Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get my FXDB serviced in England? I will be shipping it over sometime in Jan and I will be there for 4 years. I looked on the Harley site and asked the dealership but go no answers. I've been told not to trust my service to anyone but a dealership but I'm not sure the truth behind the statement.

:thanks

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get my FXDB serviced in England? I will be shipping it over sometime in Jan and I will be there for 4 years. I looked on the Harley site and aked the dealership but go no answers. I've been told not to trust my service to anyone but a dealership but I'm not sure the truth behind the statement.

:thanks
:nah
Bet a Dealer told you that. Plenty here do their own regular service. Basic hand tools, Harley Shop manual. Basic mechanical skills is all that is needed.
Keep your receipts for fluids purchased. It will not void your warranty.

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. I'll pick up a shop manual. I turn wrenches on C-130s for the AF so a Harley shouldn't be outside my abilities.

Thanks Thunder~Struck

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RAF Mildenhal. Just outside of Cambridge in Bury St. Edmund.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I recently joined the H.O.G. and seeing your post it came to mind that you might visit one of the communities over there also for local info. Here is a link for the Bridgewater Chapter at least and I'm sure there are others that will probably be closer to you.

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had not even thought of looking into a H.O.G chapter over there. My noob-ness is showing. I actually just got my card in the mail yesterday so I'll hop on the site and look around. Thanks!

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Black Bear HD in Newmarket.

I used to be stationed just north of Mildenhall, in Lakenheath.
West End Pub in Feltwell. :thumb
Within stumbling distance of the base housing there. :D

·
Banned
681 Posts
Good Afternoon,
Black Bear (owned by Lind US by the way) is the nearest dealership to Cambridge. The next nearest is Sycamore Harley in Uppingham which is about 40 miles to the nor-nor-east. On our little island 40 miles is a relatively long way...
Our dealerships vary in competence as I imagine they do in the USA. Naturally one hears more horror stories than plaudits but that's the way of the world. I never use them if I can help it which is why I can't say whether the above mentioned are good or not. The UK has a smattering of independent Harley shops which are generally cheaper, more flexible and more enthusiatic (about Harleys rather than taking your money). Google.co.uk is your friend. What you won't find here is the wide and plentiful supply of custom parts and accessories that you have over there so stock up before you leave or bribe a friend to be your shipper. You will also find that everything related to Harleys is more expensive than you're used to. As a general rule you cross out the dollar sign and substitute the one for pounds.
In general Harleys are more of a lifestyle accessory than a form of transport over here and consequently the official dealerships tend to pander to the executive weekend warrior types; white leather sofas, polished wooden floors and in-store cafes rather than the oil-stained concrete and well-used workbenches I prefer to see. Having said that a passing official dealer mechanic once saved me from a Sunday morning puncture miles from anywhere which just goes to prove they're not all money-grabbing poseurs.
There are two HOG Chapters in the area. Fenlanders Chapter (fenlandershog.com) and Icene Chapter (icenichapter.co.uk). A visit to a club night would be the best way to find the best place to get your ride spannered (wrenched to you - but you should try to learn our language, the locals appreciate the effort :))
Hope you enjoy our wonderful country. Try to get off the base as much as you can to sample the local delights of warm flat beer, faggots and Indian restaurants.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
Good Afternoon,
Black Bear (owned by Lind US by the way) is the nearest dealership to Cambridge. The next nearest is Sycamore Harley in Uppingham which is about 40 miles to the nor-nor-east. On our little island 40 miles is a relatively long way...
Our dealerships vary in competence as I imagine they do in the USA. Naturally one hears more horror stories than plaudits but that's the way of the world. I never use them if I can help it which is why I can't say whether the above mentioned are good or not. The UK has a smattering of independent Harley shops which are generally cheaper, more flexible and more enthusiatic (about Harleys rather than taking your money). Google.co.uk is your friend. What you won't find here is the wide and plentiful supply of custom parts and accessories that you have over there so stock up before you leave or bribe a friend to be your shipper. You will also find that everything related to Harleys is more expensive than you're used to. As a general rule you cross out the dollar sign and substitute the one for pounds.
In general Harleys are more of a lifestyle accessory than a form of transport over here and consequently the official dealerships tend to pander to the executive weekend warrior types; white leather sofas, polished wooden floors and in-store cafes rather than the oil-stained concrete and well-used workbenches I prefer to see. Having said that a passing official dealer mechanic once saved me from a Sunday morning puncture miles from anywhere which just goes to prove they're not all money-grabbing poseurs.
There are two HOG Chapters in the area. Fenlanders Chapter (fenlandershog.com) and Icene Chapter (icenichapter.co.uk). A visit to a club night would be the best way to find the best place to get your ride spannered (wrenched to you - but you should try to learn our language, the locals appreciate the effort :))
Hope you enjoy our wonderful country. Try to get off the base as much as you can to sample the local delights of warm flat beer, faggots and Indian restaurants.
I was going to mention to him to look you up on the forum. But I figured you would come along a post up.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know Kainam. Base housing has a 6-9m wait so the fam and I are looking for off base housing.

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And thanks for the info oldredog77. I am looking forwad to the trip and excited as heck to ride over there. You guys have hooked me up big time in info about the UK as well as where to get gear and what kind of gear to get. Thanks for everything!!!

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
What you won't find here is the wide and plentiful supply of custom parts and accessories that you have over there so stock up before you leave or bribe a friend to be your shipper. You will also find that everything related to Harleys is more expensive than you're used to. As a general rule you cross out the dollar sign and substitute the one for pounds.
One thing Timmay has an advantage on is shipping from the US.

Most sellers in the US will only charge shipping to NY/NJ. The remainder of the trip is free to APO/AE addresses.

With regards to the money conversion from dollars to pounds, I found that conversion spot on during my time there.... 20 years ago now.

The locals that I rode with were members of HDRGB. May want to check them out as well... Good group of guys when I was there.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
And thanks for the info oldredog77. I am looking forwad to the trip and excited as heck to ride over there. You guys have hooked me up big time in info about the UK as well as where to get gear and what kind of gear to get. Thanks for everything!!!
Just remember left hand side of the road. And train yourself to look right first when pulling out or crossing the street.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Just remember left hand side of the road. And train yourself to look right first when pulling out or crossing the street.
Strangely, I didn't have a problem with what side of the road to ride on when going over to the UK.... It's when I came back to the US that I had a problem....

Whenever I'd make a left turn, I kept wanting to ride on the left side of the road.... :loco

·
Harley FNG
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have to get used to that aspect of riding over there. I'm trying to get as much of my customizing done as I can before I leave but time and funds are shout. I posted a short list of what I wanna do on my thread in the Dyna section.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
They must not do the biker wave over there. You would have to take your hand of the throttle. Or use your left hand and wave up high.:)
Hey Baldrick what say you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts