Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nightster Prankster
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Harley gang! I have been a sportbike rider for bout 10 years now. I am into ol skool hotrods and the solid black nightster really caught my eye. My pops just bought a police addition roadking. He had been looking at roadkings and I found this one on a car lot and rode it to his shop. He was an owner an hour later.:eek: Anyway, riding the bike got me to thinking about a Harley.

Chad

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Hey Chad... Welcome. Will find a sportbiker inside some/many of us (including me) and an affection for all kinds of things two wheeled -- and especially for the great bikes from Milwaukee.

Nightster. Cool bike. Ask away with any questions.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome Chad and just yesterday at the hd shop I seen a 1200 black nightster and it was totally Awesome. I would love to add it to my stable.

·
Nightster Prankster
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These jap bikes really don't need much maintenance. What about this bike. Anything I need to know, look out for, or expect? Dealer says as long as I have them do first service and keep receipts on Harley parts that I can do services myself and not void warranty.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
These jap bikes really don't need much maintenance. What about this bike. Anything I need to know, look out for, or expect? Dealer says as long as I have them do first service and keep receipts on Harley parts that I can do services myself and not void warranty.
Welcome to the forum. You made a great choice of motorcycle there. Congrats. I think you will find your bike to be highly reliable and a pleasure to ride. The service manual is very good thing to have. It will tell you everything you need to know about your bike. DragginWagon, Talk about old school cool. The nightster has it for sure. I'm a big fan of the black and orange model. Harleys racing colors before there were jap bikes. Good luck to both of you.

·
Registered
42,903 Posts
I really like the Nightster as well. Debating on when to add one to my stable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
A buddy at work bought a Nightster (black and green). It's in an 883 frame- I recommend getting forward controls so you don't feel too cramped.

·
Registered
42,903 Posts
A buddy at work bought a Nightster (black and green). It's in an 883 frame- I recommend getting forward controls so you don't feel too cramped.
Thats the one I like, Black/Olive, atleast from the pics on the HD website. Id like to see some other pics too. Around here, the Nightsters dont sit around in the dealerships very long.

I second the service manual recommendation. The way I look at it, if you do one service, you've paid for the book from the labor charge savings most dealers charge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats the one I like, Black/Olive, atleast from the pics on the HD website. Id like to see some other pics too. Around here, the Nightsters dont sit around in the dealerships very long.
I liked the black and white one until he bought the black and olive one-- it is very retro looking and looks much better "live" than on the website. Either way, it is a very cool bike. He had a hell of a time finding one because as you said, they don't sit on the floor very long.

We changed out his stock pipes and installed V&H short shots w/ a the fuel pak. We also took off the heat shield and wrapped the pipes in exhaust wrap up to the mounts and he had the ends of the pipes painted flat black. It looks really good (wish I had a pic!!)

It's a blast to ride.

·
Nightster Prankster
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I can't find any new ones around here. The day I sold my sportbike the one here sold. The used one I found was bought in May and has 800 miles. It included forward controls,V&H exhaust, etc... Maybe one day he will call back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You may have to place an order with a dealer. My guess is if they are selling as fast as I think they are, the ones that are coming into the dealer are already sold so if they are even put out on the showroom floor, it's to drive interest.

I would estimate that if you ordered one it would be at least a 60-day wait. But it may be longer for a really popular bike. Your other route is to see if your dealer can do a dealer trade with someobody else. Someobdy somewhere put the deposit down on the bike and for whatever reason doesn't buy the bike. That's how my buddy got his. Heck, the dealer right by me has been taking the 883s they have and trying to make them look like Nighsters to satisfy the appetite. Guess what-- they are selling!!!!

·
Registered
42,903 Posts
Heck, the dealer right by me has been taking the 883s they have and trying to make them look like Nighsters to satisfy the appetite. Guess what-- they are selling!!!!
That is really what I would want, a 883 Nightster. That way I could take the price difference and apply it to a 88" Nallin Racing upgrade. :bat

Im guessing that your dealer isnt selling them at 883 prices tho.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, I can't find any new ones around here. The day I sold my sportbike the one here sold. The used one I found was bought in May and has 800 miles. It included forward controls,V&H exhaust, etc... Maybe one day he will call back.
Welcome! Did ya ever get a bike?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts