Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably get a different answer from everyone that replies here but here goes.

What's your best recommendation to reduce and/or prevent the light scratches and swirls that show up so badly on HD Vivid Black paint? I keep a cover on mine constantly but it can't stop everything. Just curious what products other people are using and where you can get them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's possible that your cover may be contributing to your problem more than it's helping.

When I had my black sporty I used that colored wax that Turtle Wax makes. It actually worked pretty well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I only have two suggestions to get rid of swirl marks:

1. Use Zaino - the first application takes time because you need to strip off all the old wax. You can learn more about it here: http://www.zainostore.com/

2. Don't apply this stuff or any wax using circular motions - that's where the swirls come in. Apply anything, including soap and water in a front-to-back motion.

Zaino has a product that removes the swirls if they're not real deep. It's expensive stuff but very good.

That's my .02!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firedawg - I do try to make sure it's clean of dust, etc before putting the cover on but i know what you mean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I only have two suggestions to get rid of swirl marks:

1. Use Zaino - the first application takes time because you need to strip off all the old wax. You can learn more about it here: http://www.zainostore.com/

2. Don't apply this stuff or any wax using circular motions - that's where the swirls come in. Apply anything, including soap and water in a front-to-back motion.

Zaino has a product that removes the swirls if they're not real deep. It's expensive stuff but very good.

That's my .02!
What OldMick says...
Don't go in circles! Doesn't really matter what you clean or wax with as long as you avoid making circles.

I also try to never wipe dust off the bike. That rubs it into the wax. I only use a hose to spray the dust off. But then again, I don't wash it real often, so consequently I usually have lots of dust on mine.:D

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I use a circular motion but with a sponge type pad. The sponge type pads are the best for removing the surface scratches.

I also use a California duster after each ride, after it cools down. A California duster (for the painted surfaces) and Windex (for the chrome) keeps me from only having to wash it several times a year and I average 10-15k a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also try to never wipe dust off the bike. That rubs it into the wax. I only use a hose to spray the dust off. But then again, I don't wash it real often, so consequently I usually have lots of dust on mine.:D
might try riding it. . .that blows that dust off too. . . :D

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I use a circular motion but with a sponge type pad. The sponge type pads are the best for removing the surface scratches.

I also use a California duster after each ride, after it cools down. A California duster (for the painted surfaces) and Windex (for the chrome) keeps me from only having to wash it several times a year and I average 10-15k a year.
My California dusters are still real oily and leave oil streaks on the bike. How old are yours? I've used them before and never had the problem.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
My California dusters are still real oily and leave oil streaks on the bike. How old are yours? I've used them before and never had the problem.
Mine will leave the oil marks on the chrome at times. It might be due to the temperature. Mine is probably 3-4 yrs. old. It appears dirty but still works good. The little info. card said the more you use it, the better it gets. I'd suggest using it on the wifes car several times to remove the excess oil.

She'll never know :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts