Harley Davidson Forums banner

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Power figures remained vague during the conversation. I did hear, “about half that of a Sportster,” at one point. [the Sportster 883 makes 52 bhp and 52 lb.-ft. of torque]
Are you shittin me??????? hell, a damn mini bike would outrun that damn thing.....A scaled down V-rod motor with no power.....Why???

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hoping this has to do with the fact that this was setup for training, but doesn't bode well for people going it would be a performer.
" Road feel, power development and throttle response could all be likened to a modern Japanese 250, as would the Street 500’s ability to keep up with traffic. There’s just enough hustle to get you through any situation you might encounter in a frantic rush hour commute."

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you shittin me??????? hell, a damn mini bike would outrun that damn thing.....A scaled down V-rod motor with no power.....Why???
Because they art trying to make it as absolutely cheaply as possible while still charging two grand more than a comparable jap bike. If these are for countries where puerile are looking for primary transportation not a luxury I don't know if people will justify a twenty percent higher cost????

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
.....I don't know if people will justify a twenty percent higher cost????
I think they may be counting on name recognition\status symbol a bit to much.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
The bike in question was set up for the MSF course as stated in the early part of the article.

Let's wait to bash the bikes when they make it to real reviewers, and the bikes are tuned and set up for sale, not an MSF course.

In my opinion that article was written as click bait.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
The bike in question was set up for the MSF course as stated in the early part of the article.

Let's wait to bash the bikes when they make it to real reviewers, and the bikes are tuned and set up for sale, not an MSF course.

In my opinion that article was written as click bait.
That may well be the case, but you would think H-D would let that be known and to also let it be known the "for sale bikes" will be tuned differently. First remarks and articals about a slow no power bike ain't gonna be a selling point.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
One thing we`r forgetting in all this. It has been restated, but I`ll do it again.
These bikes seem aimed at the overseas market for one. The beginner for two.
We also do`t know how tunable they are designed to be.
Does HD plan 2 different models of the 2 bikes? Are they already planning a line of aftermarket performance parts?
Will the aftermarket companies jump on the bandwagon with a line of parts?
My :2cents They will wait until they see how they are accepted and sales figures. For right now they are looking to recoup R&D costs.
They have`t been in business for 110 years by making to many mistakes.
Real easy for us armchair quarterbacks to set back and say what they should a, could a, would a done if we were them. But we ain`t.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
One thing we`r forgetting in all this. It has been restated, but I`ll do it again.
These bikes seem aimed at the overseas market for one. The beginner for two.
We also do`t know how tunable they are designed to be.
Does HD plan 2 different models of the 2 bikes? Are they already planning a line of aftermarket performance parts?
Will the aftermarket companies jump on the bandwagon with a line of parts?
My :2cents They will wait until they see how they are accepted and sales figures. For right now they are looking to recoup R&D costs.
They have`t been in business for 110 years by making to many mistakes.
Real easy for us armchair quarterbacks to set back and say what they should a, could a, would a done if we were them. But we ain`t.
I'm thinking they engineered them to be adaptable to many parts already out there as one of there videos leads me to some what believe. Now some model specific parts may be slim to none at first.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
As far as the power goes, do we really put trust in what this dude says someone else said? 1/2 the HP of a Sportster.
I don't believe it.

·
Wayward Son
23,048 Posts
Cycleworld states an "unofficial" 54hp and 44 torque on the 750 and is 80lbs lighter than the 883.
Sounds promising. Lets see what HD and the aftermarket can do with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Actually, that isn't true. Well, not for the North American market, which will be made in Kansas City. My apologies if this has already been addressed.
You are correct sir, the U.S. bikes will be built in Kansas City....:thumb

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm in for an anniversary Sportster! I agree that if the 500 and 750 take off the XL line is dead as a door nail. Harley Davidson's as we know them are on their way out. Federal noise and emission regulation will make sure of that. By the end of the decade everything HD makes will be water cooled and quieter making less pollution. If it were not for the big downturn in the economy I think HD would be deeper into this process than they are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I like them as well... This can be a great commuter bike.

101 - 120 of 163 Posts