Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last year or so it just hasn't been as fun as it used to be. It is to hot out and there are way too many cagers out there trying to kill me. Of the last 5 rides I've been on I've had to make pretty significant defensive moves on four of them.

I think I'm going to buy a Corvette.

·
weird member
2,231 Posts
Hey man, I get it.

Tratfic is steady getting worse where I live and I often complain to my wife about how annoying it is, that I am enjoying less and less of my rides because I am too busy watching out for idiots to actually enjoy my ride. Though, at least the city is trying to step up a little, just saw a lighted road-construction type sign the other day on one of the main highways into town that read "regional traffic, avoid delays, use the bypass" (way too many people just pass right through the center of town and badly bottleneck stuff). They're also installing those interstate type signs that are big and green and tell you which way to go, trying to get more people that are just passing through to actually use the bypass rather than the business highway.

Personally, I could never give up riding, at least not now (though I don't think ever, even 40 years from now if I live as long). But I do get it. I'd rather bomb the world and plunge everything into chaos, deplete the population by 75% and have a post-apocalyltic, Mad Max type anarchy just so I could have some riding freedom. Say what you want about the apocalypse, but in all the movies... traffic is never an issue. Plus, bad ass tire armor.

No matter how bad traffic gets here, I can always find places and times to ride where I can enjoy my ride though. When Auburn and Alabama (college football) play each other, the streets are deader than Sunday morning during church service hours. You'd swear this place was a ghost town. Speaking of, Sundays between 9 am and 1 pm, streets are pretty dead. There's also back roads that aren't too bad as far as traffic is concerned.

If you really enjoy riding, I'd personally try to find places and times to ride before giving up the bike, but it's your call.

·
American
26,543 Posts
For the last year or so it just hasn't been as fun as it used to be. It is to hot out and there are way too many cagers out there trying to kill me. Of the last 5 rides I've been on I've had to make pretty significant defensive moves on four of them.

Hope ya get top dollar for the bike..... I know around here they have Corvette clubs..... they wear funny lookin hats though!

Attachments

·
red sport.
380 Posts
Thinking of selling my bike

Well I got mine up for sale (Sportster) I'm not giving up riding, I'm almost 84 I've dropped it 3 times in parking lots & ever time I got hurt so, I got me a Free Wheeler should have got one long ago. Traffic seems to notice me more, have a black Modular Helmet want a white one.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
If I had to ride regularly in moderate to heavy traffic I wouldn't be riding much. Fortunately, we live on the NE edge of the Louisville metro area and I can take a couple of the not usually too heavily traveled 2 lane roads and in less than 15 minutes I am in an adjacent semi rural county with pretty good riding choices. My after dinner rides into the next county(s) are my most enjoyable local rides. Lots of twisties, some really narrow barely 1 lane roads, some really long straightaways with hardly a side street or driveway entrance suitable for some WOT running, shady roadways along the river, couple of places to grab a coffee or a tea, friendly folks everywhere, etc., etc. Did I mention all the wildlife I see on those rides into the semi rural counties? Fuking deer all over the place! Even with all the deer those forays beat the hell out of riding traffic light to traffic light always wondering if the cage behind you will stop in time. If I lived in a congested area and didn't have reasonably quick access to decent riding areas I might not be riding at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I had to ride regularly in moderate to heavy traffic I wouldn't be riding much. Fortunately, we live on the NE edge of the Louisville metro area and I can take a couple of the not usually too heavily traveled 2 lane roads and in less than 15 minutes I am in an adjacent semi rural county with pretty good riding choices. My after dinner rides into the next county(s) are my most enjoyable local rides. Lots of twisties, some really narrow barely 1 lane roads, some really long straightaways with hardly a side street or driveway entrance suitable for some WOT running, shady roadways along the river, couple of places to grab a coffee or a tea, friendly folks everywhere, etc., etc. Did I mention all the wildlife I see on those rides into the semi rural counties? Fuking deer all over the place! Even with all the deer those forays beat the hell out of riding traffic light to traffic light always wondering if the cage behind you will stop in time. If I lived in a congested area and didn't have reasonably quick access to decent riding areas I might not be riding at all.
I live in the DC metro area. It takes me an hour to go 18 miles to work, and it's literally all but half a mile or so on 1 road. The thing a about riding here is I'm hyper aware when I ride. I know what a car is going to do before they do it. There's a lot of country roads near me too so I try to get in a nice relaxing ride about once a week at least. Makes it worth it I think

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts

I know exactly where you are coming from, brother. Give it a little more time to think long and hard before you let'er go. I sold my King back in February or March of this year and wish I still had her. As with you, I got board of riding within a 100 mile radius from here, the population along with the traffic is booming in the MB metro area, and long distance multi-state traveling on the scoot isn't in my future.

However, as they say, timing is everything. Soon after I sold the bike my doberman tore his ACL and $4400 of bike money went to the Vet bill. On top of this, I recently had an accident at work and had a complete tear of my right rotator cuff which will require a shoulder replacement.

So in my situation, the sale of the bike was met to be. Maybe not so for you. If you have no pressing need for money, your bike is in no need of updating or major repair, and you are physically able to ride more years, I'd keep the bike. I'll agree, Corvettes are nice, but their insurance premiums aren't.

·
American
26,543 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from, brother. Give it a little more time to think long and hard before you let'er go. I sold my King back in February or March of this year and wish I still had her. As with you, I got board of riding within a 100 mile radius from here, the population along with the traffic is booming in the MB metro area, and long distance multi-state traveling on the scoot isn't in my future.

However, as they say, timing is everything. Soon after I sold the bike my doberman tore his ACL and $4400 of bike money went to the Vet bill. On top of this, I recently had an accident at work and had a complete tear of my right rotator cuff which will require a shoulder replacement.

So in my situation, the sale of the bike was met to be. Maybe not so for you. If you have no pressing need for money, your bike is in no need of updating or major repair, and you are physically able to ride more years, I'd keep the bike. I'll agree, Corvettes are nice, but their insurance premiums aren't.
Hey..... we offered to take you here...... :dunno Good ridin part of the year anyway! :kiss

·
Trashy Member
4,478 Posts
We sold our bikes over two years ago. Even though we can be out in the country pretty quick we still had way to many close calls with human and critters alike. I was always a car guy too so going to a Camaro convertible was easy. Of all the people we rode with almost all of them have convertibles now and have sold their bikes.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I guess that day arrives for all of us or our widows. This summer has been horrible for me, lotta life stuff happening. Sold a car I have owned for over 45 years, bike... no way. Haven't done much riding but as long as I can pick a road and get lost I will own it till I'm physically not able. Do what you feel is best, your the only one walking in those boots.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have 2 bikes and 2 corvettes.
The vettes aren't much better than bikes when it comes to idiots on the road.
They all want to challenge or race you.
I understand your predicament as it's not fun when your not relaxed and tensed up.
Fortunately I live out in farm country and we ride mostly what we call the alphabet roads, county A,C,D.....you get the idea.
Good luck it's not an easy decision either way.

·
Registered
472 Posts

While I hate to hear about another rider hanging it up, I certainly understand. You have to do what's best for you, and a Corvette ain't a bad compromise. :wink

Being a new rider myself and getting into motorcycles later in life, I see it as a double-edged sword. On one hand, I'm grateful for all the technology advances that are available now as opposed to when I was a 'kid' (EFI, ABS, etc.), but the simple fact that so many cagers are distracted on the road really has me dismayed.

I still have anxiety about riding. I'm usually okay while I'm on the bike. When I pull back into the driveway, I feel like I say "I made it through another one." Some of it is bound to be because of my inexperience. Some of it is due to the fear from my low-side on my first real ride. I'm pushing through as best I can, but seems like every day I see cagers making stupid moves that make me wonder how I'd fare if I were on the Iron and not in my own cage.

Even though I'm still (relatively) young, my physical limitations are going to be a big determining factor. I have a feeling that in order for me to continue riding, I'll be looking at a trike or a quad conversion (for a larger bike) within the next few years. I'll hold out for as long as I can, but it's inevitable. I guess at that point I'll have to decide if I'd rather ride or if I should be looking at a Corvette as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It came to mind when I hurt my knee.
To go to a Trike or back to Hot Rods.
Carmen took the reins and started calling HD shops while we were out. She kept me back on motorcycles.
So hear I’am on 3 wheeler. But I’m still in the wind. Been riding for 32 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's the route I/we are going to end up going. Wife has a bum knee and my wrists/hands are shot. I want to road travel a bunch and as someone who's done it by Mustang, there's no comparison to being in the wind.

Just need to wrap my head around the idea of dropping 30-plus large on a scoot. :wink

·
Registered
472 Posts
The vettes aren't much better than bikes when it comes to idiots on the road.
They all want to challenge or race you.
I can vouch for this. People get stupid. By people, I mean guys. MF'ers in a Corolla all of a sudden think they're AJ Foyt when they pull up next to a performance car. I've never raced a day in my life on streets, but have had some hairy situations due to other driver's utter stupidity.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
My dad hasn’t ridden a mile this year. It the first time that ever happened that I can remember. He just doesn’t enjoy it anymore. Seems to be a lot of that around here. It’s understandable considering it takes an hour of stop and go to get anywhere.

I don’t know anything other than heavy traffic riding. It makes up 75% of my time on the bike.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My dad hasn’t ridden a mile this year. It the first time that ever happened that I can remember. He just doesn’t enjoy it anymore. Seems to be a lot of that around here. It’s understandable considering it takes an hour of stop and go to get anywhere.

I don’t know anything other than heavy traffic riding. It makes up 75% of my time on the bike.

It was like that when I lived in SoCal. One of my favorite roads was an hour in traffic to get there. Then the fun part of the road was about 2 hours, but then you were almost 3 hours from home. So a 2 hour pleasant ride took a 3+ hour investment in traffic and when I got home it didn't feel like it was any fun. The bad outweighed the good. Another favorite road was almost 2 hours to get there, and the fun part was 45 minutes followed by the same return. It got too popular that during the weekend it was full of traffic, mostly ricky racer types, which of course brought more cops. Gave up on that one.

Luckily now in 10 minutes I can be on country back roads, rolling hills, some twisties, and much more enjoyable riding. That aspect of living rural is a big plus.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It was like that when I lived in SoCal. One of my favorite roads was an hour in traffic to get there. Then the fun part of the road was about 2 hours, but then you were almost 3 hours from home. So a 2 hour pleasant ride took a 3+ hour investment in traffic and when I got home it didn't feel like it was any fun. The bad outweighed the good. Another favorite road was almost 2 hours to get there, and the fun part was 45 minutes followed by the same return. It got too popular that during the weekend it was full of traffic, mostly ricky racer types, which of course brought more cops. Gave up on that one.

Luckily now in 10 minutes I can be on country back roads, rolling hills, some twisties, and much more enjoyable riding. That aspect of living rural is a big plus.
We live on border of my city/suburbs, but being a relatively small area, I can be on some nice back roads within 10 minutes as well. If I really want to get lost, 20 minutes west or 30 minutes east will put me out in the middle of nowhere. :smile

·
weird member
2,231 Posts
I think the traffic issue is a growing problem everywhere. Americans are more mobile than ever, carpool less, travel more, etc.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts