Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking about needing a more comfortable seat for longer rides with a friend of mine that has more bikes in his garage than many smaller dealerships and more no longer used parts and accesories than eBay.

Nice guy that he was he dropped off at my office a almost unused Sundowner. I installed before I went home for lunch.

Now here is my question. Do all of you guys that love that seat so much have forward controls? Because with mid controls it feels like I'm sitting on the gas tank.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure what bike you have, but I put the sundowner solo on my 07 low rider, and with the mid controls I to felt I was being forced into the tank. Before the new seat, the factory seat didn't do that but it was uncomfortable with only a short time on it. I did put forward controls on it and it made a big difference. Allowed me to stretch out and it seems to have kind of made me sit back on the seat more. Big difference, I can spend hrs. on the bike with no issues. I'm 5'9 and with this seat it is just right. I did the harley seat demo thing and made the right choice. Dealer told me the sundowner is the most popular sold seat from them. My fwd controls were from Kuryaken, not harley. Less money and the quality is really good. I shopped around and eastern perfomance out of Md. were the best price. Just my two cents, hope this helps. No disappoointments in the seat or fwd controls. Good luck...

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I was talking about needing a more comfortable seat for longer rides with a friend of mine that has more bikes in his garage than many smaller dealerships and more no longer used parts and accesories than eBay.

Nice guy that he was he dropped off at my office a almost unused Sundowner. I installed before I went home for lunch.

Now here is my question. Do all of you guys that love that seat so much have forward controls? Because with mid controls it feels like I'm sitting on the gas tank.
I have a Sundowner and I know exactly what your talking and it put my hips too far forward. I went back to the stock seat after installing the 4.5 inch pb risers. I've been looking at the tall boy seat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I only tried one sundowner seat and that was on my buddies Nightster right after he installed it. I didn't like it. He seemed to like it so I didn't care either way. After he put a few miles on it he had it sent out to be modified, but he hasn't gotten it back yet.

To me it felt like I was riding down hill while sitting on the tank. I would like something a little more comfortable for my 2013 FXDC for longer rides, but haven't taken it to the dealer to try seats yet. One thing for certain is I'm not getting a Sundowner.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had the Sundowner originally and it wore me out pretty quickly. Dealership switched out some other HD seats for me and just could not get the right combo. Went w/ Mustang.

·
Banned
681 Posts
When my Low Rider still had mids I fitted the H-D Touring Seat. Similar dimensions to the Sundowner but different shape. I found it very comfortable but still needed forward controls to stop hip pain after 2hours +. with my 30" legs the Touring seat + forward controls + Accutronix Kick-Back Adapters is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sundowner Seat

Well..I'm not vertically challenged and have had the HD MoCo Sundowner Seat for four years with Mid Controls and I find the Sundowner Seat to be very comfortable. I just this week returned from the Redwoods Run in Northern California and several days the ride was well over 300 miles and I was very comfy everyday except when the temps hit 105 in California.

JUST RIDE
GARY

·
Registered
69 Posts
I, too, have the HD Sundowner seat on my Super Glide, and I love it. I am 5' 8", and my bike has mid-controls, but I also have highway pegs so I can stretch my legs out. I have found that it is very comfortable, it did change the sitting position somewhat as opposed to the stock solo seat. Meanwhile, the wife is comfortable on the Sundowner, so she enjoys riding as well. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I, too, have the HD Sundowner seat on my Super Glide, and I love it. I am 5' 8", and my bike has mid-controls, but I also have highway pegs so I can stretch my legs out. I have found that it is very comfortable, it did change the sitting position somewhat as opposed to the stock solo seat. Meanwhile, the wife is comfortable on the Sundowner, so she enjoys riding as well. Good luck on your choice.
Ditto, Super Glide with mid controls and highway pegs and I'm 5'11. This gives me options to move my legs to different positions during long rides. The seat is a huge improvement in comfort for distance riding. I'm on a trip now from Oklahoma to Arizona. No butt discomfort even after 2 hours non-stop riding, unlike the stock seat that I would need to stop every hour due to the aching. It also gives me a little back support which is a plus. My wife too loves the seat when she rides with me (not that often). What is nice is that you can quickly and easily switch out the seat with the stock seat if you are just cruising around or want a different look. I'm very pleased with the Sundowner seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As a Softail rider with forward controls, yeah, I think that is what makes it so comfortable. I think with mid controls it would be awkward unless you have highway pegs like some of the other guys.

·
Airplane Mech
17 Posts
I have a Sundowner Solo seat on my '12 Street Bob with forward controls...love it. I also had the Sundower on my NightRod for years. Both very, very comfortable!

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have it on our wide glide and of course it has forward controls.
I don't care for it much. I am only 5'7" and I have installed the reduced reach adapters for the forwards. Leg wise I'm good but I keep trying to slide back on the seat. My wife doesn't like it either.
Gonna do something else I reckon.

·
Pecos Bill
22 Posts
Had the sundowner on my 2004 lowrider, I'm 30' inseam and it worked fine with mid-controls. Then I added Harley-Davidson forward controls and they didn't fit me. Stretched me out too far and bothered my back. That's just my experience. I also sat on a Sportster with the sundowner seat and mid-controls, and it did feel like I was riding downhill and being shoved into the tank. Didn't care for it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I liked mine for what it was. Took some 10 hour a day trips with no soreness at all. Be sure to replace the two carriage style screws in the back that hold the back mount. They can and will scratch your fender. I replaced the screws with flush mounts which made it safe. A little late. Also, the seat is big enough to put wear on your tank and side covers. They can be buffed out after using.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have an 08 Sporty 1200 with the Sundowner seat and forward controls. I find the seat itself is comfortable however the feeling of being pushed into the tank is one that I don't like nor the riding downhill feeling. Not sure if it is because my height (6') or my weight 220 but this seat is not for me. Looking for possible replacements but I'm also considering an entirely new bike! (The wife would kill me but I would be comfortable riding!)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have one for when my wife rides with me. I actually find it pretty comfortable, with one exception. The 'ridge' that runs around the outer diameter of the seat cuts into my thighs. After 3-4 hours in the saddle my legs start to go numb. But that's usually about the same time as the next gas stop so it works out.

I ride a Deuce, which have the forward controls, and don't notice the 'sliding into the tank' situation.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Tall Boy is the way to go if you're over 6' or so tall. H-D makes some comfortable seats. Unfortunately, most of them don't come standard equip on your new bike. You gotta pay extra. IIRC, the seat (tallboy) for my Dyna was $260.00.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts