Harley Davidson Forums banner

Thinking about a '16 King

8K views 53 replies 38 participants last post by  dub 
#1 ·
Pretty close on pulling the trigger on a '16 King. Always wanted one but seems like HD is not getting the respect they once did saying how they are giving bikes away with great discounts, etc. (by folks who were HD riders and now Indian riders). I stopped and looked at an Indian and they are nice to look at but appear rather cheap. I don't think I could put my hard earned money into one, and saying they are loads better than a HD, I just don't know. Still deciding.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. HD is a great bike IMO. HD is also a family! Don't know anyone that rides an Indian, so I really don't know anything about them. Quite frankly I never will.

Reactions: 7even
#3 ·
That is the first that I heard Indian appear "cheap"?.....I think the fit and finish is awesome. However, the paint jobs are far from stellar but Polaris is aware of the problems and are working on it. The same can be said about Victory motorcycles.

Harley is losing sales but mostly due to the baby boomers all have bikes that they are happy with and this economy really blows right now. Although Harley has its share of problems, they do make a beautiful and strong motorcycle.

No motorcycle is perfect by any means, don't get too hung up on the tank badge. Test ride as many as you can and choose what fits YOU. I am by no means a Harley fanboy. I've owned many different brands and styles and IMHO my Road King is the cats meow......

Welcome to the site from Alberta!

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum and a great choice of models. They don't call it the King for nuthin'. Timeless styling and endless touring! Long live the King!

#7 ·
#13 ·
Welcome to the forum. I may be unpopular for saying this, but this is my opinion....

I didn't buy the HD because it was an HD. I have owned amazing motorcycles and enjoyed every one of them. Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Hondas.... Liked every one of them for their purposes and reasons. But then I sat on an HD. I tried them all, from the Sportster all the way to my final choice, the Ultra Classic.

My point is, in all of the miles I logged on every other bike, I didn't feel my soul stirred until I sat on an HD. And now, all these miles later, I'm still a relative newbie, and the sensation, feeling, love and passion have not ebbed.

There are some truly remarkable bikes on the market today. Find one that stirs your soul. Your spirit. If it's an Indian, ride it an love it.

But if it's a Harley, well, it's a matter of the ride, the road, the family, the people, the history, the soul.

But only if it moves yours....

Just my opinion.

#21 ·
Reactions: phyhowe
#15 ·
Yeah, the Indian will fool you, looks huge and heavy (they are), but rides nimble! And well thought out controls and I am sure there will be a lot of custom goodies out there for them in the near future.

#18 ·
How much was the Indian and how much can you buy the new Harley Road King for? I heard my local dealer sold his last 2015 Road Kings for $15k+change but I am not sure he was straight up with me. This same dealer says he will be discounting the 2016 model real heavy this month and next but I have no idea what that is equal to in cash. I can't decide what model I want to buy. I like the Road Glide but I want a bike that is suited for 2up riding and not sure if the Road Glide would be a good choice. I tested a 2015 Road King and Electra Glide but have not ridden the Road Glide or the Street Glide yet.

#19 ·
How much was the Indian and how much can you buy the new Harley Road King for? I heard my local dealer sold his last 2015 Road Kings for $15k+change but I am not sure he was straight up with me. This same dealer says he will be discounting the 2016 model real heavy this month and next but I have no idea what that is equal to in cash. I can't decide what model I want to buy. I like the Road Glide but I want a bike that is suited for 2up riding and not sure if the Road Glide would be a good choice. I tested a 2015 Road King and Electra Glide but have not ridden the Road Glide or the Street Glide yet.
Both are touring bikes........... good for two up and unlimited miles of fun . :thumb

#22 ·
I've been looking at the '16 Road King too. I'd like to replace my SuperGlide Custom but the local dealer has changed hands and the new corporate guy doesn't seem to want to talk about anything but list price.

Does anyone know what a Black RK with ABS actually costs a Dealer, or how much if anything is a normal markdown from list? Any bargaining chips?

Thanks

#28 ·
Hey Willie, thanks for the reply. The Dealers here have sold their '15s.
They call or email just about every day, so they seem hungry but they don't really do much when I go there.

I spoke to the Salesguy again yesterday on the phone who said they had a couple of RKs in. I told him I'd ride by and have a look. We ended up taking out. RK, StreetGlide and a Heritage while the "numbers" guy was "crunching" their "best" deal.

When all was said and done with my trade and cash it added up to $23K total. I asked how that was possible when even using list and adding The BS 435 for freight, a King with ABS, Color, and Security only added up to $20,825 plus tax.

Their profit margin is roughly 3K on a RK, (and I fully expect them to make a fair profit on a bike, that's what keeps them in business), but I think he was adding while he was "crunching the best deal" instead of subtracting. Honestly I was thinking $20 - $21K total out the door so we're not that far apart.

I left it at "Hey, I'm interested in the bike. Let me know if you guys come up with a more agreeable price for both of us and I'll pick it up, thanks for your time".

I'm not holding my breath, but I've got 2 bikes in the garage I'm happy with. while I like the King, I'm not going to just open my wallet and empty it for one.

#31 ·
Yeah I pay up front and I've got Clean Titles. I think it's just the game. We'll see what they come back with next week. It's a long winter, so if it doesn't work now I can wait until Feb or March when they might be a little more eager to move something as well.

Like I said I fully expect them to make some money, but I don't make any deal that doesn't make sense for everyone. There's a middle ground to be reached on any purchase.

#32 ·
They seem to be asking way to much for their King.
Get on the phone and call a bunch of other dealers.

You should be able to get a better price on exactly what want.
then you can beat up your local dealer with their price. If they don't budge, eff 'em buy it elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.