Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the second road incident from the Momma video. 10 second video.

It looks like a simple pass - but something is deeply wrong :D

Take a guess, and I'll post the rest tomorrow morning (it's late evening here now).

http://195.206.105.25/incident2.wmv

·
1,078 Posts
I saw that old guy fell of his scooter and was crawling across the road just as you passed that car.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are sharp :D

This incident is about two of the ironclad rules of survival, which many riders regrettably ignore:-

1. Never put yourself in a position where someone can get you when (not if) they do something completely unexpected, and

2. Don't just make a plan and then wait to see if it will be necessary. Adjust your line and pace now, so that you are not there when it happens. If it doesn't happen, you lost nothing.

Here's the video again:-

http://195.206.105.25/incident22.wmv

And the walkthrough:-

We come through the bend............

And pick up the car ahead. He's going slower than we are, so the expectation is that we're going to pass him at some point.

We get up behind him, and now reduce our pace to maintain a 3 second gap while we wait for a passing opportunity.

Now I can see there's a straightaway coming, so I tighten the gap to 2 seconds - the minimum safe separation and check my mirrors - nothing behind us.

Stanley Squid at this point would probably be a half-car behind him, and right in his blind spot.

Round the bend, and I can see clear road, so check the mirrors one more time, signal, and move into the opposite lane to pass.

But.................

As I come up to a car's length behind, his brake lights come on - Yikes !!

At this point, I still have the choice of whether to continue the pass, or whether to hit the brakes, and fall in behind him again.

Checking the road ahead, I see the crittur crossing. He's 100+ yards ahead and has almost reached the side of the road, so I decide to make the pass.

It's a cat, so even if it bolts back into the road, I can still cope with it, but it disappears.

If you notice, you can hear the fluff in the engine note as I get off the throttle even before I make the decision, and then resume accelerating.

It very seldom hurts to slow down, and often preserves or opens up options you might need.

Safely past, and a clear road.

And return to my own lane.

And the video again for anyone who wants to watch it one more time:-

http://195.206.105.25/incident22.wmv

Ride safe.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I feel the biggest danger in that instance would have been the car deciding to swerve to the left in order to avoid hitting the cat.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel the biggest danger in that instance would have been the car deciding to swerve to the left in order to avoid hitting the cat.
Absolutely right.

That's why you hear the engine fluff while I figure out what is my best shot.

At that point, the cat is 100+yards ahead, and already pretty much across the road, so I figure I am good to go.

Actually the safest option would have been to hit the stoppers.

So you are right, and I am Lucky :D

Good Call.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
great thread!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts