in a car accident with someone who had no auto insurance.
Their health insurance got them into the hospital and then treated, but it went after both them and the owner of the car afterwards to recover what they paid out..
Health insurance is for illness, not accidents.
And they are ruthless.
I just hope this does not come back to bite the OP in a big way...

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,202 Posts
I unfortunately have to vouch for this. I had my surgery and hospital stay after the Nice Lady in the SUV and I met, and my job hospitalization and health paid the bill less my deductible, then they bombed me with mail and calls wanting reimbursement from either my bike insurance or the Nice Lady's in the SUV insurance. And they definitely were ruthless. I had to wait for nearly 4 years to collect, and by then they had fortunately given up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know that if you or someone gets hurt on your property your homeowners/liability ins is what is supposed to cover it, not health ins.
Same with auto. That is why you have to have PIP as part of your coverage, because your regular health plan does not cover accidents.

I had two guys I worked with get in a car accident with someone who had no auto insurance.
Their health insurance got them into the hospital and then treated, but it went after both them and the owner of the car afterwards to recover what they paid out..
Health insurance is for illness, not accidents.
And they are ruthless.
I just hope this does not come back to bite the OP in a big way...
I guess I just realized I've never been injured in an accident, of any kind...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts