Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am in Afghanistan and plan to buy a Slim when I return.

I have a 06 RK custom that is in excellent condition that I was planning on trading it in on a SG. But I have always felt my RK was under powered even though I put exhaust, 211 cams and stage-1. I guess we could call it a power to weight ratio issue.

I got 88ft lbs of torque on my 88ci TC. Figured the new SG would resolve that a bit. But once I started reviewing the type riding I am doing, then looking at the minimalist old school look of the Slim, it was as if I got hit but lightning. "Dude you need a cruiser"

Keep telling myself I do not have to carry much on the bike I need gym cloths and carry a small shooting bag to the range.

Probably put the Motherwell black luggage rack and and a Leaks swing arm bag.

I am thinking V&H Big Boss chrome or black reg length for the exhaust, but perhaps there is a more popular choice out there?

I do not want to loose bottom end torque that's for sure.

Seems maybe the slim is getting popular, 2015 offers more colors than previous years. But not the black denim.

I have already done a little research and it appears if I want to get down more a Softail might not be it. I often drag the ft boards on my RK and apparently the Slim has less lean angle.

At 5'8" I am able to roll my RK custom in parking lots but its not always easy. My RK is 750lbs the Slim is 701 with 98 ft lbs of torque with the 103 at 3000 rpms but I am hearing its really 91 because of the counter balance weight.

Plus Motorcycle-USA dyno tested a 2014 Slim at;
"TC103B put out 84.66 lb-ft of torque at only 3000 rpm, hitting its peak of 67.80 horsepower at 5300 rpm"

Motorcycle-USA sounds really low compared to what HD says. Somebodies wrong they both took their reading at 3000rpms.

I plan to call a dyno tune expert and see what the real deal is on these B engines and torque robbing counter balancer. No idea if it really true. Can not be that bad, plenty people buy Softails and love the smooth ride.

If anyone has Dyno their Softail 103 before and after a stage-1 I would love to see it.

My RK is very bal and easy to ride I try to counter the "on top" of the bike feel by using a solo seat. Prefer it over the touring seat a lot.

My touring days have been numbered the last couple years. Basically work too much. So most of my rides are across town and down the road a bit.

The rubber mounted engine on my RK 88TC does smooth out tremendously once I start going but often enough in town the low rpm shake seems to be getting on my nerves.

Can not help to wonder if I will be seduced by the smoother B motor, but if it does not have a better get up feel than my RK, that will suck!

Like everyone else I will do the Stage-1 intake and exhaust and probably cams later.

Apologize for the long message but I got the fever bad, can not wait to return and get to test riding a Slim!

·
Registered
177 Posts

I have a 06 RK custom that is in excellent condition that I was planning on trading it in on a SG. But I have always felt my RK was under powered even though I put exhaust, 211 cams and stage-1. I guess we could call it a power to weight ratio issue.

I got 88ft lbs of torque on my 88ci TC. Figured the new SG would resolve that a bit. But once I started reviewing the type riding I am doing, then looking at the minimalist old school look of the Slim, it was as if I got hit but lightning. "Dude you need a cruiser"

Keep telling myself I do not have to carry much on the bike I need gym cloths and carry a small shooting bag to the range.

Probably put the Motherwell black luggage rack and and a Leaks swing arm bag.

I am thinking V&H Big Boss chrome or black reg length for the exhaust, but perhaps there is a more popular choice out there?

I do not want to loose bottom end torque that's for sure.

Seems maybe the slim is getting popular, 2015 offers more colors than previous years. But not the black denim.

I have already done a little research and it appears if I want to get down more a Softail might not be it. I often drag the ft boards on my RK and apparently the Slim has less lean angle.

At 5'8" I am able to roll my RK custom in parking lots but its not always easy. My RK is 750lbs the Slim is 701 with 98 ft lbs of torque with the 103 at 3000 rpms but I am hearing its really 91 because of the counter balance weight.

Plus Motorcycle-USA dyno tested a 2014 Slim at;
"TC103B put out 84.66 lb-ft of torque at only 3000 rpm, hitting its peak of 67.80 horsepower at 5300 rpm"

Motorcycle-USA sounds really low compared to what HD says. Somebodies wrong they both took their reading at 3000rpms.

I plan to call a dyno tune expert and see what the real deal is on these B engines and torque robbing counter balancer. No idea if it really true. Can not be that bad, plenty people buy Softails and love the smooth ride.

If anyone has Dyno their Softail 103 before and after a stage-1 I would love to see it.

My RK is very bal and easy to ride I try to counter the "on top" of the bike feel by using a solo seat. Prefer it over the touring seat a lot.

My touring days have been numbered the last couple years. Basically work too much. So most of my rides are across town and down the road a bit.

The rubber mounted engine on my RK 88TC does smooth out tremendously once I start going but often enough in town the low rpm shake seems to be getting on my nerves.

Can not help to wonder if I will be seduced by the smoother B motor, but if it does not have a better get up feel than my RK, that will suck!

Like everyone else I will do the Stage-1 intake and exhaust and probably cams later.

Apologize for the long message but I got the fever bad, can not wait to return and get to test riding a Slim!
First thanks for your service. My 2013 slim gets 86hp @ 3200 and 102 tourque @ 5200. That's after 3000 mile break in. Running full synthetic. 6x9 screaming eagle intake with K&N air filter and Kromewerks slippon mufflers. Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I am in Afghanistan and plan to buy a Slim when I return...

Ditto to Grizzly's "Thank You," and get home safe dude.

Meanwhile, I bought a slim in December and just had my 5000 mile service. I haven't had it on the dyno, but my buddy has a street glide, we run pretty damned equal. I've got Vance & Hines pipes added and stage 1. He's got stage 1 and Reinhart pipes and his dyno tuning results said 82.8 HP and 101.3 Torque at about 3000 RPM.

The critiques are right in that I end up dragging the footboards in tight cornering, but once I got used to it, it was no big deal... Matter of fact, I thought it was fun as shit to drag the board most of the way around corners on Iron Mountain road when I went to Sturgis!

As you said, the minimalist, old school look of the slim is awesome IMO. At highway speeds though, I found myself getting pushed around by the wind. The stock seat allows you to move, or get moved, quite a bit as it is simply a shallow bowl shape. Putting a Memphis Shades Del Rio took care of most of that, but I wasn't happy with the comfort of the seat for longer rides and ended up putting a Corbin on it... which I love. I think a custom sissy bar is next on the list.

Pic prior to the Corbin seat attached

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ditto to Grizzly's "Thank You," and get home safe dude.

Meanwhile, I bought a slim in December and just had my 5000 mile service. I haven't had it on the dyno, but my buddy has a street glide, we run pretty damned equal. I've got Vance & Hines pipes added and stage 1. He's got stage 1 and Reinhart pipes and his dyno tuning results said 82.8 HP and 101.3 Torque at about 3000 RPM.

The critiques are right in that I end up dragging the footboards in tight cornering, but once I got used to it, it was no big deal... Matter of fact, I thought it was fun as shit to drag the board most of the way around corners on Iron Mountain road when I went to Sturgis!

As you said, the minimalist, old school look of the slim is awesome IMO. At highway speeds though, I found myself getting pushed around by the wind. The stock seat allows you to move, or get moved, quite a bit as it is simply a shallow bowl shape. Putting a Memphis Shades Del Rio took care of most of that, but I wasn't happy with the comfort of the seat for longer rides and ended up putting a Corbin on it... which I love. I think a custom sissy bar is next on the list.

Pic prior to the Corbin seat attached
What Hiway bar is that?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
:usa THANK YOU for your service and hope for a safe and speedy return to family and friends !!

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
:USA Thank you for your service!! Be safe out there and be sure to get back home soon!

Why not get a new RK? oh.. I see now, no longer doing a lot of touring...

I can understand the want of a Softail Slim... I was at the dealer the other day and just kept sitting on one... moving away from it... coming back and sitting on it again... beautiful and minimalistic looking bike. Just the perfect look...

Almost felt tempted to bring the Sportster and ride away on the Slim... and they had the 2014 with nice discounts without even fighting for them... You can tell that I am still thinking about it...

Go for it! :thumbsup

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
First of all, thanks for serving brother in arms, be safe and come back soon. My buddy has a Breakout CVO, he is always sharpening the pegs and that bike can move in the wind. Definitely your soul will move while trying to catch up with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts