1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blindspot overhead view

Do you ride the blind spots?
I don't. I'm afraid to.

I asked this next door and would also like to know what you all think.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Not me. Thats one of the first rules of riding. Speed up or slow down but stay out of the blind spots. :thumb

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Don't ride in the blind spots from choice. But sometimes the traffic is dense enough that you have no choice. Fortunately, this usually also means it is quite slow-moving, which may allow you to keep your time separation.

Also, if you wish to pass, you have to go through the blind spot. You can try and get the driver's attention before you get into it, or you can just speed up to minimize the time you are at risk and blast straight through (aka 'The German Method' :)).

The aim is always to have a minimum 2 seconds empty zone around you. Not always possible, but that's the aim.

The faster you go, the more space you need. The closer you get, the slower you need to be going.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
A tip from a truck driver. If you get far enough over on the left side of the lane we are allways checkin our left mirrors. we are more likly to see u then. You don't have to stay there after that ,we know ur back there and are aware of your presense.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
True that. Most 'truck crushes' in UK are caused by Continental drivers who have their blind spot the wrong side - ie on the right.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A tip from a truck driver. If you get far enough over on the left side of the lane we are allways checkin our left mirrors. we are more likly to see u then. You don't have to stay there after that ,we know ur back there and are aware of your presense.
Your wisdom is appreciated.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
In the UK and a few other countries we drive on the left, a lot of the trucks here have two signs on the back
Right one says OVERTAKERS
Left one says UNDERTAKERS

By law here we can only pass on the right ( that would be left in the US ) unless the vehicle is making a right turn. No turning on a red light either.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As a truck driver let me add another tip..
A lot of big rigs run recap tires on the trailers and drive wheels, although not bad when properly maintained have a tendency to blow off the rim if under inflated as heat becomes a real issue.
Not only will it make you deaf if you are beside one when it blows but will kill you when it hits you at highway speeds.
Try not to ride behind/beside one for a period of time..
Mike

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
A black truck tread laying on a black asphalt road in the dark, 8 inches high and laying across 5 feet of my lane was the reason I decided seriously upgrading lights was a life and death matter. I was really lucky it was laying in such a way it flattened out, some would be so sold and laid out in such a way it would be like hitting a curb.

I've since pulled them off the road, they all weigh 100+ lbs and have metal sticking out of them. It would even mess you up in a car.

It wouldn't be impossible for one to hang up on your foot peg or even your foot. They're deadly dangerous. Be alert to the possibility, especially if you see some smaller rubber chunks and debris on the road, expect the tread to be laying across the road up ahead like a 'gator.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
My thing is truckers know there tires do this and what can happen from it and yet they still run them crappy tires they should ban recaps because of this.I guess it wont happen till someone dies unfortunatly

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
"...it wont happen till someone dies..."
I'm sure people die all the time from truck tire blowouts, sometimes split ring explosions. Maybe not every day, but surely every month, maybe every week.

And I don't believe the casings I have dragged off the road just bristling with steel tread belt cables are recaps, those are the basic tire structures failing.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
And it's gettin worse, a lot of the companies are switchin to the super single's. instead of duals there usins one 24" tire. i have seen these caps in the road and there monsters. And the companies using them most are the tankers. Don,t make sense, you blow a tire and your dead in the water, that's the purpose of duals. when you blow a tire you can continue on to the next truck stop or repair shop.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
My thing is truckers know there tires do this and what can happen from it and yet they still run them crappy tires they should ban recaps because of this.I guess it wont happen till someone dies unfortunatly

There is nothing else I know thats as dangerous as these retreads. How they have DOT approval is beyond me. :soapbox

·
Super Moderator
12,740 Posts
A few years ago, My wife hit one in the mini-van. Took out the oil pan and transmission pan. Sucky first day of a vacation.

About 10 years ago in the rain at night, on I-20 heading into Shreveport, LA, I was too close to trailer (using him to block some rain) and had giant chunk of tire graze the top of my windshield and barely missed me on my old gold wing. Perhaps that was the scariest moment on a bike for me.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
"...that's the purpose of duals. when you blow a tire you can continue on to the next truck stop or repair shop.."
I really suspect that has some bearing in the number of tires coming apart on the road,
I'd say a driver who doesn't have to stop for a flat or a tread separation will not stop,
I'd guess he'll tend to keep driving and let it come apart, without being delayed,
unless it was going to catch on fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another trucker/biker. I've read about studies that show that treads coming off are equally from recaps and new tires, and are caused by underinflation, or simply defects. Even a lazy trucker probably checks tires many times more often than the average driver. So with tires being made and checked by human beings, there are going to be treads on the highways, along with many other kinds of debris. Since we bikers are the ones who suffer when we hit something, it's our responsibility.

About blind spots. There is really no excuse for blind spots on trucks since there are many types of mirrors available to eliminate them. But again, with human beings operating vehicles there are going to be mistakes made. Even my car and bike have "blind spots" if i'm to lazy to move my head a little. Again it's we bikers who suffer when we or anyone else makes a mistake.

Especially at night.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts