1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short story about good people you meet on the road merits a preface,
I don't think I ever noticed one word sentances before I moved to Texas,

"D'jeat?" is a good example.

I was riding to work early one cold dark morning lately, and realized I had left one of my jacket pockets unzipped.
I was afraid my shop keys or cell phone might find their way out and be lost.
I was the only vehicle in sight for the moment, it happened to be a deserted stretch of road,
so I pulled over in a driveway to struggle with the zipper, trying not to have to remove my gloves.

Only seconds later, the very first vehicle to come along was an old cowboy in an old pickup,
he pulled partly off the road and rolled down the passenger side window.

Polite, neighborly, concerned, he added to my one word sentance list.
" Yawright? "

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
You won't ever meet any better people than you meet in Texas.

Y'all could meet worse, though :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I kinda like them Texans myself.

I have lived in Texas 3 times. In most places you move to the people don't like outsiders....especially Californians. The first time I moved to Texas I met a ol' boy and he asked me if I was originally from Texas and I told him no. "Well! Aincha glad ya found it?!" Gotta love people like that.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Especially in the big cities, like Dallas and Houston,
where the real Texans know they are a minority in a vast sea of foreigners,
the "Native Texan" bumper sticker is popular, there is even a special license plate.

The corresponding sticker for us outsiders is,
"Wasn't born a Texan, but I got here as soon as I could"

When the real Texans talk about securing their borders,
you can't be real sure if they're talking about the Rio Grande
or the Red River. Prolly both, and just about equally.

I used to travel a lot, and in Boston, or Philadelphia, to walk down the hall,
or enter an elevator, and nod " g'mornin' " to strangers, makes them jump back.
And especially to walk up to the urinal and confidently make eye contact
with the guy next to you and say "how'y'doin?" I believe would panic guys in some places.

It's not all cordial. I did get spit on in Philadelphia by some street wacko,
and I don't think that could happen in Texas, at least not more than once or twice,
cause some cowboy would stomp the holy bejezus out of the poor fool.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I have found Texans to be much more accepting of outsiders than any other southern state. Even curious to how life is in other places. I cant say that for some other states.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
"When I die
I may not go to Heaven.
'Cause I don't know
If they let cowboys in.

"If they don't
Just let me go to Texas, boys.
'Cause Texas is
As close as I've been."

--Tanya Tucker

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Texas-Oklahoma rivalry amused a feller from Alaska I used to work with, he liked to say that Alaskans said if they heard much more about how big Texas was, they just might divide Alaska right down the middle, just to make Texas the third largest state.

He also said the happiest day any Alaskan can remember was the end of the pipeline work, and seeing 10,000 Texans headed South with an Oakie under each arm.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I never understood the Tejas/Oklahoma rivalry. Maybe Texas/California or something like that would make sense. But I have been to both Texas and Oklahoma and no offense, but Oklahoma isn't even in the same league as Texas. Texas has Austin, Oklahoma has Oklahoma City. Who takes a vacation in Oklahoma City? Now comparing Dallas to San Francisco, or Houston to LA is a whole different matter. All those cities have a lot going for them.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never understood the Tejas/Oklahoma rivalry
DOH! In recent years, it's the Texas / OU football game.

Fifty to 75 years ago, both states were very heavily invested in oil drilling,
and oilfield workers from one state were seen as interlopers in the other state.

That's my guesstimate of one source of the rivalry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love Texas. I was stationed there twice in my Army career. Once in '94 and recently I left there in November after a three year tour. I want to retire there when my time comes. There is a camraderie there and reverence to the state that you will not find in any other part of the country. "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
The OU/Texas rivalry is mostly because of football these days. It's fun to bash each other each year, but there are no better people, than people from Texas. Most of my travel from Oklahoma is south of the red river and plus, a lot of my family lives in Texas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Okay - I do live in Canada - but isn't Texas a part of Mexico? Anyway the Mexicans want it back. Now in the last election I seem to recall something about Texas being Obama country. That's disturbing considering I live in a conservative country.

I have a brother-in-law down in Dallas for the last ten years and his drawl seems to grow every year. What are you all doing to that lad - he even gave up hockey for Cowboy football tickets - the traitor!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Texas Backyard varmints

Think people are kidding about things being bigger in Texas?

Ant hill. But not just any ants, genuine ruin-your-weekend Fire-Ants.

Covering an 80 lb sack of concrete mix..

Here's a timed assault by the fire-ants at 6 seconds, you'd really regret it ...

At 30 seconds you'd wish there was an open flame you could thrust your hand into.
And wanting morphine.
Notice they don't care about the can but are eatin' my watch up, cause they think it ME!

I had to scrape them off my watch after kicking the can 5 or 6 times around the yard.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More Texas Yard Varmints.

This isn't ant-hills my yard is covered with.

Where one earth worm took a dump. How big is this worm, anyway?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts