Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While moving from Fort Hood up to Dallas I had my saddlebags closed, but not locked. They were stuffed with clothes, paperwork, and all other kinds of crap associated with moving... to include my son's bicycle tied up on top of the tour pak.

After gassing up in Italy, Texas it was about 80 miles to my final deatination. The first 75 Niles were great until I was on the Dallas North Tollway. I went to hit my rear brakes for the first time since gassing up and what to ya know? The pedal goes to the floorboard and after a few pumps there was pressure again, but no brake power. I said what the hell... at least it's only five more miles... I get home and find out that 1. My right saddlebag is open and I lost a shirt, a pair of jeans and my gym shorts. Then I notice something very stinky... look at my rear wheel and my blue gym shorts sucked into the rear brake system. They got so hot it melted, covered my rotor in molten nylon, and are stuck...

I get the bike to a shop two days later and figure everything out... dropped the rear wheel and find that the gym shorts melted and perfectly molded to the caliper and rotor. Pulled everything apart, clean the pads and rotor. Put it all back together and it's all good to go!

If it had been the shirt or the denim jeans I would have had bigger issues than no rear brakes.

Things I learned... KEEP BAGS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES!

What are some things you have learned?

Attachments

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,965 Posts
Agree about locking the bags. Had a semi pull up along side of me and jake brake to get my attention. Had a gal passenger pointing at my right bag. Top was open and who knows how long it had been that way. Could have lost a lot of tools, a laptop, and a bottle of single malt that was there.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Yep, something about the dang latches. On more than one occasion I've had a car pass me on the slab and honk & point and, sure enough, one of my bags would be open. I know they were latched all the way but I believe one good hard bump makes them unlatch and then blow open. Now--they always get locked after I close them.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I have had mine pop open a couple of times. Need to remember to lock them.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Yep, ya gotta watch your shorts these days. :laughing

·
Former Lurker
3,612 Posts
After all of the postings about bag theft, I am very careful to keep mine locked.

I must admit good sir, that I am impressed with your packing skills.
I thought I was badass when I would tie a 40lb bag of dog food to the bike in the passenger place and bring home a large pizza in the tourpack.
My hat is off to you!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thats happened to me more than once, only thing I lost was a helmet bag for my new Harley helmet and that really pizzed me off cause the bag was cool !:pull

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
After all of the postings about bag theft, I am very careful to keep mine locked.

I thought I was badass when I would tie a 40lb bag of dog food to the bike in the passenger place and bring home a large pizza in the tourpack.
My hat is off to you!!
Try hitting a drive through. Burger, fries, and a large drink between your legs. Not spill a drop.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
I don't know where you guys ride but in NY no one will tell you if your saddlebag you find out the hard way when you get to your destination. I'm happy I have the auto lock button on the limited now right before I leave I hit the lock button and off I go. The wife is a good help bc she puts her purse in the tourpack and also ask if I lock it.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I cheat. Only ever had soft bags. Went leather on the 98 FLH Standard I had.
Not hard to remember when the straps are hanging right there in front of you.
Ol skool has it`s advantages.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

My hat is off to you!!
Mine are locked when it is parked, but had to open them up at the gas station to grab something out and forgot to lock it when I closed it back up... just latched, which would normally be fine, but I did have it stuffed!

·
Administrator
13,269 Posts
Carrying that bike is AWESOME.

Welcome neighbor! You'll have to check the North Texas Crew thread and meet up with us.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,786 Posts
Then I notice something very stinky... look at my rear wheel and my blue gym shorts sucked into the rear brake system. They got so hot it melted, covered my rotor in molten nylon, and are stuck...
Is that kinda like the term...panties in a wad..LOL

Carrying that bike is AWESOME.
I woulde've good a good chuckle seeing that go down the road..hey I've packed bags of dog food like someone else mentioned.

Things you learn the hard way..

I'm glad most of that learning came for me many many years ago but every now and then you can find yourself learning the hard way.
O.K just one of many..
Like the time I decided to drain any moisture/water from old big rusty air compressor that had not been drained in five years...at least, it had a large square plug in the bottom.

I found out the hard way that its probably a good idea not to leave 175-180 lbs of air pressure when removing the plug... and compressor now has a pet-cock style drain.

any you've got, might be informative...might just be funny.

:grin

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
While moving from Fort Hood up to Dallas I had my saddlebags closed, but not locked. They were stuffed with clothes, paperwork, and all other kinds of crap associated with moving... to include my son's bicycle tied up on top of the tour pak.

After gassing up in Italy, Texas it was about 80 miles to my final deatination. The first 75 Niles were great until I was on the Dallas North Tollway. I went to hit my rear brakes for the first time since gassing up and what to ya know? The pedal goes to the floorboard and after a few pumps there was pressure again, but no brake power. I said what the hell... at least it's only five more miles... I get home and find out that 1. My right saddlebag is open and I lost a shirt, a pair of jeans and my gym shorts. Then I notice something very stinky... look at my rear wheel and my blue gym shorts sucked into the rear brake system. They got so hot it melted, covered my rotor in molten nylon, and are stuck...

I get the bike to a shop two days later and figure everything out... dropped the rear wheel and find that the gym shorts melted and perfectly molded to the caliper and rotor. Pulled everything apart, clean the pads and rotor. Put it all back together and it's all good to go!

If it had been the shirt or the denim jeans I would have had bigger issues than no rear brakes.

Things I learned... KEEP BAGS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES!

What are some things you have learned?

Hey! I'm in Mesquite Tx!

I learned that you don't open a can of coke on your bike's cupholder when your stuck in traffic, it makes a damn mess!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
As a new rider in the 1970's, I got lucky many times. (No, not that kind of lucky.) One thing that I quickly learned (without going down) was that shoe laces and foot pegs do not always play nicely together. Coming to a stop only to discover that one's foot is tied to the footpeg will cure a good buzz pretty quickly.

allen

·
Administrator
13,269 Posts
Hey! I'm in Mesquite Tx!

I learned that you don't open a can of coke on your bike's cupholder when your stuck in traffic, it makes a damn mess!!!
I learned that with coffee once.

Mesquite? Down here to stay or visiting?

·
Former Lurker
3,612 Posts
Try hitting a drive through. Burger, fries, and a large drink between your legs. Not spill a drop.
I never did the coke, but in the old days on bikes w\out bags I used to go through the drive and stuff a ton of takeout under the front of my shirt and half ass tuck it in...

·
Former Lurker
3,612 Posts
As for stuff learned the hard way, this is a lesson I watched a kid at the cabinet shop learn...

We got a fridge from a job we did, newer than what we had in the shop. It needed to have one of the top door hinges re-mounted to the top of the cabinet.
Being a cabinet shop he decided to use a piece of plywood.
He was too lazy to go get normal size drill and bit to pre-drill the holes. We were used to using self tapping wood screws to mount cabinets.
SOOO, he grabbed a giant hammer drill and put a screw tip in it.
The block of wood he was about to mount on top of the fridge was about eye level.
He started the screw in the wood and then pressed down real hard and let the drill rip. (thinking it would drive the screw right in.)

The screw went through the wood, skated on the metal fridge top and started spinning the plywood block like high speed top. It spun around and whacked him in the nose and sent him flying across the shop. He hit a wall of shelves with a bunch of scrap wood on it which then came down on top of him.
It knocked him out for about 30 seconds...
He was/is a good friend, but it happened so hard and fast... I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pass out...
I guess you had to be there...

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I never did the coke, but in the old days on bikes w\out bags I used to go through the drive and stuff a ton of takeout under the front of my shirt and half ass tuck it in...
Your probably better off for not having tried. I was not always successful. :(
Try explaining a wet sticky crotch to your better half upon return.
And besides. That stuff is cold. :laugh

·
Registered
864 Posts
As for stuff learned the hard way, this is a lesson I watched a kid at the cabinet shop learn...

We got a fridge from a job we did, newer than what we had in the shop. It needed to have one of the top door hinges re-mounted to the top of the cabinet.
Being a cabinet shop he decided to use a piece of plywood.
He was too lazy to go get normal size drill and bit to pre-drill the holes. We were used to using self tapping wood screws to mount cabinets.
SOOO, he grabbed a giant hammer drill and put a screw tip in it.
The block of wood he was about to mount on top of the fridge was about eye level.
He started the screw in the wood and then pressed down real hard and let the drill rip. (thinking it would drive the screw right in.)

The screw went through the wood, skated on the metal fridge top and started spinning the plywood block like high speed top. It spun around and whacked him in the nose and sent him flying across the shop. He hit a wall of shelves with a bunch of scrap wood on it which then came down on top of him.
It knocked him out for about 30 seconds...
He was/is a good friend, but it happened so hard and fast... I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pass out...
I guess you had to be there...
I don't have to be there Dude.... that's funny as hell!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts