Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been fooling around with this oil leak for awhile now, 2003 sporster, seems to be comming from the oil pressue sending unit, tighten it up some, but still leaks...............it seems to leak more at start up, and only a few drops when shutting off.

Enclosing some pics of what im talking about..........im wondering is there supposed to be some kind of gasket where red arrow is pointing to.

Where the red arrow is pointing to seems to be the leak, although i ran it for 10 minutes ideling after i tightened it to the point of no return. LOL...........so far hasent leaked, gonna try tomorrow at fast idle and see what happens.

Any fix for this......nothing i can find in my service manual.

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
It's most likely the switch itself. They can leak in the joints where the top (contact side) are crimped together. Never had a Harley leak there, but plenty of cars that have. There's a seal inside before the crimp. It drys out and the switch leaks, gets less when it warms up and everything expands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get that switch down at AutoZone ... :)
Thanks for the replys guys, on that switch, does that just pull off, i gave it a few tugs and that mother seems to be on really tight, i was worried about wrecking something............a part number for the switch would be great for my dumb ass. LOL

Thanks

Rich

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys, on that switch, does that just pull off, i gave it a few tugs and that mother seems to be on really tight, i was worried about wrecking something............a part number for the switch would be great for my dumb ass. LOL

Thanks

Rich
Twist slightly as you pull down on the boot, the wire will come off. The switch itself unscrews .

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yes, where the plastic and the alum. meet/crimp sometimes leaks. Just take it to the parts store and get one with the same threads and connectors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you'd rather have the factory part..... part# 26554-77. About 10-15 dollars at the dealer.
Thanks Bob, that part # now is 26554-77c.......went 50 miles out of my way to pick up that part, it looks nothing like the part i had in there, the guy say this is the only part that will fit your 2003 sporster.

Im enclosing two pics of the units, there is no way the new one will fit without maybe grinding 1/4 or more from the frame........not really wanting to do this, the frame isn"t all that thick in the first place.

Checked with the auto stores, the napa had one that cross reference to the 26554-77b, but it looks the same as i have.

The reason the new one doesn"t fit is because the plastic part of the unit hits the frame.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do.........

Pulling motor or grinding the frame down, see a little extreme to me. just to get the switch to fit.

Another option, and i checked all the ebay deals, all look like the one i bought today.......

Put the leaker back in, or what would happen if i just plugged the hole.

Can"t believe its this hard for something so simple........maybe its time to go "Honda" LOL

Any help would be appreciated

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remove it again and clean it up to immaculate condition. Add teflon tape to the threaded portion and reinstall. You can then be sure where it's leaking from.
Stemo, its new so i can"t clean it much better..........the problem i had with the old one i had on it was leaking between the metal & plastic..........my wife can get the old one on and off in a few seconds.............she tried for over an hour to get the new one on.............its not gonna fit without grinding the frame quite a bit, the plastic on the new one is hitting the frame.

Rich

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks Bob, that part # now is 26554-77c.......went 50 miles out of my way to pick up that part, it looks nothing like the part i had in there, the guy say this is the only part that will fit your 2003 sporster.

Im enclosing two pics of the units, there is no way the new one will fit without maybe grinding 1/4 or more from the frame........not really wanting to do this, the frame isn"t all that thick in the first place.

Checked with the auto stores, the napa had one that cross reference to the 26554-77b, but it looks the same as i have.

The reason the new one doesn"t fit is because the plastic part of the unit hits the frame.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do.........

Pulling motor or grinding the frame down, see a little extreme to me. just to get the switch to fit.

Another option, and i checked all the ebay deals, all look like the one i bought today.......

Put the leaker back in, or what would happen if i just plugged the hole.

Can"t believe its this hard for something so simple........maybe its time to go "Honda" LOL

Any help would be appreciated

Rich
You can plug the hole and nothing will happen except that you will not have the oil light .

You could also use a Street L 45* to give you more room to work with .

https://www.google.com/search?q=str...OAoLRtQW674CIDw&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=871

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Webco, i"ll look into that 45* angle deal, with all my luck the plug wont fit after that. LOL

Don"t know if having the oil light is a big deal or not, really never notice it one way or the other..

If anyone has the parts store number, auto zone or the like, let me know, because i didn"t get any where with them today.

Rich

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Chevy still puts that sender where the distributor used to be. Had to buy special socket to install a new one. What a PIA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL, just noticed from my first post on the pics, the service manual shows the newer version which i bought today.................there is no way that thing will fit without removing metal from the frame.

Rich

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
LOL, just noticed from my first post on the pics, the service manual shows the newer version which i bought today.................there is no way that thing will fit without removing metal from the frame.

Rich
Stay away from the grinder :eek

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Just have a friendly parts guy at NAPA or Advance or Autozone , look through his supply of oil pressure switches. It's normally closed and opens at about 5-10 Lps of pressure. 1/8 inch pipe thread. An early VW would work fine, as would almost all older autos. Nothing special about the Harley one.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This one looks to be a lower profile and may solve the problem but not sure if the thread diameter is the same Replacement Oil Pressure Switch on Harley Dyna FL Softail Models OEM 26561 99 | eBay I also saw this on an online search might help Go to napaonline.com and insert your motorcycle year / model. I wouldn't recommend it but if you clean the heck out of it with carb or brake cleaner (remove all oil) and coat the rim where the plastic meets the die cast with Poly Urethane and let dry it may hold up against the oil pressure and stop the leak for a long time. The closest I have come to the original is from a ford PN F5RZ9278A aka SW 5029 Have the auto parts store match up the threads and diameter New 1995 03 Ford Oil Pressure Sending Unit Part No F5RZ 9278 A SW 5029 | eBay With a finer thread. The threads must match the old unit. I belive the closest match with a flat Prong is from a Toyota 4 runner truck 1984 90 Toyota 4 Runner Truck Oil Pressure Switch | eBay Now if you can find this style with a round prong your set if the threads match I used this Video to help me get a match http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=B1403D20F06D4AA887C4B1403D20F06D4AA887C4

Attachments

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
This one looks to be a lower profile and may solve the problem but not sure if the thread diameter is the same Replacement Oil Pressure Switch on Harley Dyna FL Softail Models OEM 26561 99 | eBay I also saw this on an online search might help Go to napaonline.com and insert your motorcycle year / model. I wouldn't recommend it but if you clean the heck out of it with carb or brake cleaner (remove all oil) and coat the rim where the plastic meets the die cast with Poly Urethane and let dry it may hold up against the oil pressure and stop the leak for a long time. The closest I have come to the original is from a ford PN F5RZ9278A aka SW 5029 Have the auto parts store match up the threads and diameter New 1995 03 Ford Oil Pressure Sending Unit Part No F5RZ 9278 A SW 5029 | eBay With a finer thread. The threads must match the old unit. I belive the closest match with a flat Prong is from a Toyota 4 runner truck 1984 90 Toyota 4 Runner Truck Oil Pressure Switch | eBay Now if you can find this style with a round prong your set if the threads match I used this Video to help me get a match 2003 Sportster oil pressuer sending unit - Bing Videos
Have to be careful trying the sealant idea. Mine was leaking on my truck. The plastic was very loose, surprised it did not completely pop apart.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts