Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you Texas riders, House Bill TX81RSB 506 will be coming up for a vote in the Texas Legislature. It is a reintroduction of a bill to allow lane splitting in Texas. Contact your Representative if you are interested.

We like lane splitting here in Calif - at least I do

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I don't know, all it takes is one guy to throw open a door, and that's it. Not to mention the loose rock and broken glass and other pieces of debris on the side of the road. Am I against it? No. Personally I probably wouldn't do it. But there might be times when it's necessary.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Thanks for the info, Mike. I was all over it when it was introduced a few years back and ended up not even making it to the floor of the House.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Thanks for the info, Mike. I was all over it when it was introduced a few years back and ended up not even making it to the floor of the House.
I believe it's elegal in Mass. I agree with the door thing, they could do in on purpose and say oops.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the only state where it's legal is California.

I say pass the law here then let the riders be responsible for their own safety.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - its been legal in Calif longer than I've been here (moved here in 75), and I do it (with discretion) and have done it for 30 some years. I think the 'door thing' your talking about is largely a myth - have you ever seen someone open their door on the freeway? (not saying it hasn't ever happened - as everything has probably happened at one point or another). When it is legal, drivers (most) are aware and tolerant of it. If you split with a certain amount of discretion and concern for your safety its a big time saver - like I said we love it here in Calif., one of the few (only?) states where it is legal in. NOTE: actually it isn't necessarily 'legal' in Calif. as in spelled out in the states statutes, it just that it is not 'illegal'.

What you really need to be aware of is some jerk off switching lanes (quickly) without looking in his mirrors, now that could make for an unpleasant day.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
I haven't seen the new bill here but, if it's that similar to the last one, then splitting is only allowed at 20MPH or less.

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Interesting... I guess OK doesn't care one way or the other. Try it in front of a trooper there then let us know? :D

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
LOL, I think i will pass :) I am not really for it or against it. It is not something it think i would like to practice. I typically stay on the back roads and avoid major interstate highways, its a much more pleasant ride for me on the backroads.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Lane Splitting: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Does this mean its legal in Oklahoma?
Until a cow wanders out in front of you.......:D Then....it's dinner time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am for it, absolutely. When was the last time any one of you bikers tried traveling Eastbound 635 from Irving, Texas to Mesquite on a weeday between 1200 noon and 1900. And do this in July or August on a air cooled bike. Try this a couple times then decide if you are for or against lane splitting. Like someone else stated in this thread, legalize it and let the rider decide. Just like helmet laws

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oklahoma is like Ohio... "Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes" means that there isn't a law on the books that says you can't lane split. It's not illegal. I'll do it sometimes if the freeway is all stopped and I think I'm not getting enough air to the motor. Sure is narrow when you're on a Road King though.

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
Here's the linky:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/pdf/SB00506I.pdf

By:AACarona S.B.ANo.A506
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTIONA1.AASection 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
(1) notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
standards adopted by the department; and
(2) the operator operates the motorcycle:
(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic;
(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
miles per hour or less; and
(C) in a location other than a school crossing
zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
or less.
SECTIONA2.AAThis Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I believe the intent of the Cali law is to prevent overheating of air cooled bikes not to save anyone time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never said it was to save anyone time, I said I like it and it saves me time. Also, again it isn't a law, rather it is tolerated and there isn't a law against it.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Never said it was to save anyone time, I said I like it and it saves me time. Also, again it isn't a law, rather it is tolerated and there isn't a law against it.
Got it Mike. My post was not a response to your post but rather general information. :thumb

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I think the 'door thing' your talking about is largely a myth - have you ever seen someone open their door on the freeway? .
Me no. My wife yes. She was sitting in traffic while they were clearing a wreck. (Fort Worth) While sitting there, "Jr" came by on his rice rocket. Right down the shoulder. The guy in front of her she said had been stretching his arms and seemed restless. Well as Jr went past, the guy in front opened his door to get out, Jr missed the door by three inches or so. The guy got out and was looking around, a bit confused she said. I'm sure Jr stoppped at the first gas station to clear out his pants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oklahoma is like Ohio... "Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes" means that there isn't a law on the books that says you can't lane split. It's not illegal. I'll do it sometimes if the freeway is all stopped and I think I'm not getting enough air to the motor. Sure is narrow when you're on a Road King though.
I think its the same thing here in TX :coffee

1 - 20 of 21 Posts