Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy "day after" Thangsgiving to all :p

After dinnner last night my brother had rented and CD movie called "The fastest Indian" based on a true story,It was circa 1962,a bloke from New Zealand,Burt Munro,with the ambition to come to America to the Salt flats and run his 1920 Indian Spirit <1000c.c's??> all out.
The Story was more about his trials and tribulations on getting to America,and the people he met whilst in America who helped him get to the Flats..he forged his own pistons,used a carving knife to form his "racing" tires,got rejected for racing the bike because the inspectors found it and him to be unsafe..but in the end he did race..to a world record of 201.865 MPH!
I think at the end of the movie it said he went back 9 times and still holds the record for his class..just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this movie??:ride

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Yes, a great one. Coincidently, I watched this on an Air New Zealand flight a year ago while returning from business there. Everyone on the plane delighted in it, including me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, a wonderful movie! It makes it better to know that it is true! He was a Very Cool ole Man I am sure!
Is he still alive? Does anyone know?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I like to think there is a little of his spirit in all of us. Dont forget to piss on the lemon tree. Sorry for the late post. I just joined and I am catching up.

·
Registered
42,925 Posts
I have this movie on DVD, HOLY SHIT does it ever sound good on my system when all those guys are doing their speed runs in Bonneville!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the DVD and really like that movie. True about spirits, I think it's some shared by all that ride two wheels.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I think it's on the list of "must own" motorcycle flicks. Saw it on the big screen when it came to Chicago and bought it as soon as it was available thereafter.

"Faster" was another classic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts