Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let it be known. I hate thieves worse than the Devil hates Holy Water! After installing my new lights, it dawned on me how quick someone could steal your high priced lights, detachable wind shield and maybe hard bags. My lights cost only a fraction of HD Day Makers. Which according to the catalog is $1300.00+-. That would be a big hit. Has any body on here had that problem? I'm fortunate to live in a virtually crime free community. None of my cars and trucks are locked, but I do lock the forks on my bike. Half the time I don't even lock my house at night.When I venture out, I try to keep a close eye on my bike.

·
Banned
71 Posts
First off, let it be known. I hate thieves worse than the Devil hates Holy Water! After installing my new lights, it dawned on me how quick someone could steal your high priced lights, detachable wind shield and maybe hard bags. My lights cost only a fraction of HD Day Makers. Which according to the catalog is $1300.00+-. That would be a big hit. Has any body on here had that problem? I'm fortunate to live in a virtually crime free community. None of my cars and trucks are locked, but I do lock the forks on my bike. Half the time I don't even lock my house at night.When I venture out, I try to keep a close eye on my bike.
There is a Thread on here about the hardbags & a fix for them. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
my scoot is garaged when im not riding and when im riding it's with in eye sight and running distance for me witch means with in 50 feet or closer (im slower these days)
But never thought about the wind screen , mine is detachable. Had one guy looking over my scoot from the other side of a truck one day while i was at a burger joint. I promptly walked out there an said dont even think about it. He scurried away. my bags , well there not getting them . they are permanent mounted. You need tools to remove them. i often think about the tool bag on the forks. that would only take a knife to remove.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I've gotten quite vain about all this security stuff. Hell, with a long reach tool and a wedge you can make yourself out of wood you can break into a car in well under a minute and with a set of universal keys you can drive away with it too (or hot wire of course).

Within reason it is good to lock stuff up but imo unless you live it a horrible neighborhood I'll personally take my chances. I can't live like I'm in prison, too much if a pain in the ass and it will stress me out far too much. Maybe I'll change my mind someday but I fear the stronger you lock it up the more force they use to take it which winds up costing you money anyway.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
The slugs who would steal from you have cars and trucks. Like fishermen or hunters, they go where there are plenty of fish or game. Sure, statistically, a lot of locations have very low crime rates. There are a lot of reasons for that - demographics, neighborhood watch programs, good policing, etc.. Still, you should take every effort to protect yourself and your property.

Lock your house and your vehicle. Keep you motorcycle out of sight at the least and locked in a garage or shed if possible. Even though your $700 windshield and hardware may only bring a crack-head $25, that is enough to get him high for an hour or two. Motorcycles and motorcycle accessories are easy targets.

Pete

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Locks and security do not slow down a THIEF! They make the amateurs look for something easier, maybe. Or just bust the hell out of it and leave.

I try to park with in eye sight etc... when ever I travel. But have had lots of people stop and look over bike and trailer, when hooked. I like to look at other bikes also see what's be done to make them nicer. I keep a decent distance when looking.

Only 1 time, that I know about, did I have a Asian family sitting on bike (Heritage no alarm) taking pictures and crawling all over it when I looked out to check it. Needless to say a conversation was had. I was somewhat polite (for me anyways, I think) they were a little shaken.

I lock the house to protect my dogs. Several years ago one of the Rotties had bitten 8 times when people had walked in (all understood the mistake and no issues were had). Door always been open until we got him. 2 of the dogs here now really like their deal and will protect it. I don't need someone trying to sue me or have my dog/s put down.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Locks and security do not slow down a THIEF! They make the amateurs look for something easier, maybe. Or just bust the hell out of it and leave.

I try to park with in eye sight etc... when ever I travel. But have had lots of people stop and look over bike and trailer, when hooked. I like to look at other bikes also see what's be done to make them nicer. I keep a decent distance when looking.

Only 1 time, that I know about, did I have a Asian family sitting on bike (Heritage no alarm) taking pictures and crawling all over it when I looked out to check it. Needless to say a conversation was had. I was somewhat polite (for me anyways, I think) they were a little shaken.

I lock the house to protect my dogs. Several years ago one of the Rotties had bitten 8 times when people had walked in (all understood the mistake and no issues were had). Door always been open until we got him. 2 of the dogs here now really like their deal and will protect it. I don't need someone trying to sue me or have my dog/s put down.
If my Pup bites you, you have more problems than a Lawyer can get you out of . :spank:

Locked gates, locked entry doors, and a pup who is very fond of his Mistress . Hell he won't even let me come close to her if I'm pissed off . He's a goodboy . :)

:biker:

·
Registered
710 Posts
If they want it bad enough their gonna get it and a pro wont take a single item its usually the whole bike. Its the tweakers that take the easy stuff and it should be legal to put a hole in em or even be sporting about it and hunt em down.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
On long rides I put my wheel lock on rear wheel. Hard get at with bags on. Been considering using it more if I cant see bike. Gang bangers are ruining this city.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,480 Posts
Garage when at home, on the road, I have almost always been offered the privilege of parking by the entrance of motels where the bike could be seen by security and the night manager. Although that's not perfect, it does help...at least peace of mind. I always try to park at road stops where I can see the bike in case someone wants to admire it up close and personal like. If necessary at night, the side bags are easy to remove and keep stored in the room with me.

·
Banned
71 Posts
On long rides I put my wheel lock on rear wheel. Hard get at with bags on. Been considering using it more if I cant see bike. Gang bangers are ruining this city.
Wheel locks are ok, locking cable is easier to use and works better . :)

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Wheel locks are ok, locking cable is easier to use and works better . :)
I made one, for our jackets and helmets. :thumbsup

·
Banned
71 Posts
Even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while .
I'm glad I was of help. :)

:biker:

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Friend of mine back in the 80's worked as a janitor and had his bike parked in the middle of a empty parking lot and looking out third floor window he was able to see a guy jacking his scoot and called cops and lucky for him cops caught the guy...after he crashed few blocks away...theif used screwdriver and vice grips to unlock forks and ignition

Back in early 90's had gsxr 1100 and was staying with girlfriend who lived in apartment building with some of her windows facing toward the grassy area where I parked the gsxr, while looking out there I notice three guys looking around corner of nearby garage at my bike, one of them made a few walk by's to check it out.

Side story..buddy of mine made these small bombs..LOL plastic ball that looked like ping pong ball but little bit bigger.:)
When the three of them started walking up to my bike with some tools in hand I threw the lit ping pong ball on steriods out the window it made a small crater in ground and in seconds dozens of people and cops all over the place.:eek

Then I was worried about getting in trouble :laugh

·
Registered
844 Posts
part of the problem with this country is that if you try to protect your property, you are the one that gets into more trouble than the thief.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts