Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past month I have literally seen this forum start taking a turn for the worst. I'm not pointing fingers or talking about or singling any 1 member out for that matter just posting what I believe should be said before this forum turns into all the others so forgive me for the ones that come on here to help and have a good time-
Every single person on this forum has there own personality (most just dont care about what society thinks about them, just like me) they post differently and most just speak there mind not thinking of how to word there responses to make sure the that one person don't misinterpret what is being said as not to get em all butt hurt. Enough with the BS and all the arguing already! Quit being so selfish and enough with "everyone is out to get me mentality" This is the bad thing about reading what someone is saying, you cant fully understand what a person really means through text as far as emptions/tone is concerned so just relax and have fun! also, When new people get on and post something that might have been talked about but could definetley be a totally different situation let others reply with advice, this is a forum after-all right? Theres absolutely no need to tell someone to use the search function every time u believe this has been covered because most of the time it hasnt!!theres so many different scenarios and not everyone knows that someone getting advice about a bagger can also be used on a dyna, or there bike might be modded a bit differently (EX. its a different bike, different brand, different mods.. And the list goes on and on, oh unless its a post on oil, thats a different story). If u feel like it has already been discussed (again, unless its about oil or somthing very similar that honestly has) then dont click on the post or even better dont reply to it!! Let the ones that are here to help, well help! If u want to biatch and cry go to any of the other Motorcyle enthusiast forums and u will be surrounded by some people u have more in common with. It takes very few to ruin a good thing and This is directed to the ones that continue to post nothing but bitter remarks that do nothing productive. If this gets me banned so be it, I speak my mind and know this has went through more heads than just mine... If any arguments or bashing has gone on lets all put it in the past, not hold grudges and start over.... Wheres Dr. Phil? Aaaaah, group hug!! Keep it real!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is not a drama starter so please understanding the meaning of this if you want to post negatively, I have only good intentions, I know this forum has saved me and a tons of others countess amounts of money as well as given us late bloomers a chance to learn some very important lessons to pass down

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I agree with you Glide.
p.s it has been a long winter.
Also not everyone at first knows how to search,post picks, or do any of the other functions on the Forum.
Just my 5 cents. This due to the fact that Canada has phased out the penny so it's nickels for now.:rollin

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I call it the way I see it.... your right Glide. I've caught myself a few times, but didn't hit the reply.

Now can we get a 118 pound gal on here that drops her sporty??:rollin

·
Registered
377 Posts
You're right GW. I know I've read many emails that sounded a lot different then what the writer intended. Not just here but on other forums and work emails too. I've been called out on other forums for not using the search function when in fact I did but could not find what I was looking for. Too many people are quick to take offense when none was intended and then there are other people that just don't know how to phrase something in a way that isn't offensive. Then of course there are the folks that are just plain ignorant and try to stir the pot. We all have at least one thing in common and that's why we are here in the first place................let's ride!

·
Been There Done That
228 Posts
I agree...Often Its like someone going up to a stranger and asking directions..stranger says ..first introduce yourself, then go find a map and read it, then maybe I'll have time to help you out. :asshat
I have been immensely helped by people on this forum, by public post , private message, and just by reading. Some people need to lighten up a little. :)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I agree...Often Its like someone going up to a stranger and asking directions..stranger says ..first introduce yourself, then go find a map and read it, then maybe I'll have time to help you out. :asshat . . .

I typically ignore the "introduce before helping" concept and generally don't worry too much about whether they'll be a one-and-done poster. Anything I respond with is mostly self-indulgent anyway.

Over time, any forum becomes somewhat of a contribution to the "archive" (if you will). That is, it is really more of a collection of knowledge, experience and opinion more than simply a place to chat. 50 years ago, you gathered in this stuff by sitting around a service station, drinking soda pop and listening to your "elders." These days, you read it on a computer screen.

I also understand that even today, technical aptitude ranges greatly. So, if someone asks a question, be they a newb or vet, I will often search myself or if it is something I know about, I will answer with as much detail as I can. If they don't ever come back and read it, I figure someone else might find it on search sometime down the road, and it will still be helpful.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Over the past month I have literally seen this forum start taking a turn for the worst. I'm not pointing fingers or talking about or singling any 1 member out for that matter just posting what I believe should be said before this forum turns into all the others so forgive me for the ones that come on here to help and have a good time-
Every single person on this forum has there own personality (most just dont care about what society thinks about them, just like me) they post differently and most just speak there mind not thinking of how to word there responses to make sure the that one person don't misinterpret what is being said as not to get em all butt hurt. Enough with the BS and all the arguing already! Quit being so selfish and enough with "everyone is out to get me mentality" This is the bad thing about reading what someone is saying, you cant fully understand what a person really means through text as far as emptions/tone is concerned so just relax and have fun! also, When new people get on and post something that might have been talked about but could definetley be a totally different situation let others reply with advice, this is a forum after-all right? Theres absolutely no need to tell someone to use the search function every time u believe this has been covered because most of the time it hasnt!!theres so many different scenarios and not everyone knows that someone getting advice about a bagger can also be used on a dyna, or there bike might be modded a bit differently (EX. its a different bike, different brand, different mods.. And the list goes on and on, oh unless its a post on oil, thats a different story). If u feel like it has already been discussed (again, unless its about oil or somthing very similar that honestly has) then dont click on the post or even better dont reply to it!! Let the ones that are here to help, well help! If u want to biatch and cry go to any of the other Motorcyle enthusiast forums and u will be surrounded by some people u have more in common with. It takes very few to ruin a good thing and This is directed to the ones that continue to post nothing but bitter remarks that do nothing productive. If this gets me banned so be it, I speak my mind and know this has went through more heads than just mine... If any arguments or bashing has gone on lets all put it in the past, not hold grudges and start over.... Wheres Dr. Phil? Aaaaah, group hug!! Keep it real!

I agree with everything you've said, especially the search thing. Chas said it perfectly in that we're all contributing to the database of knowledge. I've performed many a search and, while the answer I was looking for may have been there, it might have been worded in such a way that needed (for me) further clarification, perhaps. Or, the answer wasn't there. Whatever. The point is that a new thread on an old subject is likely to yield further wealth of knowledge as new members join every day and have their own input to offer.

I still think this is a great place and the best forum on the net. I would say that the only thing I don't like is when people belittle others for a lack of knowledge or being, perhaps, a little green or having their own opinion. We've all been rookies at every single thing we do, so rocking someone's boat for being green, or having a different opinion, is not acceptable to me. Poking fun is one thing - I think that's good - but truly abusing someone ain't.

I have been guilty of getting a bit overzealous when it comes to political subjects, like the gun issue, etc. But I always try to temper my response with understanding.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
don' be no cloud on a sunny day, mon!

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree...Often Its like someone going up to a stranger and asking directions..stranger says ..first introduce yourself, then go find a map and read it, then maybe I'll have time to help you out. :asshat
I ask a stranger for directions once, she( a blond gal) said I'm going that way just follow me. I said fine you lead the way. We got down the road a few miles and she pull to side of the road and stops.

I get off my bike and walk up to her car and she says.... you're gonna take a right about a mile and a half before I do and she takes off???:whoa

·
Try'n to behave
5,522 Posts
If I may also add;

If you ARE offended or feel slighted by something someone has posted, sack up and ask them about it (usually best done by PM unless you want the world to know). Usually misunderstandings can be cleared up with a little further communications.

If that doesn't work, I believe this forum is powered by vbulletin and has the capablitity to add an "ignore" feature (haven't looked to see if it's there because I haven't been to that point with anyone yet), use it. If it's not there, use your internal ignore feature.

Oh yeah. Those little smilies....the ones right over there-----> when you post....they go along way in adding emotions to certain posts, even if they are annoying sometimes.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
I can see a 1 or 2 time poster asking some thing technical , but when they post just to stir the pot for an opinion or to rile people up then I feel the got what they played for. There are so many new members and most of them do post in the new users thread , that usually means they here for the right reasons not just to start some thing .

I think most here sincerely offer good advice whether technical or other wise, mostly pretty strait up folks that have some fun too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think most here sincerely offer good advice whether technical or other wise, mostly pretty strait up folks that have some fun too.

Man, this is exactly why I posted this in the first place, the members here second to none, it is a great place to hangout especially when the fun and BS stays just as that, all fun and games!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts