Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After not riding for a couple of days I checked my tires yesterday with bike on the jack/lift. Rear tire was down 20 lbs from 42 to 22. Front was good. Also checked with gauge on my Slime plug-in small compressor--same readings. Last checked/added air about 3 weeks ago. Aired up rear tire. Checked it few minutes ago, doesn't seem to have lost any air since yesterday afternoon. Would still being on the lift with tires off the ground make any difference with a small leak? Would riding cause a small leak to lose air but not riding with a small leak and NO air loss? Let the bike down off the lift--will check tires again tomorrow and will ride some then check again. Don't understand how I lost 20 lbs. of air then no air loss since airing back up yesterday afternoon.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Pressure is pressure on or off the lift, besides 20 psi is way too much to lose either way. You could have a leaking valve stem, take the cap off, put some spit on the open stem, see if it bubbles. Also if you've got a nail in a tubeless tire, if you park just right the tire will go down fast, versus just losing a pound or two over time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressure is pressure on or off the lift, besides 20 psi is way too much to lose either way. You could have a leaking valve stem, take the cap off, put some spit on the open stem, see if it bubbles. Also if you've got a nail in a tubeless tire, if you park just right the tire will go down fast, versus just losing a pound or two over time. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Bruce. I tried a little spit and the valve stem appears OK. Will have more time tomorrow to get the back wheel up some and get down with a drop light and do a thorough tire exam. But if I don't find a nail or staple or something I may go ahead and get my indy to put a new tire on as I am scheduled to drop it to him Wednesday or Thursday for 15,000 mile service. And even if I don't find anything in the tire I know it wasn't my imagination losing 20 lbs. of air so something is wrong somewhere. And from what I've read a lot of guys don't get too much more than 15,000 out of a rear tire anyway.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Gold's post is solid.

You could always soap that tire and see if she bubbles. If you just checked a couple weeks ago, 20 psi is serious. Something's up. Good luck and let us know, Joe.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
You could always soap that tire and see if she bubbles.
Good point, I've found 409 or Fantastic shows bubbles real fast, just spray it on.. good for finding gas leaks on natural gas or propane too.

Yup, I go through a rear tire pretty fast too, but I do enjoy the traction so I'm reluctant to change from the Dunlop.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
24k on my stock Dunlop rear. If I'd only buy my bars I could go buy tires.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
24k on my stock Dunlop rear. If I'd only buy my bars I could go buy tires.
Do you still have tread on that thing?? It wasn't too good looking at 22K if I recall..

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
The indicators are officially the thickest part of the tire in the middle. Plenty of tread in turns though, lol.

20% off tires and tubes on October 20th. It will be done.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder about you there Chief . :what?

Yeah, not my smartest decision. But I've been saving for bars for years now and finally have the bread. When I told the OL I needed tires, she said, "oh good, you have plenty of money in the bars fund."

So, I'm ordering the bars today. She doesn't understand the difference between maintenance and mods. One is for safety, the other is for awesome.

Sometimes, awesome has to trump safety, if only temporarily.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yeah, not my smartest decision. But I've been saving for bars for years now and finally have the bread. When I told the OL I needed tires, she said, "oh good, you have plenty of money in the bars fund."

So, I'm ordering the bars today. She doesn't understand the difference between maintenance and mods. One is for safety, the other is for awesome.

Sometimes, awesome has to trump safety, if only temporarily.
We will just have to agree to disagree. :)

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
We will just have to agree to disagree. :)

The last sentence was a joke. If I thought the tire was unsafe it'd be replaced or the bike would sit on the bench until I could. Thanks for caring.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The last sentence was a joke. If I thought the tire was unsafe it'd be replaced or the bike would sit on the bench until I could. Thanks for caring.
Sometimes new eyes see things in a different light . I'd not see you take any chances, with your life, for love nor money . :)

I can buy all the "iron" in the world, I can't buy life nor body parts. :thumb

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I've seen Chief's tire up close. It's not terrible. I've definitely seen worse.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,531 Posts
I've seen people ride with the threads showing. Scary, but the tire held until they finally noticed when a few of us asked if he was going for the record.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Relax guys, I've ridden with Chief there's no question in my mind he would not do anything thats unsafe.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Relax guys, I've ridden with Chief there's no question in my mind he would not do anything thats unsafe.

Thanks, Gold. I appreciate that you still think so after our last outing. :eek

1 - 20 of 25 Posts