Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for over 40 years and in that time I've ridden and owned, Japanese, British, German and American brands. Of all those different bikes I've never come across any that had a sidestand as good and secure as the Harley Jiffy Stand.

I've had parked bikes bumped by cars and watched them fall over as the stand folds up. I've parked lesser bikes on a slope and seen them roll forward and fall as the stand folds up.

Yes, I learned to leave them in gear sometimes, but the point is I've never seen any side stand I think is as good as Harley's locking Jiffy stand.

So, I just did a Harley survey in which they seem to be considering replacing the Jiffy Stand with some undisclosed new stand.

Why would they mess with perfection? Are there Harley riders out there that actually dislike the Jiffy stand?? Other than the name I can find no fault with them. What say you??

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I know many call it a jiffy stand.
Around here we call it a kickstand.
The only reason I can think they would replace it is cost. They found a cheaper alternative. But you can bet the retail price will not reflect the cost change.

And agreed on the design of the stand. Have never seen one fail other then due to Rider error or just plain worn out. = Rider error.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The name right out of the manual "Jiffy Stand":rollin Jiffy Stand, sounds like something on a Vespa or a Cushman
Who at the MoCo thought that was a good idea? the inventer?
If they are going to change something, change the name.
How about:
"FOKS" Foot Operated Kick Stand
"BASS" Bad A$$ Side Stand (yeah I like to fish)
"BAMS" Bad A$$ Motorcycle Stand

Whoever designed it got it right though. I for one hope they don't change a thing about it.

Someone out there has a better name............

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I took that survey too last night. I'm not sure if its a cost saving thing or not. Usually when they are asking you about something in particular, it means that they have already done it.

I've been riding for over 40 years and in that time I've ridden and owned, Japanese, British, German and American brands. Of all those different bikes I've never come across any that had a sidestand as good and secure as the Harley Jiffy Stand.

I've had parked bikes bumped by cars and watched them fall over as the stand folds up. I've parked lesser bikes on a slope and seen them roll forward and fall as the stand folds up.

Yes, I learned to leave them in gear sometimes, but the point is I've never seen any side stand I think is as good as Harley's locking Jiffy stand.

So, I just did a Harley survey in which they seem to be considering replacing the Jiffy Stand with some undisclosed new stand.

Why would they mess with perfection? Are there Harley riders out there that actually dislike the Jiffy stand?? Other than the name I can find no fault with them. What say you??

·
American
28,658 Posts
I don't care what they call as long as it holds up my Harley!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Harley started out using bicycle stands, it was a bicycle frame after all .
As Harleys got bigger and heavier , the bicycle stand would no longer hold them up . Rear under tire stands were tried for a time.Those too did not always work .

When engineers first looked at the then new stand, they said it was a Jiffy,,,, and the name stuck .

Now you know the rest of the story . :grin

·
American
28,658 Posts
If they go to something else they will just offer (and sell) the Jiffy as a Mod. $$

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just took they survey and was very disappointed if they are evening thinking about changing the Jiffy stand. and i guess it will be like the brackets they had to replace on my 14 Road King saddle bags. Cheaper most time means more expensive in the long run

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I hated my Jiffy Stand so I changed it out for this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took the survey also. I for some reason did not know that the jiffy stand locked when the bike weight was on it since it seemed to move a little when pressure was put on the bike. I thinks its a great idea. they should not mess with it.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,781 Posts
I've posted on a few jiffy stand threads and It always makes me nervous that someone is gonna say one gave out and their bike went down.:eek-surprise

Long long time ago and not with a Harley I had a kick/jiffy stand come unglued and bike fell on its side and believe it or not did damage to the freakin motor. I hadn't paid a lot for the bike at the time but some consider it to be somewhat of a classic piece of...... now!:smile

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only comment I can come up with is I love the look on peoples faces that are not familiar with this kickstand , when you put it down and it rolls forward...priceless...:eek-surprise
That was my introduction to the Jiffy stand. When I bought my first Harley the salesman did that to educate me and to get a good laugh. He didn't think I could move that fast. :laughing

As for the Jiffy Stand name, it has been around for a long time. The MoCo had a bike called "The Silent Gray Fellow" at one time. I don't think that would be a popular name these days either.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
About the only thing I can imagine is they're trying to come up with one style that fits all models, know I have a hard time finding and opening the ones on my friends Dyna's.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My guess is like someone already mentioned... They've already decided on something else. Probably something of less quality and cheaper for them to buy or make since that's been the trend. The survey is probably just a thing that they figure if it comes out the way they want they will point to it to support their decision, if it doesn't come out that way (likely won't) they will just throw it in the trash and we will never hear the results. It's not just Harley though. Seems all the major companies are doing this crap with their once great products.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts