Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come I can buy a new car for less than a new Ultra?

How come the warranty on the new car is for 100,000 miles and for the Ultra I am on my own after 2 years?

How come I can have the oil changed in my car for $25.00 and it costs over a hundred (HD) to get it changed on the Ultra?

How come my car manual says to change oil at 6000 miles and for the Ultra it says 4000 miles?

How come at the auto dealership they don't have a clothing department with clothes that have a 300 % markup?

How come when I buy a new car they don't try and sell me a new set of mufflers, fuel management device, seat and some chrome for the engine... before I even take it home?

How come when I buy a new car that they finance if for 5% and with the Ultra it costs 12.5%?

How come when I buy a new car they tell me that I don't need to bring it back unless something breaks and with the Ultra the salesman takes me aside and says it will self destruct if I don't bring it back to the dealership at 1000, 4000 and 10,000 miles?

How come the labor rate at the new car dealer is $45.00 hour and at the HD dealer the rate is $88.00 hour?

How come I can wear any clothing I want when I drive my car but when I drive my Ultra I have to be wearing a $25.00 T-shirt that says Harley Davidson on the front and back?

How come I pay dearly for the privilege of advertising for Harley Davidson in the first place?

How come when I shop for a new car, nobody knows or cares when the new models will come in? At the HD shop the phones start ringing off the hook around the middle of July each year?

How come I can put a new muffler on my car for $50.00 and it costs at least $400.00 to do the same on my Harley?

How come I can order a new car from the manufacturer and get it just the way I want it...from the factory? At the HD shop if we want extras we throw out the brand new parts and pay out the ying yang to get more new parts that we could not order with the bike from the factory?

How come oil for my car costs $1.89 quart and for the Harley I pay $9.00 quart and it has to be "synthetic"?

How come when I go to the auto dealership there are no parts hanging on the walls and when I go to the HD shop they have at least two walls full of parts and at least one or two people hawking the merits of such?

How come when I buy a new car tire it costs only $75.00 and when I buy a new tire for the Ultra it costs $250.00 plus I pay the guy another $100.00 to change it?

How come when I buy a new car they don't take me aside and say "Ya know, this car runs awful hot, you really need to add new mufflers, a new air cleaner and a fuel management device to make the fuel injection system run like it should? And, bye the way that will set you back at least another grand"?

How come my new fuel injected car doesn't seem to have any problems at all with "running too lean from the factory"?

These are all things that make me say "Hmmmmm".

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Buttercream or chocolate?

Just have some :cake and you'll be fine ;)

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Like a dog. Because they can!

I feel like buttercream today. Cut me a nice slab please.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Good questions texaswhiz. Answers probably can be traced to...

- The car business is more competitive
- We dig deep, and aren't very logical when it comes to things we want versus need

:borg

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts

what kind of car are we talking about here ? i know mine cost more than an ultra

How come the warranty on the new car is for 100,000 miles and for the Ultra I am on my own after 2 years?

my car came with 4 years.. 48,000

How come I can have the oil changed in my car for $25.00 and it costs over a hundred (HD) to get it changed on the Ultra?

you can remedy this by learning to do it yourself

How come my car manual says to change oil at 6000 miles and for the Ultra it says 4000 miles?

you can go median and do it at 5K.. depends on the oil you use.. my car manual says 5K .. my bike says 5K

How come at the auto dealership they don't have a clothing department with clothes that have a 300 % markup?

my car dealer has a clothing line

How come when I buy a new car they don't try and sell me a new set of mufflers, fuel management device, seat and some chrome for the engine... before I even take it home?

mine didnt try to sell me that stuff but they did try to sell me other stuff

How come when I buy a new car that they finance if for 5% and with the Ultra it costs 12.5%?

i would like to know where i can finance a car for 5%

How come when I buy a new car they tell me that I don't need to bring it back unless something breaks and with the Ultra the salesman takes me aside and says it will self destruct if I don't bring it back to the dealership at 1000, 4000 and 10,000 miles?

cars have routine maintainance as well as bikes.. if you choose not to do yours that is on you

How come the labor rate at the new car dealer is $45.00 hour and at the HD dealer the rate is $88.00 hour?

my dealers (bike and car) charge about the same

How come I can wear any clothing I want when I drive my car but when I drive my Ultra I have to be wearing a $25.00 T-shirt that says Harley Davidson on the front and back?

who says you have to wear an HD shirt.. if you buy into that then that is on you

How come I pay dearly for the privilege of advertising for Harley Davidson in the first place?

cause that is what you choose to do .. no one is making you

How come when I shop for a new car, nobody knows or cares when the new models will come in? At the HD shop the phones start ringing off the hook around the middle of July each year?

there are people that do care what comes out

How come I can put a new muffler on my car for $50.00 and it costs at least $400.00 to do the same on my Harley?

mufflers for my car do not cost 50 bucks.. i paid more for my car exhaust system than i did for my bike one

How come I can order a new car from the manufacturer and get it just the way I want it...from the factory? At the HD shop if we want extras we throw out the brand new parts and pay out the ying yang to get more new parts that we could not order with the bike from the factory?

bikes have to pass EPA tests as do cars.. what you spend on modding either is up to you

How come oil for my car costs $1.89 quart and for the Harley I pay $9.00 quart and it has to be "synthetic"?

i wouldnt put 1.89 oil in my car .. why would i do it for my bike.. and i dont pay 9 a quart for my bike oil..i pay aobut the same they are with in pennies of each other

How come when I go to the auto dealership there are no parts hanging on the walls and when I go to the HD shop they have at least two walls full of parts and at least one or two people hawking the merits of such?

there isnt a parts section at my dealer but there is an accessories section.. and they try to sell you

How come when I buy a new car tire it costs only $75.00 and when I buy a new tire for the Ultra it costs $250.00 plus I pay the guy another $100.00 to change it?

i would love to know where you get car tires for 75 bucks that are worth a damn..

How come when I buy a new car they don't take me aside and say "Ya know, this car runs awful hot, you really need to add new mufflers, a new air cleaner and a fuel management device to make the fuel injection system run like it should? And, bye the way that will set you back at least another grand"?

again EPA on bikes.. i didnt have to do this with my car

How come my new fuel injected car doesn't seem to have any problems at all with "running too lean from the factory"?

again with the EPA

now if you have the money to buy a harley .. and you love it .. what does it matter.. you should have also asked why do a set of 4 rims for a car cost less than two for your bike.. if you wanna go on with ponderables..

the bottom line is.. you have a bike.. be happy to have it ... there are alot of ppl in this country at the moment that cant afford the car they have let alone have a "toy"

·
H-D Technician
32 Posts

Would that "car" be a Yukon XL? Because, to me, that's what I'd be comparing to the Ultra.

What does your 100,000 mile warranty cover? On my truck, it only covered the power train. "Bumper to bumper" expired at 36,000 miles. I was also presented an option for additional coverage when I financed my bike.

I'd be truly impressed by a dealership that charged a mere $25.00 for an oil change. Have you considered shopping privately-owned bike shops?

My truck says to change the oil every 3,000 miles. It really depends on what kind of oil your using, the load you're putting on your engine, the tune of your engine, the conditions of your environment… I could go on.

You've never seen anyone wearing a Chevy ball cap or a Ford Racing Team jacket?

I've only bought one bike, but I can't recall any pressure for extra goodies from my dealer (though now I wish I could have thrown in a Thunderheader). I simply told him I wanted to keep my payments as low as possible while getting what I wanted.

To get my APR to 9.99%, I put the bike under my name, as well as my wife's.

My truck calls for "dealership service" every 25,000 miles. If you believe your bike's going to self destruct, I've got some ocean-front property in Arizona.

Are you limited to just one dealer? I know it sounds like a weird question, but we've got three (technically four) here in Phoenix, and each one charges different rates.

I don't know about any H-D shirts, but I didn't hesitate to spend money on leather and a helmet. Your flesh is much less likely to contact pavement in an enclosed, four-wheeled automobile. Ask your trauma center: stupid hurts.

Same in any industry. If you ever get the chance, you should visit one of the two Beretta galleries here in the US (Dallas, TX and New York City, NY). I was worried I might have had to pay to even look at their clothes!

I'm on GMC's website all the time, and I hounded Frank Brown (until I found out how ridiculous they are) about the Hybrid Sierra. If someone chooses to be uninformed, what can you do?

Have you priced a performance automotive exhaust like Flowmaster, Inc.?

Well, I wouldn't know about that. I bought my truck used. You get what you can afford, I guess.

In my experience, motorcycle oil, no matter if it's synthetic or not is more expensive than automotive oil. To my knowledge, this is due in part to automotive oil being produced in huge quantities, whereas motorcycle oil production is much more limited. Also, a motorcycle oil has a unique application to automotive oil: wet clutches. I would most strongly suggest against putting two dollar oil in anything important to you. You absolutely do not have to use synthetic, but it is recommended because it seals better, and uses less additives than "conventional" oil because as the cliché goes, it was "designed" for your engine, not "refined." I buy it (both literally and figuratively).

Again, you clearly haven't seen the parts section at Frank Brown in Lubbock, TX. There's tool boxes, headache racks, rail guards, steps, exhaust tips, and more. It's not just a wall, or even two: it's a whole department with it's own room annexed to the service department.

The best deal I got on Goodyears for my truck was $600 for four tires. If you want to buy sub-ply tires for your car at Walmart, be my guest, but I don't.

Who said your bike "runs hot?" Was it moving when they made this judgement? I'll bet you a dollar your bike runs fine (save a 110" CVO - so I've heard) from the factory. If you told someone you want more noise, more acceleration, more top speed, or whatever, then they're right. But, keep in mind, your bike comes from the factory built for longevity. If you start changing things, even something as seemingly harmless as a new horn or LED lights, you stand a good chance of decreasing this.

Still, this is just my experience, but I was told the opposite: that they come rich from the factory - richer than stoichiometric - because it keeps your engine cooler, which increases longevity of parts, and that leanness would have to come "aftermarket." EPA constraints in general are getting leaner and leaner, but the efficiency of fuel injected can accommodate these constraints no problem. At least, that's my understanding.

Truly, I don't mean to sound mean or condescending at all - by anything I've said - but it sounds like someone really pissed in your morning coffee. I know I love that no matter where I go on my bike, I'm going to turn heads, that I love being surrounded by the wind, leaning into turns, and generally doing what most vehicles use four to eight cylinders to do, but with the use of only two, and I gladly pay the price for those liberties. Call me a sucker, but that's my two cents.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts

·
Registered
40,808 Posts
Hey Kainam do any of these cars come with a shoe horn so I can fit my beach ball shaped butt into them?
Get the convertible and just jump over the door. :thumb

<shrug> I have an '01 Cobra, don't have any problems getting in the car. I'm not all that skinny either. :confused:

Rented the Pontiac G6 GXP for about 6 months in Commiefornia. Im not big on 4 doors, but for a 4 door it was pretty nice.

:goob

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Me jump? :rollin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts