Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a strutless rear fender on a 1990 softail custom, u literally, hack off the struts that are part of the frame? can some pics get posted of the struts cut off.....i thought u took the chrome ones off and the fender went on top of the frame ones...wasnt expecting to permenately cut my frame up..........

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
The fender, strutless, I am using does require the chopping off of the inner fender horns\struts.
The fender then bolts directly to the swingarm. This eliminates the normal gap needed between tire and original fender for shock travel.
The fender moves with the swingrm and tire. Not with the frame.

Be aware that I do not think the fender is ever intended for a passenger. So if you ever plan on 2 up riding you might want to reconsider.

Can post pics of my chop job later today or tomorrow.

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
Sorry. Forgot about this.
I chopped mine at about the angle of the top of the frame they are welded too. Smoothed them down a bit. Then shot the tops with black rustoleum paint.

Pretty straight forward. I suppose you could always get fancy. Use a little body filler to get the ends real smooth.
Even cut them at an angle, sloping away from from the swing arm.
But I did not want to take a chance of weakening anything by taking away to much metal.

Will get a couple pics up after the honey do list is done and the GF has gone over to her Dad`s.

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
The wrong mounting brackets had been sent. That has been taken care of.
This is the first Softail I have worked on. Was not aware the fuse box and a small relay were attached to the mud flap and original fender. Now that the fender moves with the swingarm I need to figure out just where to relocate them.
Do not want any strain and minimal movement of the harness going to the fuse box.

·
Wayward Son
23,319 Posts
Well after seeing what sort of fender you are going to run in another post. It appears that it mounts to the frame not the swingarm.
So you can pretty much disregard all the above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts