Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having nearly every gasket, bearing, and seal in the primary replaced before hauling up the highway to Collision 3, I was pretty confident all was well with the bike. As I was dismounting this morning after the daily coffee and world problem solving session of the local ROBBs (Retired Old Biker Bastards), I happened to look down at a fresh spot of oil on the garage floor. Got down under the bike and sure enough, same place as last time is a drop of oil forming with the same little trails from who knows where bringing it to it's place of succumbing to gravity. It is about time for the daily exodus of mindless maniacs attempting to drive, text, and wreck havoc upon the masses on the South Coast, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to break this good news to the wrench who did the work for me.....looks like he gets to do it again.....on their dime.
Hope this doesn't push me to start looking for a new bike...I just like this one too much to let it go just yet.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It's easy to overfill the trans just slightly. Then when it gets hot, the trans fluid volume expands just enough to pizz on the floor when it's on the jiffy stand. Get your turkey baster and pull a few ounces out of the trans filler hole before you panic.

--

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, didn't think they messed with the tranny, but then, they DID replace that seal, so it makes sense that oil had to be added. I'll give that a quick looksee.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, the repair record only shows 1 qt going into the primary...no mention of adding any to the tranny, but the level is definitely above the normal mark on the dipstick, so looks like you may be right on the mark here.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The trans oil is checked with the bike straight and level, i.e. on your jack. Sometimes I think that we are so overzealous about making sure that the fluids are not low, we have a tendency to go the other way. Remember when adding/filling, it takes longer than you think for the fluid to drain off of the internal pieces of the assembly and settle to its final true level. I would remove a little trans fluid and then leave the bike undisturbed overnight before rechecking it. (Only because you are trying to diagnose a leak)

--if it sounds like I'm speaking from experience, it's because I am. My leak went away, never to return, after I made the above-described adjustment.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ that is built for off road, 35" tires,
lockers front and rear, gears, you name it. It started to leak from
the rear main seal with only 30K on the clock.

The only thing I can do is keep replacing the crappy rear main seal.
Instead, I bought an aluminum pan and placed it under the beast in
the driveway. Let it leak, I'll be having a beer.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a slight leak that I thought was coming from the main seal of the primary case (not the derby cover) based on where it was dripping off my bike onto my garage floor. After many attempts to locate the exact spot of the leak it turned out to by a leak in the clutch cable right at the point the vinyl cable connected to the metal treaded end where it went into the primary casing.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
I usually run Belray or Spectro in the trans , they both have red dye , helps identify where it's leaking from , not normally beneficial until you have a leak.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And it's back even worse. Really coming out now in big ol droplets. Checked the obvious stuff, and it is pointing to inner primary again. Back to the shop...it's their baby.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
And it's back even worse. Really coming out now in big ol droplets. Checked the obvious stuff, and it is pointing to inner primary again. Back to the shop...it's their baby.
How is the leak odyssey going?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is the leak odyssey going?
Had the wrench take a look at it, got diagnosed as the shifter shaft seal going into the tranny, and haven't seen a drop of drip or a drip drop since. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If they have to tear it down again to deal with that seal, Schmidty says there is a double wall seal available through Drag Specialties that works considerably better than the OEM seal.

Might be worth ordering and handing to them when you drop off the bike. It's probably $5 or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Maybe they left something loose and tightened it up, and now pointing at the shifter shaft , I would keep an eye on it, also check your fluid level make sure it is not over filled, had the same leak on my 05 deuce, they said it was from overfilling, told them they did the last 2 services and they replaced it for free.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe they left something loose and tightened it up, and now pointing at the shifter shaft , I would keep an eye on it, also check your fluid level make sure it is not over filled, had the same leak on my 05 deuce, they said it was from overfilling, told them they did the last 2 services and they replaced it for free.
Have been closely monitoring the levels, and so far so good. I read about that seal, and that will be part of any re-teardown, but so far, it is not dripping. I have no clue why it did before and stopped barring the possibility of Harry finding something that needed to be re-torqued from the last repair job.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
My Dyna developed a small leak that came and went, seemingly at will. It was worse on trips (of course, to worry me), then I made a connection that it was also worse when I rode a passenger. I loosened my drive belt a little. The leak stopped and I've not seen a drop of oil in years. I guess bumps and such when loaded, caused enough tension on the shaft & seals to let some oil out?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes sense, Pete. When you put the bike on a lift, the rear wheel sags and the belt tension is no longer tense. Lots of flop in the belt. Loading the passenger area would have the opposite effect. Of course, that makes me glad I shed all of that weight, or I'd be dealing with an overloaded scoot anyway.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
My primary out put shaft seal leaked slightly. Then after a 800+ round trip it stopped. Oil seal Gremlins conspiracy get us back to dealer for repair$...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts