Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2003 Ultra classic and have spent the last month trying to chase down an electrical short.
It started when i lost my stator on my way to work. I bought a new stator and spent the afternoon replacing it. What i didn't do was check the electrical system for shorts before hooking up the new stator. I fired it up and fried the new stator.
I disconnected the stator and voltage regulator from the rest of the electrical system and connected two batteries in parallel (one in my side bag with two wires joining the two) so i could make it to work. Its a 150mi. round trip to work so i disconnected my headlight, tail light, and radio to conserve on power and could make it one way on two batteries. The way home was more difficult as its 11pm so i have to remove bat wing and hook up headlight, tail light etc.. I barely made it home and rode like that for over a week.
So i was reading 12v from the disconnected negative wire to the negative terminal on the battery which is a short somewhere so i began to try to isolate it by putting a test light on it and began pulling fuses one at a time to try to point me in the general direction i should start looking. I pulled all fuses and was still showing 12v i pulled every connector and was still reading 12 v. i pulled apart the entire bike in three nights and still showing 12v.
So i ordered a whole new wiring harness for the entire bike and installed it. I put everything back together and guess what... still showing 12v. So i pulled the connector out of the ecu and the short went away.
Not knowing anything about the ecu i had to suck it up and bring my bike down to a local shop (which i cant afford to do) and he said he would trouble shoot the bike and he would have my problem solved by the end of the day. Nope. So out the door i went. He tried to tell me that its normal to see 12 v with the ignition in the off position. I'm not an expert so i said well maybe he's right.
I got the bike home tonight and was hooking up the battery and im seeing sparks when i hook up the negative terminal and i still think that aint right. I'm not hooking up another brand new stator and voltage regulator to see them go up in smoke again. If someone has any ideas before i roll this thing off a cliff i would appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Retired citizen
24,346 Posts
There's supposed to be B+ between the negative cable and the negative terminal. That's the way to test mA draw with the ignition off. Typical draw is 10 - 20 mA, without B+ there will be zero draw.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Stop your experimental testing if you don`t know how to troubleshoot a DC system.

Set your multimeter to read milliamps.

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

Touch one probe to the battery post, the other probe to the disconnected end of the battery cable.

How many milliamps does the meter read?

·
Asylum Inmate
12,498 Posts
One and done...
Probably realized after the third stator that he was to phucking dumb to work on electrics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sardonicus87
1 - 5 of 5 Posts