Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I currently ride a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird. I've really enjoyed this bike and it's my 3rd Triumph. I really love the brand.. but I'm getting the itch for something new.

Ive only ever owned and ridden one HD.. and it was years ago. A 1996 HD Sportster. I hated it.

Anyway.. I'm thinking about a street glide and I'm hoping to do a demo in the near future. Can you all share your experience with your bikes? Pros and cons?

Thx.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There's pros and cons to every bike, The street glide has the slick look with pretty much all the touring accessories except the rear trunk and a nice ride. Its also HD's best seller. getting the 4 docking station will enable the quick release for a luggage rack and seat type.

But I like the baggers, those are my favorite...especially the CVO's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like baggers too. My current triumph is set up as a bagger (more equal to a road king tho). I've looked at the Indian. It's a nice bike.. but I can't get past the ugly fairing. And the victory baggers are not much to look at either (in my opinion). I do like the Street Glide look tho.

Are there any known issues I should look for or research?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I really like my 14' Street Glide. I had a Sportster, then a Fat Boy, now the Street Glide. It's my favorite of the three. Great ride and handling. Plenty of storage for long or short trips. The options you can add for two up riding or customization are endless. The infotainment has its issues but all in all worth every penny. I have zero regrets. I'm sure you'll like it and won't regret it.

"Whatever it is, it's better in the wind"

·
Banned
71 Posts
I like baggers too. My current triumph is set up as a bagger (more equal to a road king tho). I've looked at the Indian. It's a nice bike.. but I can't get past the ugly fairing. And the victory baggers are not much to look at either (in my opinion). I do like the Street Glide look tho.

Are there any known issues I should look for or research?
Once you go Ultra.............. :wink

·
Registered
985 Posts
The 14 and newer Rushmore bikes are a big change from the older models. And it seems that not many people leave them as they came off the showroom floor, exhaust, intake, and tuner are the most popular mods, followed by aftermarket windscreen, back rests, and seats. Of course all of this depends on your riding style and what you really want to get out of your riding experience.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have gone from a Low Rider to a Heritage Classic and 3 weeks ago went to an Electra Glide Ultra Classic and the main reason was for more comfort, handling and ride.I tried to make the Heritage feel like a touring bike but was only kidding myself. At one time I didn't like the look of a windshield and backrest and so on but as I got older there is nothing like more comfort!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
welcome to the forum
test ride and rent on for weekend or day test ride is only a short ride
does not do bike justice
find out which bikes feel right then ask here for things to look for

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome to the forum
test ride and rent on for weekend or day test ride is only a short ride
does not do bike justice
find out which bikes feel right then ask here for things to look for

I actually took one for a nice test ride yesterday. I was out for about an hour and did some nice back roads and a short run on the highway. I was very impressed.

It was comfortable.. tho different from my current bike. I suppose nothing I wouldn't adapt to. The bars were my only issue. I felt they need to be slightly wider (maybe 1-2" wider).. and slightly more pulled back. Another thing I thought was strange is the left and right turn signals buttons are on the left and right side. Every bike I've ever ridden had a single switch on the left.

The bike had good power. Better then I expected and the 103 actually felt stronger then the Indian 111 that I recently tested.

I'm also interested in the Ultra so that's my next test ride.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I actually took one for a nice test ride yesterday. I was out for about an hour and did some nice back roads and a short run on the highway. I was very impressed.

It was comfortable.. tho different from my current bike. I suppose nothing I wouldn't adapt to. The bars were my only issue. I felt they need to be slightly wider (maybe 1-2" wider).. and slightly more pulled back. Another thing I thought was strange is the left and right turn signals buttons are on the left and right side. Every bike I've ever ridden had a single switch on the left.

The bike had good power. Better then I expected and the 103 actually felt stronger then the Indian 111 that I recently tested.

I'm also interested in the Ultra so that's my next test ride.
As an Ultra owner, I think that many others would agree - though it's all about personal preference, the Ultra allows for a comfort and ease that is not necessarily better than the SG just, different. I had a 2001 GL1800 (i know, not a Triumph) which I traded in on my Ultra, and say that only to say that for me, and knowing that I like long rides 2-up, I fell in love with Ultra. 18,xxx miles later, love it even more. First bike I've ever owned that hasn't gotten "old". Still like looking at it when it's waxed and all shined up. Still like to look back at it when I park. Still love the feeling that I experienced my very ride.

It's the soul of Harley, to me. And the Ultra, for me, typifies that best. But that is my preference.

Take one a long, winding road....

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
I went from a Sportster to a 2007 Ultra Classic. 62,000 miles later, I would not and refuse to part ways with it. To me it's the epic American ride!

Reactions: 7even

·
American
28,686 Posts
Ultra .... Awesome

Reactions: 7even

·
American
28,686 Posts
:popcorn
Pass the butter please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha. That's the biggest crap story I've ever heard. Don't blame HD for your bags getting stolen. Any determined thief will figure out a way to steal whatever it is they're after. And I've watched tons of review videos and read lots of forums that rave about the new saddlebag and latch design.

You should head over to McDonald's and get some dinner. Perhaps a wah-burger and some French-cries!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Don't bother buying one,the panniers fall off and are easily stolen. Their customer service is absolutely crap, excuses excuses, they have a recall on the securing pins and that doesn't even work. The dealers are now selling bagger bolt kits to prevent these issues so why the hell don't they fit them at source and prevent the issues. I hired one from Woodstock Harley in Illinois,they spend time showing you how to tune the radio in but fail to tell you there is an issue with the saddle bags/boxes, and mine were stolen even though they were locked,and even after numerous e.mails they don't bother to reply.All they were bothered about was getting500 dollars excess from me. I feel strongly about this and will get onto every forum I can in the uk and America to hopefully prevent anyone going through the same as me.IHad every intention of selling my Kawasaki and buying a Harley when I got home to England but there's more chance of me shitting dollar bills than buying one of these pieces of crap. Regards ian
You would look way better on a Kawi anyway......Leave the Harleys to the real men......:grin

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't bother buying one,the panniers fall off and are easily stolen. Their customer service is absolutely crap, excuses excuses, they have a recall on the securing pins and that doesn't even work. The dealers are now selling bagger bolt kits to prevent these issues so why the hell don't they fit them at source and prevent the issues. I hired one from Woodstock Harley in Illinois,they spend time showing you how to tune the radio in but fail to tell you there is an issue with the saddle bags/boxes, and mine were stolen even though they were locked,and even after numerous e.mails they don't bother to reply.All they were bothered about was getting500 dollars excess from me. I feel strongly about this and will get onto every forum I can in the uk and America to hopefully prevent anyone going through the same as me.IHad every intention of selling my Kawasaki and buying a Harley when I got home to England but there's more chance of me shitting dollar bills than buying one of these pieces of crap. Regards ian
Don't hold back tell us how you really feel?....:laughing

Profits are low in this economy and will be for some time in the future. I've had my share of grief with metrics and their warranty/customer service in the past. :wink

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks for putting that mental picture out there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts