Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted here before, but it's been a while. My current (and first) bike is a Sporty 1200C and I love her.

I've been thinking of finding a cheap metric to mess around with as my first project bike. I'd like to chop it a little and make it in to a WWII-esqe bobber. But I'm not really sure.

Just wanted to ask for some suggestions. Any input is appreciated! I'm not a great mechanic and I completely expect to screw up somewhere down the road, that's why I want the cheap old metric loll.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
Yamaha SX650, big aftermarket on those.

Also the classic SOHC or DOHC Honda CB750, huge aftermarket on those as well.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
I agree with Kainam - I have a buddy who has two of these Yamahas as baskets in his barn waiting for him to build as bobbers for he and his wife. Real nice unit construction air cooled 4-stroke with simple points ignition, visually appealing industrial design, and the parallel twin has a really cool sound.

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
If it were me, I would look for a basket case Shovel or Ironhead. I have seen some craigslist deals that would be great starter bikes and parts are common & cheap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to build a custom and use a shovel head, but I'm not sure if I want that to be my first project. I thought about messing with my Sporty, but I don't want to hurt her lol. I'm thinking of a metric that I wouldn't care about messing up on, here and there. If I started on a HD, unless it was dirt cheap, I'd feel a little nervous about messing up. I'm thinking that the HD is the goal once I know a little more about what I'm doing lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm not too concerned with the engine size, since this will be my first time customizing and cutting/painting. If I do a good job, I'll sell her and get a HD to work around with.

For speed and bada$$ery I'll hop on my Sporty

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
You'd have difficulty maintaining highway speeds with a 400, especially hilly areas like KY....

Kansas maybe you'd get away with it.... if the wind was at your back.

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
I had a '78 Hawk 400 in high school in Louisiana. I got 80 out of it on a good day. It would do 60 no problem.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
Out here, 80 is highway speed. :D

Also have to consider passing 2 semis back to back on a 2 lane here.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
ex FIL had a 400 yammie. here in rural s.e. Kansas, around town was about all it was good for. for practicing customizing, it might be allright, but they're pretty down on power. just my .02
regards,
dave

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would look to find at least a 750. With that said it will be a real boring ride if you are used to a 1200. The CB750's had plenty and are comparable to todays bikes.

My buddies 750 Shadow is parked in my garage for the winter. I have rode it many times, and it is painfully slow. My other buddy I ride with all the time has a 1200 sporty, and we are about even. I have a 2013 Dyna with a 96 (1584CC) on a drag race. His bike has top end, mine has low end torque.

A 400 has neither.

If you are looking at older bikes I'm sure you can find something bigger than a 400 for the same price. To me that is a starter bike. Not a bike to chop up for fun. At the end of the day you would still have a gutless wonder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts