Harley Davidson Forums banner

The Fat Bob

19K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  tractorhead 
#1 ·
What a nice piece of work. I wouldnt mind adding this to my stable of bikes (1).
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Car

See less See more
#6 ·
Yea if you look at the specs on the Harley site, They are very similar in weight seat height and length. Maybe thats why I like it. I like those dual headlights. Like Lakedrunk said its not everyones cup of tea. The slots cut out of the exhaust sheild look great and I love the fat front tire.

#5 ·
I like the wheels. I know they are trying to step outside the box with the headlights, but I don't really like them much. I'm sure they could grow on me though. overall I do think it's a nice bike and I wouldn't mind having one either. I still really want a heritage springer though.

#7 ·
I think I might have invented the FatBob, that is, if you assume that all the guys stripping police and Shriner bikes down to their essence weren't already going it decades before.

My first HD was the first year SuperGlide, 1971 Shovelhead, bought in 72, ugly fiberglass body module, front end obviously from a Sportster.

I only had it a few weeks before I launched it off an uphill curve, I was enjoying rolling on 3rd gear full throttle coming out of corners on a curvy road, just farting around, and the throttle cable came loose at the carb on a full throttle roll-on, pushing the wire back that way had no effect, and I wasn't experienced enough to get it around the corner or shut it off, instead I bailed and the bike crashed w/o me, bending the front end.

I shopped around for a front end, since SuperGlide was a new concept, the only option I had was a stripped down police bike front end, wide glide and fat 16" front wheel and tire to match the rear. I also swapped out the jet-Ski body module for a bobbed rear fender, and a solo seat. I absolutely loved it.

#8 ·
Nice! Your Dyna in the front page pic is one sweet machine. I would really like to go with the 130 front on the V but I think I need to go to a 18 inch rim. Now that the Fat Bob has 49mm forks I have been considering swapping the whole front end. Any words of wisdom?

#13 ·
I only have about 50 miles on my FXDF but I have to say that HD hit a home run with the new Dyna frame. The combination of the re-designed frame, good suspension valving, and the fat tires make this the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.

I am astounded at the handling. It is just really hard to believe it is a Pig Twin. It seems much more honest and predictable than my Street Rod was. It certainly could not keep up with a good rider on a VRSCR, but for the riding I do 99% of the time I think this bike will really work out for me.

As far as the headlight goes- it grows on you and fast. It was the one design feature of the bike that I was hesitant on but in the short time (8 hours) I have had the bike (but then again, I have spent every minute of the last 8 hours molesting the bike) I have become quite enamored with the twin headlight.

I DONT like the dirt bike looking front tire and will swap it out with a Metz ASAP.

I ordered a Rinehart 2:1 and associated other Stage 1 stuff and will have it put on next week. I am interested in seeing how the 96 cubes perk up. After owning a VROD it is going to be tough to be satisfied with a weak runner. Hopefully I can get what I want out of the bike without having to resort to much more than some cams and head work.

I am still anxious to see what HD does with the 09 Vrods.

#15 ·
I ordered a Rinehart 2:1 and associated other Stage 1 stuff and will have it put on next week. I am interested in seeing how the 96 cubes perk up. After owning a VROD it is going to be tough to be satisfied with a weak runner. Hopefully I can get what I want out of the bike without having to resort to much more than some cams and head work.
Mike my last bike had a 96" and a six speed trans. It wasn't HD (S&S) but I'm sure it's gotta be close to the same performance, and it certainly wasn't a dog. It was a pretty fast bike, you already know it won't be faster than the V but I honestly think my last bike wouldn't have been left far behind in a race.

#14 ·
Great choice in bikes Mike. As you can see I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. I'm thinking you can get pretty close on the torque numbers to the V. I dont see a need to go 144 mph. I would rather have the torque too.
When I sat on the Fatty it felt just right. I think it's one of the best all around bikes around. Let us know when you mod her please.
What are you thinking HD has in mind for 09 on the V?

#16 ·
What are you thinking HD has in mind for 09 on the V?
Bagger and a much bigger motor.

My take on things is that Harley guys like to bore motors. It is just the way we are. Due to how narrow the cylinder studs are spaced, to go appreciably larger with the current Revolution engine you have to stroke it and that is expensive. I know guys that have waited the better part of a year waiting for a crank. I would not be surprised to see a re-designed engine that will be easier to put a big bore kit in. I also suspect it will be in the high 1300 or maybe even into the 1400 cc range to meet what the Market demands.

I also suspect they will go to a cheaper frame to build. Or at least a different engine mounting design that will allow them (HD) more latitude in bike designs. All VRODs basically look the same due to the demands of the engine mounting.

But I am far from an expert in anything VROD, these are just my opinions and I think I am probably more right than wrong.

#31 ·
I have a '08 Fat Bob and like it.

I am frustrated that I can't find much in the line of aftermarket goods for it. I'l looking at some chrome spoked wheels (Possibly Landmark brand), some leather saddle bags (don't like the look of traditional Dyna saddle bags...looking for something softer like the ones for Softtails), and front controls. Aside from that, I may tweak a few things here and there.

So my big question...how many crossover parts from Softtails to Dynas are there? Right now I'm just drawing up some things and getting ready to take them to a fabricator friend of mine and just make stuff instead of wait.

Anybody have anything to enlighten me on?

Thanks.

#32 ·
Seeing as the Fat Bob can come from the factory with either mids or fronts, the control issue should be moot. As far as the other stuff goes, I understand where you are coming from. The Fat Bob seems to be sorta between the standard Dyna and the Wide Glide when it comes to parts. The ass end is wider and it has the wide trees up front. It will be a year or two and some proven sales before anyone goes out on the limb and gears up to make parts for it.

But the damn thing is all but perfect as is. You gonna make it look like a Heritage Deluxe Special Bag's O Plenty?? :stickpoke

#33 ·
I'm looking at some chrome ..., some leather ..., and front controls. Aside from that, I may tweak a few things here and there.

To each his own, of course, but I keep hearing the guy at the dealership parts counter over 30 years ago telling me, when I was saying about that same thing about my new 75 SuperGlide..... he said
Would'ja like to know what I'd do with that motorcycle if it was mine? RIDE IT! NOTHIN' ELSE.

#35 ·
I went into the Harley Dealer today looking to check out the Nightster but then I sat on the Fat Bob. Oh man I think I am in love.

Now the question is... Is it worth the extra 5k, 150ish more pounds and 12 more torque than the Nightster.

I am trying to decide which bike to get to replace my Ducati Monster which is a cross between a Cruiser and Sports Bike so I have no experience with staight Cruisers.

I do about 60% Freeway and 20% street and 20% Twisties.

#36 ·
I had a Monster (2000), personally didn't like it. Have had a TON of Sporties, really like them, have a Fat Bob, it is the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned upwards of 50 bikes in my 51 years. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.