Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That makes you say, no, I'm not riding. What is it?

For me big one is if I'm just too darn tired and another is if I just have a feeling that I shouldn't.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Those both work for me plus, if my bad shoulder is bothering me.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Rode about 3 miles this summer.
After I got home I thought "Maby I should`nt have done that"
Stinking Back:confused:
Guess I`ll just stay home on the couch and listen to em when they cross the bridge.:ride:ride:ride

·
Super Moderator
12,915 Posts
Not usually. Only when both bikes are broke... like now. OR extreme weather... ice storm comes to mind.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Bad road conditions are where I draw the line, but admittedly I sometimes go on a ride when I have many distractions bouncing between the ears and I probably should think twice about doing this.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Rode about 3 miles this summer.
After I got home I thought "Maby I should`nt have done that"
Stinking Back:confused:
Guess I`ll just stay home on the couch and listen to em when they cross the bridge.:ride:ride:ride

That just sucks. My Husband and I both got our liscense. We both wanted to ride. But shortly after the class, my Husband told me that he needed another back operation and he did. Two actually. He can not ride anything anymore. But - since he saw the smile and twinkle in my eye when I rode that bike - he did not want me to stop. So I am sorry to hear that.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
Bad weathers the only thing that stops me. I don't like leaving home in the rain ,but sometimes theres no option.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Ice and snow will keep me inside the cage. Any temp below 30f will keep me off the bike too.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I use 40° as my lower limit cutoff anymore, but I did ride to work once this week at 28° so I guess I would have to say it varies from day to day.

A note for those of you who never ride in the rain: Do it once in awhile. It is a skill that you can practice near home on streets and roads you know under circumstances that you can control.

That way you won't be forced to learn how in a strange city (or some country road) far from home when you have no choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dinero....excellent point on riding in the rain.
I won't ride after a couple of drinks.
Twenty years ago a friend of mine was riding home after an night at the local bar. He thought he'd be funny and while riding through a construction zone he'd kick over the big rubber safety pylons. Worked great until be got to the last one which turned out to be a concrete barrier. OUCH. One broken leg and one totaled bike later, he doesn't do that anymore. VERY FOOLISH!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I snuck out two days ago at 39 degrees in the sun. 15 miles away it was 18 degrees in soupy cold low hanging clouds. :eek: I soldiered on with a grin for the destination was only three more miles away. I must be on the fringe for I would do it again despite the looks from everyone in their heated cages.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
For me it's ice. I live on a hill that requires about three turns, so even in a cage it's not easy.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
That just sucks. My Husband and I both got our liscense. We both wanted to ride. But shortly after the class, my Husband told me that he needed another back operation and he did. Two actually. He can not ride anything anymore. But - since he saw the smile and twinkle in my eye when I rode that bike - he did not want me to stop. So I am sorry to hear that.
Thank You and I do feel Your pain.
The wife wants to go for a ride but She also understands that for now it can`t be done.
The Dr. could`nt guarantee how an operation would come out so for now that is not an option or a chance that i would want to take.
I have a friend that is laid off for the winter and He is willing to pack the icefishing gear and there is an excellent reservoir about 70 miles away that i think will be getting a lot of action from the two of us.
did I ever mention "I like ice" :rofl::rofl::D
What the heck,if it`s gonna be cold might as well make the best of it.:D

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use 40° as my lower limit cutoff anymore, but I did ride to work once this week at 28° so I guess I would have to say it varies from day to day.

A note for those of you who never ride in the rain: Do it once in awhile. It is a skill that you can practice near home on streets and roads you know under circumstances that you can control.

That way you won't be forced to learn how in a strange city (or some country road) far from home when you have no choice.
We took 80% of the Learn to Ride course in pelting rain. There were times when we had to go off range it was so bad. Funny thing is that did not do it for me, I still do not like riding in rain. But, you make me remember that the last time I got caught in a downpour it was very close to home. It was a much easier ride, mentally speaking, only because I knew the garage was not too far away.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I must be a wussy. I can't say I've ever left home in the rain.

Cold is another thing, it's a technical problem to be solved, how to layer for the cold.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Dinero, you made a good point. I hav'nt rode my bike in the rain yet. I guess it's time i started. I also will not git on it if i've been drinkin.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
a sip of alcohol, rain, and cold (I'm a sissy...cold is below 50*)

I have only ridden in the rain once - middle of the summer in the south and it was a random rain. Hurts going 70 mph and having the rain pelt sunburned arms!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
A note for those of you who never ride in the rain:
A good thing to remember, if it starts raining while you are out riding and it hasn't rained in a long while, because of accumulated road film, it could get slicker than ice in just a few seconds. I'd pull off the road immediately and let the cars scrub the film off the road before riding again.

I once got out of the car in a 7-11 parking lot a few seconds after it started to rain and could hardly walk, the pavement was so slick. If a bike had tried to pull in there I think it would have gone down immediately.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Dinero, you made a good point. I hav'nt rode my bike in the rain yet. I guess it's time i started. I also will not git on it if i've been drinkin.
But today ,it's just a plain ole tire with a nail in it. :pull

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
..it's just a plain ole tire with a nail in it.
I got one of them too. Rear of the LowRider.

I won't pay to have somebody replace it, but it sure was a bitch to do myself last time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts