Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this movie on You Tube. This is the world I come from. This is the world I grew up in. Spent most of my summers at racetracks. Probably have been to most every track in that movie. I remember being at some of the races that are shown. Still love it today.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
My old roommate ran flat track back in the 60's & 70's. Now runs Harley dinosaur class.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I went to those races in 68 & 69. I remember Bart Markel and Gary Nixon. I went to Colubus and Louivllle on my new sportster. Rode from Bloomington IN.

That was 48 years ago. Shit. Thanks for the post !

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My uncle raced flat track, so I grew up at the race track. I remember sitting around in the pits listening to him talk with Ronnie Rall, Bart Markel, George Roeder, and many more. Those guys were my heroes. Still are. Talked to Ronnie Rall, Dave Aldana, and Jay Springsteen at Wauseon, Ohio just last summer.

Ronnie Rall

Dave Aldana and Jay Springsteen

Jay, wife, and dog

He's still fast

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
AW!! Back in the day, warms my heart!!

Had friends that would race flat track at every county fair that carried the event and went to a lot of them to watch. Springfield mile and Peoria illinois tt races were always a blast.

Not only nostalgic with bike races , back in the day every county seemed to have a track, at least in mid-west. You could see some kind of race every day in the summer and everyone and their brother could do it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I still go to these races, and they're still great. Flat track racing is dying however. This year we lost the Indianapolis mile which I see is not on the AMA Pro racing schedule, and the Santa Rosa mile in CA. is gone. The gal at the IMDA ( the people that put on the Springfield Mile twice a year) told me that every year they sell fewer and fewer tickets. There are tons and tons of Harleys at these races and lots of stuff to see. Still, flat track is losing support, even among Harley riders, even though its the only kind of racing where you can see HD compete.
I've talked to lots of people about this and most feel that with the advent of Supercross and other stadium events, motorcycle spectator sports are everywhere, competing for the same dollar. Professional oval track racing may fade away like board track racing and such, but I for one will really miss it. Its a fantastic spectator sport.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2015 AMA Pro Flat Track Schedule:

March 12: DAYTONA Flat Track I, Daytona Beach, Fla.

March 13: DAYTONA Flat Track II, Daytona Beach, Fla.

May 24: Springfield Mile I, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

May 30: Sacramento Mile, Cal Expo Fairgrounds, Sacramento, Calif.

June 20: Hagerstown Half-Mile, Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, Md.

June 27: Lima Half-Mile, Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, Ohio

August 1: Castle Rock TT, Mt. St. Helens Motorcycle Club, Castle Rock, Wash.

August 4: Black Hills Half-Mile, Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, S.D.

August 16: Peoria TT, PMC Race Park, Peoria, Ill.

September 6: Springfield Mile II, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.

October 3: Calistoga Half-Mile, Calistoga Speedway, Calistoga, Calif.

October 10: Flat Track Season Finale, LA County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif.

2015 All Star National Flat Track Series

Steve Nace Racing Promotions

March 6th Oglethorpe Speedway Park Savannah, GA Half Mile

March 8th Volusia Speedway Park Barberville, FL Half Mile

May 22nd Peoria Speedway Peoria, IL Short Track

May 23rd Illinois State Fairgrounds Springfield, IL TT

June 13th Crawford Co. Fairgrounds Bucyrus, OH Half Mile

June 19th Ashland County Fairgrounds Ashland, OH Half Mile

July 4th 93rd Annual Barbara Fritchie Classic Frederick, MD Half Mile

August 5th Sturgis Fairgrounds Sturgis, SD Half Mile

August 15th Spoon River Speedway Lewistown, IL Short Track

September 5th Illinois State Fairgrounds Springfield, IL Short Track

September 26th York Expo Center York, PA Half Mile

^^^^ This is where you'll find me this summer! ;)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I grew up next door to Milan dragway in Michigan. They had, besides drag racing, sand drags, bmx racing, motocross and, a flat track. The bmx track was in the middle (infield) of the flat track. From Thursday night to Monday it was rumbling with the sounds of racers in every form imaginable. Every year the Northern Nationals were held there. Loved living there as a kid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.