Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a set of Road King Custom tins in black for my bike. I have been looking into painting my set but I found these for a great price and I think I have a buyer for mine. It should only cost me a $100 out of pocket and my old tins needed work anyway. So, my next big step is switching them out. I hope it isn't a difficult as it looks but I think I will learn a lot by doing it myself. I have to take the wheels off for new tires anyway so this should be the perfect time. It is going to look like a completely different bike after doing the apes, new saddlebags, etc. I will post some photos of the process and hopefully a completed project soon.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Good for you! That police nacelle should be right at home with black tins.

--

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Looking forward to pics!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good for you! That police nacelle should be right at home with black tins.

--

Yeah, I think I might swap out the chrome head light ring for a black one as well. I am not sure yet. That will be a decision for another day. I just don't want the completely blacked out look. But it might look sharp that way.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Front Fender is a piece of cake. Never done the rear. The tank is a little tougher on your model than the newer bikes, but not that bad at all. You can do it all in a day.

Wish I was there to drink beer and criticize your efforts! :)

Reactions: Jnappier

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely will need someone to make fun of me while doing it. But I don't know if it will be hot enough in my garage. 80 degree weather won't work. I will have to run the heater to get it over 100 in there. Maybe I will wear a snowsuit.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the tins today. They are as advertised. Brand new 06 Road King Custom in black. Now I just need a day off to start the install.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
:thumb

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I definitely will need someone to make fun of me while doing it. But I don't know if it will be hot enough in my garage. 80 degree weather won't work. I will have to run the heater to get it over 100 in there. Maybe I will wear a snowsuit.

I wish you were closer. I love to watch people struggle. I could even yell at you for being stupid too.

Honestly, the rear fender is easier to do with the wheel off, but can be done either way. Front fender is easy. The tank and swapping the innards over will be your biggest hurdle, but is by no means rocket science.

Good luck. We'll need pics. :D

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Wide WW would look great!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have debaffled Vance & Hines black pipes and it sounds like a helicopter if you ride at the right speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1442955813.072881.jpg
Back fender swap is complete. Just waiting on the back tire to come in. They were shipped separate. I hope they are in soon. Next on to the tank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts