Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1976 I saw Evel Knievel jump . They let us down on the field after the event. I rode dirt bikes at that time and checked out both Evels XR-750 and the one that his son Robbie rode. Robbie was riding a Harley as well but it was like a SX 250. One thing I think I remembered was that the throttle on the XR-750 turned clockwise. I found it strange and thought at that time it was that way from stock. Years later I met one of his old mechanics in Daytona and he told me many things about his jumps. He said they geared the motorcycle so he didn't have to shift from a stop to the ramp. He left from a dead stop in 4th gear . He didn't want to miss a gear heading for the ramp so his mechanic geared the motorcycle that way. I believe he also told me Evel wanted the throttle to turn clockwise and that's my question. I've had some mechanics look at the video online and they agree with me. He appears to be turning it clockwise. Here are the best example of what I'm talking about . Notice when he's doing the wheelies at the Kingdome and also as he heads back to the starting point and revving up the engine after talking to his mechanic , John Hood. The audio is in perfect sync with this video here. I checked it with the master footage I have. Opinion?

·
Super Moderator
4,288 Posts
Perhaps when he is standing up he wants to push forward and downward on the handlebars to prevent the front end from flipping up. I would imagine the throttle moving in the direction shown in the video he can accomplish throttle increase while pressing forward and still maintain balace. Interesting point.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
You can go on the Evel Knievel Entrprises facebook page and find out anything you want to know from people that were VERY close to Evel, and his mechanics that are restoreing his bike's for the traveling exhibit.. also all his mack trucks and see never before seen pics of Evel at home, drinking,his bank vault plus a lot more ...this facebook page kicks ass...and yes I belive that some of his throttles were turned the other way....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He also told me he had a large clutch lever on the left side of his motorcycle for the parachute when he wanted to use it. It was more of a gimmick thing for the Olympia Beer Company . It didn't really slow him down. As ematicic has pointed out I bet it was a balance issue. He also had some really large handlebars on the bike compared to the stock Harley. And he moved the foot-pegs down below the frame . I believe that also was to make the motorcycle easier to handle. Thanks for all of the replies so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can go on the Evel Knievel Entrprises facebook page and find out anything you want to know from people that were VERY close to Evel, and his mechanics that are restoreing his bike's for the traveling exhibit.. also all his mack trucks and see never before seen pics of Evel at home, drinking,his bank vault plus a lot more ...this facebook page kicks ass...and yes I belive that some of his throttles were turned the other way....
I did. They said I was wrong. Roger Reiman was his chief mechanic and he was the one I talked to many years ago. I wish I had recorded it. Roger was killed in Daytona back in 1997. Many on facebook point out that in the movie Evel Knievel with George Hamilton it was a blooper when they showed him turning the throttle clockwise .But he lets go while doing it and then grabs with his left hand and turns in clockwise again. I pointed out the fact that the throttle didn't snap back when he released it . If it was counter clockwise it would have. Instead he lets go of it at idle and then grabs it again with his left hand as he checks the chain and turns it clockwise again. We may never know . The facebook page is good but I've found some mistakes on information they post. Check it out about an hour and 20 minutes in .

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
you got me there...I just know that some of the people on the page were very close to him..I'am a huge Evel fan...Only three kings I know of...1 God..2 Evel...3 Elvis...:laugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't even think anything about it until I had talked to Roger . I went up to see the BMW Battle of the Legends series back in 1997 . Never thought I would see him. He talked about his dealership and then we got on the subject of Evel. This is not the first time I've been told I was wrong. Some of his fans didn't believe me when I told them about how he didn't shift on approaches to jumps but later some did admit to it . I had to point out the Wembley Jump and also Kings Island as good examples. Roger didn't go to England with Evel as far as I know. John Hood did. John didn't know as much about his bike. Roger was a genius when it came to getting his motorcycles ready. John is still alive as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I really think in the first vid that it was a sound lag that made it look clockwise, latter on in the vid looks counterclockwise to me. The second vid was without a doubt all counterclockwise.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Gotta ask ya what you're seeing cause every time he pulls back on the throttle the engine reves up. He did it left handed too in the second video. When he snaps forward or rolls CW the engine decelerates. Right before the anouncer says "he's not hesitating" you see his arm down, pulling back and engine reves up and he jumps. I think that 1970's video is playing tricks on your eyes. The camera is back aways and the sound takes a second to get to you so it looks like he's rolling forward and the bike revs up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta ask ya what you're seeing cause every time he pulls back on the throttle the engine reves up. He did it left handed too in the second video. When he snaps forward or rolls CW the engine decelerates. Right before the anouncer says "he's not hesitating" you see his arm down, pulling back and engine reves up and he jumps. I think that 1970's video is playing tricks on your eyes. The camera is back aways and the sound takes a second to get to you so it looks like he's rolling forward and the bike revs up.
Perhaps but I need to ask some more people. So far it's about 50 50 on this board. The mechanics I show it to say it's a clockwise throttle. And they just don't say this on sound. They look at the way he's twisting the throttle . I don't know. One interesting thing is that I looked at part of the Kings Island Jump when Robbie and Evel are doing wheelies next to each other. The Harley is loud but you can still hear the motorcycle Robbie is riding. He's doing a wheelie and the sound matches his motorcycle perfectly and looks just like when I gas a wheelie. The snap of the wrist etc. At the same time you hear Evel and he's doing a wheelie with the throttle going clockwise . Again the sound matches.

About the Kings Island jump. Evel talks to John Hood and then starts to go back to the start area. You can see him shifting the motorcycle to 4th gear. He turns around and slowly lets go of the clutch when he leaves for the takeoff. He never touches the shift lever again after he takes off. This is what was told to me by Roger. Roger said that the harley had enough power so he could take off from a slow speed in 4th gear and not have to worry about missing a gear. The only thing that could go wrong was that he would stall the motorcycle trying to take off from the start area because it was in 4th gear. But it never happened to him. After looking at his videos I can't find one when he did shift on his XR while approaching the jump.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Interesting.
With be paying attention to this one. I vote counterclockwise though.
His hand it too open when it snaps back up. Whbe moving the throttle I know my hand is closed over it and my wrist moves, but going back up sometimes I will open my hand. This being said, I have never ridden a clockwise throttle bike so what do I know!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I'd have to say standard ccw. If there was a chance you were going to fly over your handlebars, rotating your wrists in a cw fashion. You would not want it to accelerate.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
One of the best toys ever! I had the Rocket Cycle one also. You know the one he was going to jump the Snake River Canyon in! What a lunatic he was!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
One of the best toys ever! I had the Rocket Cycle one also. You know the one he was going to jump the Snake River Canyon in! What a lunatic he was!
I had both also! And a SSP...Loved watching Evel back then. It was great being a kid in the 70's. (Except for when my sister out the tv on the fuggin' brady bunch...:loco)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Bet you can name all five kids names on the Brady bunch???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts