Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... spent two hours cleaning when I should have been riding, and it STILL looks like crap. :mad

Criteria for my next bike.

1. Must be the approximate color of brake dust and road grime.
2. NO wire wheels
3. NO white walls.

Live and learn.

I'm re-reading this and it sounds like I'm more unhappy than I really am. It looks GREAT when it's moving, so maybe that's the key, never stop moving.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
For mine, its simple soap and water for the tins and the chrome. Then Simple Green for the rims/tires and anything that could or would be really grimey. A really soft bristle brush gets the heavy stuff and a micro fiber towel or mitt gets the rest. A light coat of wax on the rims will help with the brake dust.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I spend way more time riding than polishing . . . and if you look at my bike, it's pretty obvious. It's not pretty in a lineup of newer bikes. But since I'm usually riding, it's never in a line up anyway.

'dale

·
Registered
145 Posts
i don't get a whole lot of time to ride. i have a job that requires me to drive the company's truck, so no commute time. add to that the young child at home, the wife, the house...well, you get the idea. anyway, when i get some time the decision to clean or ride is an easy one. i've had people ask me why i "keep her dirty". i don't know, she doesn't look that dirty to me and she feels great...

kgb

·
Registered
392 Posts
My bike is denim, few shots of harley denim spray w/ micro cloth, little metal polish for bright stuff and once in a while I jack it up and clean shocks,under motor and anything else I could reach and I'm pretty much done. Which is prolly what I'll be doing after a nice long ride, tomorrow hopefully ...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
When I can't or don't feel like riding, thats my cleaning time. I'll touch it up here and there, bugs off and such. Unless I get nailed in the rain, then it gets washed real good. OP.. solid rims suck too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Cleaning,wasjin" polishin" ..I have to be in right frame of mind, toward the end of the job I'm(most of the time) sick of doing it!

But I do keep it clean and shinning most of the time, unless I go through some bad weather or something its mostly just the dam bugs to deal with.

On trips when stopping for the night or stayin" in same place for a few days I take some cleaning stuff with me and do a little bug and grime detail.

Once I stopped at a truck stop in the last day of a seven day- 1700 mile road trip (spend two days in my home town) and some guy came up on another bike and said some wise crack about my bike being clean... after talking to him a bit I started thinking he was crackin on me for it.....

I just laughed and bullchitted with him for a while.

Like a women biker told me once, she said....If my bikes dirty the guys say I don't take care of it, if my bikes clean they say I don't ever ride it???

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
..... spent two hours cleaning when I should have been riding, and it STILL looks like crap. :mad

2. NO wire wheels
3. NO white walls.

Live and learn.

I'm re-reading this and it sounds like I'm more unhappy than I really am. It looks GREAT when it's moving, so maybe that's the key, never stop moving.
How's it run, hemp?

·
Lost in Space
6,851 Posts
I just hold my breath and run it though an automatic carwash once a week. Takes care of the weekly bath too.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I try really hard not to give a Freck about how it looks, but I just can't.

It gets an S-100 wash and leaf-blower dry once a week. I give the tins a quick wax every wash it only takes a few minutes.

The quick detailer is handy to get the dust and smudges off in between.

As for 2 hours cleaning, no freaking way. I don't care that much. I can get it to a 7 in 20-30 minutes. Another 90 is only going to get me an 8.5 at best. She's 8 years old. I say ride instead.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Don't wash a whole lot, but it does make for a great chance to check for anything leaking, loose nuts/bolts or spokes.

·
Banned
482 Posts

2. NO wire wheels
3. NO white walls.

Live and learn.

You need to add, never live on gravel road too. That's a whole other problem. Dust in places that is hard to get rid of. Like behind those cloth speaker grills. They are a real pain. You can see it but no amount of wiping touches it. So you blow it out and guess where the dust goes??? So not only do you get to worry ever time you go down the road, will this be the time you pick up a rock and break a belt, you also ride a dirty bike that looks like crap when you stop. Gggrrrrrrrr!:bigbarf

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I love hanging in the garage with a beer or scotch and a cigar. Especially when it's raining.

That makes for some good cleaning time for sure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thats how I do it...cold beer, cigar, radio on, out in the shop...I like that all most as much as riding..:nod

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I think I have it figured out. There is CLEAN, and there is CLEAN ENOUGH. My scoot is CLEAN ENOUGH.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts