Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, that's me!!:new Figured I'd stop in and say hi.

I finally won my appeal with the VA after 8 years to get my service connection rated correctly, and after about a month and a half of debating between bikes, Victory Cross Country Tour, or the HD Ultra Limited, I finally made my decision yesterday and signed my life away on the Ultra :biking: Hopefully I'll be taking delivery within the next couple days.

I really thought I wanted the CC, but I just couldn't get over how clunky the transmission was. On both test rides I took on one, every shift was not only loud, it caused my girlfriend and I to bump helmets. I also started thinking about the money (and time possibly fabricating parts that don't exist) I would have had to put in to the bike to give me the features I wanted that already come on the Limited (LED lights, GPS, bars to give me a better grip angle, etc). The only thing I really wanted that didn't come on the Limited was a heated seat, so I bought the heated hammock seat to go along with it.

This will be my first Harley, although I have spent some time in the saddle of my dad's old 100th Anny Wide Glide and his old Heritage Soft Tail. Unfortunately due to his declining health, he had to sell both bikes, and I won't be able to ride with him, but I'm still trying to talk him in to a trike so we can at least take one final trip. Before the Ultra, I was punishing my body on a Suzuki Boulevard M90... great for running around town, but horrible for anything more than an hour.

Needless to say, I'm super stoked to actually be able to ride in comfort. My GF and I already have a trip planned for the summer, hopefully we'll be taking a sort of a "tour of the west", hitting up Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Redwoods, Hwy 1, Vegas, Grand Canyon, and anything else we find along the way.

Anywho, glad to be part of the family now, and I'll definitely make sure to post some pictures once I take delivery.

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. I think you got the right bike. I personally would never find out about the Victory clunky tranny cause I couldn't get past the Victory looks to try one out.

·
American
28,696 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Now that's a phenomenal trip that most of us never get to do in a lifetime. What a great initial excursion.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome :) Secret handshakes are awesome... guess I better get to browsing, lol.

It should be an epic trip, and I'm really hoping it happens, but if not, I'll just put it on the back burner for the time being and head back down to TN/NC and ride some of those killer roads I didn't ride last time I was was there :). The whole thing is really dependent on whether my ex wife is going to break my daughters heart again and not pick her up for summer break, if she doesn't, I won't be able to do the long trip, but will be able to go on some shorter trips.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Congrats!

Thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum! :USA

Another thing to consider for a trip with your dad is to rent a trike.

Would be able to take a trip with your dad, and he wont have to commit to ownership.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from OK; Dutch451. Thank you for your service to our great Nation. Congratulations on your new Ultra Limited. Great folks here and lots of information to search thru.

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did offer to rent him one, but he's still nervous about going out on a long road trip, mostly how being in the open air and changing altitudes will affect his lungs.

Unfortunately he was exposed to Agent Orange in Viet Nam, and is now experiencing nearly every side effect that comes with it. COPD, multiple cancers throughout his body (bladder, skin, lung) and just recently CDIP.

He's been a hard core Harley or Nothing kind of rider since the 60's (just try to imagine the hell I caught showing up with a Suzuki, lol) and still snubs his nose at a trike, but I'd bet if he'd catch a break on his health issues that he'd take me up on the offer on the trike just to be in the wind.

Being the good son I am though, I'll take him around town when I go visit him next... No one will notice he's riding on the back if I just throw a full face helmet on him, lol.

·
luv the low country
20,330 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Nice intro and congrats on the new Ultra.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida and good luck with that Ultra. A riding buddy of mine has had one for about 8 months now and he loves it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Welcome from another cheesehead hanging out in Oshkosh, WI. Hope you love your Limited as much as I love mine.

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly I'm surprised there hasn't been more WI replies here being as they're built here and all, lol.

Thanks for the welcome all :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts