Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 FLSTC Soft Tail Heritage Deluxe
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on the internet at a local dealer and thought it looked like a half decent buy for $2399:

What do you guys think?????????

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The 883 is a blast running around town and nimble in congested traffic.
They handle speeds up to 70 with ease. At 80 mph don't expect power to get out of a sticky situation.

The 883 can be upgraded to 1200.
There's quite a difference on top end.
The1200 easily cruises at 85 with power available in reserve. Just gotta hang on or, add on some wind protection.

Test ride and put it to work, before putting down the $$. Inspect the date code on the tires before riding!
Old (over 5 yrs) rubber may look fine. But, they will be hardened and dry. Making them lose grip. Like riding on train wheels!

When I ride my wife's 1200 Sporty, it feels like I'm on a mini bike (with BALLZ), compared with riding my Ultra. I really have fun zipping along the Ortega Highway on the Sporty. It's easy to go a lot faster than planned in the twisties! All over the chicken rings on that bike!

Reactions: wombat457

·
Premium Member
1997 FLSTC Soft Tail Heritage Deluxe
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott,

I don't ride too much over 60 MPH any more so the top end speed wouldn't be an issue for me. The bottom line though is I am thinking about buying it for a newbie to learn to ride on and then buy down the track.

That being said, I do like a "fun bike" ;)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I don't ride too much over 60 MPH any more so the top end speed wouldn't be an issue for me. The bottom line though is I am thinking about buying it for a newbie to learn to ride on and then buy down the track.

That being said, I do like a "fun bike" ;)
There's a whole long story behind this; in the interest of time and not wanting to write a novel. The short version:
I bought my Ultra, the next day my friend and coworker Eric, tells me he has a Harley. It was gifted to him, but he never rode and it was in need of some mechanical attention. He wanted to sell it, so he could buy a bike to learn on.

I had to explain that he owned the perfect learning bike! A free to him 2003 XL883C. He didn't know how to work on bikes. I can! So, the next weekend we got it running. The next, we got it rolling on its own power. The 3rd weekend it got new rubber! Hence my comments about tire dates! Then we made plans for Eric, my wife and I all to take the MSF class through Riverside HD. (This is a whole nother novel)...

A year later, my wife is practicing on Erics, bike and Eric is riding dailey to work. One day we were changing bars on it. I'm trying to dial in the controls to fit him... How's this, how's that ect... Eric was flustered as he didn't know how its supposed to fit / feel. So I told him to take my bike and go... "Just go and play with it, you'll see how its supposed to fit you and how that feels."

He rolled back in about 30 min later... said " I WANT ONE OF THESE!" A month later he bought a SGS and kept his Sporty. While my wife found her XL1200 C.

That's a long way around the block to say: I 100% recommend the Sportsters! 883 or 1200, Not just to learn on but, they are great reliable bikes! That just happen to be a kick in the arse to ride!

$2400 is a reasonable price tag for a learner imho. Depending on the "maturity of the student". I can not overemphasize taking the MSF beginner course! To get the ball rolling. From there it's just a bunch of baby steps!

Again, Rubber parts will be the headache. Tires, hoses, and the like. Not difficult to overcome.

Hover over my avatar then click on either the 3 under showcase or the 7 under media to see a pic of the bikes i have been telling you about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts