Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn on my EG is really pitiful. What is a good upgrade for the horn without adding some monster air horns?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I put a set of Fiamm (?) highway blasters on my E.G. You need to also get and wire a relay in. My total cost from Advance Auto parts was about $40. I mounted one horn on each side of the front gas tank bolt. Not really "pretty" but nice and loud, just a little less than the air horns a lot of people use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used a WOLO-419 (paid about $35.00 awhile back @ JC Whitney).

I removed the plastic cover and separated the compressor and the horns. I threaded a brass fitting into both parts so I could mount them separately. The compressor is mounted under my tilt-up "police" seat, inside the frame, and although the horn instructions say to be sure to mount it (the compressor) vertically, I've had it mounted it horizontally for the past 2 years with no problems. Just make sure you give it a few toots every once in a while. That's my story anyway.

To supply the air to the horn, I clamped a piece of reinforced fuel line to the fittings on the compressor and horn.

I stuffed (needed to widen the stock horn housing just a tad) the horn into the stock housing and mounted it in the stock horn location. The bottom of the plastic horn sticks out about 1/8" of an inch or so, but it's not really noticeable. I guess I could have taken a grinder to the edge but since it can't really be seen, I left it alone.

Wired it up to the horn switch and the battery with a relay and it works like a charm. A much better attention-getter. I startled a cager once when he tried to change lanes; he swerved to the right and it looked like he was gonna have a heart attack.

A little ingenuity and patience is all it takes.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Yeah, the Fiamm freeway blaster also fits under the stock cow bell. A little note if you go this route,: If you're anal bout hidding wires,You're gunna hafta rotate the horn it it's housing 180 deg.and re-silicone it in. takes bout 10 mins.

It's fuggin loud too !

·
Eastbound and Down
94 Posts
I have the Wolo Bad Boy Chrome on my 88 springer softail. Scares the crap outta the kids.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
GOOD info Poi Dog, thanks!
Is the air horn "instantaneous" when you hit the button? I had air horns on a van once, and there was about 1/2 second delay.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
I found a horn similar to a Wolo on E-bay but it blasts away at 143db. It will get someone's attention.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wolo for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts